Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

1) How old are you?
2) What is your job?
3) How long have you/did you work with PD?
4) If you stopped working b/c of PD, exactly why?
5) If you are still working, what are your concerns
about doing your job in the future?

1) 34
2) Currently stay at home with my 3 boys (sometimes I think it will be easier at work, lol).
3) Had symptoms going all the way to 5 yr ago (from what I can remember), walking at work.
4/5) I REALLY want to get back to work when the time is right, and worry that the PD may impair me right when I'm "ready" to go back when kids are older, (my BA is in hotel/restaurant, and my main issue is my gait/walking/rigidity, which scares me considering my field demands walking/standing for long hours.

#22 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:48 AM

with degrees in psychology and theology

You forgot the smiley, no? :razz:

#23 bajansunbabe

bajansunbabe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBarbados / Duncan, BC Canada

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

1) How old are you? 54
2) What is your job? Was Online Communications Officer (web editor) for the Province of British Columbia
3) How long have you/did you work with PD? 5 months (symptoms began September 2008, went on short term disability from November to February, diagnosed February 2009 with PD, work decided they wanted me to come back on a trial basis so did so until early May 2009 then went on long term disability)
4) If you stopped working b/c of PD, exactly why? My boss decided that I could no longer perform my job functions anymore as I could not cope with a 7 hour work day due to fatigue, pain, memory issues, anxiety etc.
about doing your job in the future? N/A

#24 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

1. How old are you? 49

2) What is your job? On disability since May. Was Senior VP and corporate secretary, and chief investor relations officer for a financial services company

3) How long have you/did you work with PD? It took 2 years of finding the right doctor and confirm the diagnosis. I then worked a year after diagnosis.

4) If you stopped working b/c of PD, exactly why? My job was very stressful and I had a lot of executive responsibilities. We were in merger discussions and the stress landed me in the hospital with an anxiety attack. My doctor kept me in the hospital for a week to decompress. It was a wake up call for me.

I'm lucky that my employer offered a LTD benefit. I qualified for full disability at 60% of my salary til age 65. It was a no brainier for me.

about doing your job in the future? N/A

#25 newbob10

newbob10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

1) How old are you? - 47
2) What is your job? HR Director at an architecture firm. Also an architect.
3) How long have you/did you work with PD? - still working. Diagnosed in March. Have been figuring it out for two years prior, and likely had symptoms for years prior
4) If you stopped working b/c of PD, exactly why? - NA
about doing your job in the future? - So far, I am fortunate to be in an understanding environment where I am valued. When I told my firm president, his first response was to ask if there was anything he or the firm could do to help. Next, it was to reassure me that he had not noticed anything, and that my performance has never been in question. All of this was without having to ask. Very reassuring.
Having said that, I worry on those days when I have an energy crash, or when I feel like I cannot concentrate on what's going on because of oncoming symptoms. These periods are brief, and 98% of the time, I can be my old self thanks to medication, but at those times when PD reminds me that it's there, I wonder how long until 98% becomes 88%, then 78% ... I wonder when I'll have to say - I need a change, or I need to leave. I love what I do,

To be honest, most of the time, I honestly believe that the universe and God have lead me through my life this far and there has been a reason for everything that has happened. I know I'm in the beginning of all of this, but I've already seen a bright silver lining to this cloud many times. I know more about myself, I know more about what's important to me (my family and my relationships), and I have learned to be a more observant person of the world.

#26 cberns

cberns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationWolcott, CT

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

1) 36
2) Stay at home dad right now - was a lending manager for a Fortune 50 company for 13 years. The subsidiary closed for business 9/2010. I was DX'd initially 5/2010 but my symptoms were/are still very light so I held off on pursuing LTD. At the time, I was told that I would not be approved due to non severity of my symptoms.
3) Officially, 4 months. In reality, 4 1/2 years. It was a juggling act. My MDS joked that I was the "great pretender" in shielding the PD from my colleagues.
4) N/A
5) More frustrated or worried if I'll ever have a chance to work again. Not giving up on the idea even though I value the time I have been home with my family :)

#27 blep

blep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Let's do a poll!

1) How old are you?
2) What is your job?
3) How long have you/did you work with PD?
4) If you stopped working b/c of PD, exactly why?
about doing your job in the future?

Me:
1) 39 yo
2) ObGyn Physician
3) diagnosed 9 months ago, still working :)
4) still working
5) worried about fatigue and problems with
manipulating my hand being issues in the
future

Thanks for your answers! And if you see someone's answers about future concerns, etc. and have any ideas to help ....throw those out there too!

:) Nikki

Hello Nikki...excuse me, Dr. Nikki!

1. 46
2. Law School Professor...please, no more "those who can, do...those who can't, teach" jokes. I did my time as a litigator. Teaching is better than the ulcer to go along with PD! :???:
3. Diagnosed 10 years ago with symptoms appearing 20 years ago.
4. Still working full time.
5, My PD worries are centered on fighting fatigue and how long I will be effective as a lecturer.

#28 DKBlues

DKBlues

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

How old? 51 or so

Job was spy, killer, thief, whatever the government needed me to do.

Worked 2 years, after starting my PD story, as consultant before having to fully retire.

Made my job too dangerous for me and others.

New job full-time grandpa. Afraid I won't be here to watch them all grow up.

#29 Brad24

Brad24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

1) How old are you? 42 YOA
2) What is your job? State Trooper
3) How long have you/did you work with PD? Still working/Have had symptoms for several years.
4) If you stopped working b/c of PD, exactly why? Still working.
about doing your job in the future? Being able to maintain the same level of fitness, cognitive thinking, weapons
proficiency, and service to the citizens of PA that I have been able to do for over
20 years.
DETERMINATION "In the heart of the strong shines a relentless ray of resolve...It cannot be stopped, it cannot be controlled, and it will not fail."

#30 Nospringsaussie

Nospringsaussie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

1) How old are you? 37
2) What is your job?
Currently Sales Manager. I took 4 steps back in my career due to a great employer and me realizing the need to adjust. Now considering getting back on the career train since successful bilateral DBS
3) How long have you/did you work with PD? Still working, Dx 7 years ago. I should have lost my job about 3 years ago but as noted above great company helped me find a way to do something else. AND they never cut my pay. SO I AM JUST SO VERY FORTUNATE to work for such a compassionate and caring company. This is despite the company being a very successful, rapidly growing public traded company.
4) If you stopped working b/c of PD, exactly why? I keep stepping back because of not being able keep up, then not being able to travel internationally, then not being able to handle stress, then needing lots of flexibility in start time etc. In the end STILL WORKING because I want to, I need to and my company wants to find a way to use my talents be the small and not so reliable as they once were.
5) If you are still working, what are your concerns about doing your job in the future? Do I need to get back on a career path? Will my company remain as accommodating for the next 20 years as they have for the past 7 year? Will my marriage make it? Will DBS continue to be successful? I have so many doubts and concerns I could go on for ever. Since I have there are no real answers I just take it day by day.

#31 Prospector

Prospector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationKy

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

1. 40
2. Pediatric Dentist
3. Diagnosed only a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure I've had symptoms for some time that were written off as stress. Applying for disability presently.

First time poster who is glad to have found this forum. I have action/gravitational tremors, bradykinesia, and rigidity which have made it very hard to practice. I'm taking sinemet and azilect now and it has helped alot, not enough however for me to feel confident about putting needles into kids mouths. I'm hoping my own occ disability policy doesnt give me any trouble.
Dx Nov 2012 at 40

Meds: generic sinemet 25/100 x4 a day
Azilect 1 mg x1 a day

#32 Prospector

Prospector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationKy

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

bump
Dx Nov 2012 at 40

Meds: generic sinemet 25/100 x4 a day
Azilect 1 mg x1 a day

#33 PBar

PBar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

1) How old are you? 41
2) What is your job? Software Engineer for a high tech company (been with the same company for 20 years)

3) How long have you/did you work with PD? Still working. Symptoms began in January 2004 at age 32, officially diagnosed in January 2006.
4) If you stopped working b/c of PD, exactly why? I cannot stop working at this time. I am the sole money earner as my wife is a Marriage and Family Therapist by training (which earns a lot less than I do), but is currently a SAHM with two kids (one of which has Special Needs, which makes it impossible for her to go back to a full time job at this time)
5) If you are still working, what are your concerns about doing your job in the future? My current issue is job satisfaction. My company's health benefits are pretty good and the environment provides me a lot flexibility to see doctors and deal with family issues. However, I don't want to be in a job that I hate, and with my current symptoms, I don't see the possibility of interviews going over very well if I do need to change jobs.

#34 ukfan

ukfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

1. 45
2. I am a Hatchery manager
3. Still working. Diagnosed 2 years this February, but had symptoms since 2003.
4. My job is more administrative, but my concerns are definately my balance and fine motor skills. I can tell when I need Levad. because right hand seizes up. Another big concern is I have played music all my life and that has taken a big hit. I am not the player I use to be and I am concerned when I will have to hang it up. In fact I play in church and the fine motor skills in playing music is the barometer I use to determine how my meds are going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users