4 replies to this topic

#1 noah

noah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

As anyone done any extensive traveling since being dx with pd. I have always wanted to go alaska and am trying to find the money. On one hand i a, excited by the idea, but on the other hand am scared. Concerned about the ability to do all the walking I would need to do ect. I have a loving caring hubbie but am still a little nervous.
Any tips?

#2 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hi noah-

We traveled 2500 miles in a motorhome from Texas to Seattle when I was diagnosed. Now, a little over a year later, we have had to stop park hosting and are parked permanently in an RV park near my PD Center of Excellence. I get tired much more easily, and have to make plans for frequent rest stops if I walk any great distance. I don't know where you might go in Alaska; my husband spent several months exploring Anchorage when his son and daughter-in-law were stationed there in the Army. I will ask him how much walking they did. I know they took a train up into some mountains, but don't think there was a lot of walking involved.

Many people take cruises from Seattle to Alaska. I have no idea of the cost, but it sounds like a restful way to get there! Will you be traveling by car, bus or train, or will you fly there? I have to go to Baltimore for five days at the end of October with my daughter. We plan to explore the DC area. Last time I was there, long before PD, we went to many of the attractions on a van for a single price.

If you belong to AAA or another automobile club, they can help you with finding handicap accessible transportation. Airlines will meet you right inside the terminal to wheel you to your gate in a wheelchair, then take you from the door of the plane to your ground transportation. I use a walker with a seat on it, so I can at least sit and rest any time I need to. I do have to remember to get my naps in.

My husband just came home and said he did very little walking. They went downtown one day to shop, but unless they wanted to go into a park and explore on trails, they usually drove or, as I said, rode the train.

If I can answer any more questions, please let me know. I think with a little extra planning, you could have fun!
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#3 bajansunbabe

bajansunbabe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBarbados / Duncan, BC Canada

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

Hi Noah!

Before I started medication I was a total wreck when I traveled. My anxiety level was through the roof and my mother even had to accompany me on several flights. Now that I have most symptoms under control, I find traveling a breeze. The customs/immigration thing is still hard on the anxiety sometimes but always has been even before PD. I travel with a letter in my passport from my GP that says I travel a lot as the heat helps my symptoms. Last week though while crossing into the U.S. I got questioned a lot about my medication even after showing them the letter. They even asked if I had any "medical marijuana"! They were very pushy and did quite the search of the car and bags.

When I fly, I make sure to ask for wheelchair assistance on my ticket. I have only used it a couple of times when I was stiff and cramped and not able to walk to the next gate. If I have a couple of hours though between flights I am okay to walk. I also usually tell the flight staff of my issues and spend a lot of time standing in the back of the plane, stretching or pacing. I also use to fly to Barbados with no overnight stop but now find it a necessity to break up the flights. I have been on two cruises with PD and find they are enjoyable, my only complaint was the air conditioning in the dining room played havoc with my back pain! On our way back from Barbados next May my mom and I are doing a 21 day Panama Canal cruise. It should be fun as she has never been on a cruise before. Next summer my mom and I are planning to go to Europe, don't know for how long, but it will be a slow trip! My mom will be 77 and wants to see some of her friends possibly for the last time. Flights are cheap within Europe so the trip will involve a few short flights, I know Sweden, Switzerland, Germany and England are on her list. We might take a last minute bus tour or cruise once we get there too since our plans are quite open. We are not taking luggage and instead a small knapsack each with our belongings in it.....I know mine will be a pull one, have already scouted one out that looks like it won't be too hard on the back! In it will be my mainstays: medication, heating pad and handheld massager! Oh yes, the handheld massager comes in handy for long flights or for sitting for any long periods of time.

Anyways, hope this ramble helps you! Traveling is good, keeps your mind busy!

Deanna

#4 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

We have an RV and use that for our traveling. We live in Pennsylvania and in June took the RV to Nashville. I find that we need to stop more often for breaks. Since my hubby hates to stop so often, we are looking to upgrade to a motor home. That way, the bathroom is always available. And, if I'm having an "off" day, I can rest on the bed or sofa while he drives. The other thing we did was buy a compact foldable wheelchair. We keep that on the RV so it's there if I need it.

We've decided that we're going to travel as much as we can, adjusting some of the basics, and enjoy life because we don't know how the disease will progress for me. I do get anxious before we leave on a trip which I think will lessen with a motor home.

So, I say travel and enjoy yourself. Just realize that you may need to rest more often and adjust your schedule. Don't do all sightseeing in one day. Relax, and enjoy life!

I'll look forward to your posts after your travels when you tell us all about them!

#5 Selina

Selina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

Hi Noah, My father is a wheelchair dependent parapalegic and the travel website i use is tripadvisor. It has a forum section like here and one that specializes in traveling with disabilities. You can post a question or search through the old posts. I recently saw a post about being able to get Sinemet while traveling in Cambodia! On their webpage go to More...Travel Forum...See All...Traveling with Disabilities. Or do a keyword search on the main page. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users