17 replies to this topic

#1 farrist1

farrist1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

I was just diagnosed, very early, very mild, started on azilect 0.5mg for 2 weeks, now on second week of 1 mg, tremor has not subsided. Is it supposed to? Today was very bad and in both hands, but while doing a lab demo for students in my class, thought it was only a resting tremor. I'm new to this and have lots of questions.
Thanks!

#2 Rogerstar1

Rogerstar1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

farrist1: Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Generally, it is Carbidopa-Levodopa (aka: L-Dopa, generic: Sinemet) neurologists use to make or confirm a PD diagnosis and eliminate shaking. The single tablet is administered as a compound of the two drugs. One 'sneaks' the other past the blood brain barrier and then the other 'tricks' your remaining dopamine producing cells in the substantia nigra into revving up to oversupply the dopamine you need to function normally. I have never heard of Azilect being used to quell tremor, per se. You might ask your neurologist about that and ask him or her to prescribe a small dose of Sinemet to see if it removes your tremor. I am not a physician but these points are widely known by Parkinsonians who have been 'down' awhile. Best to you in all things.

Roger

Edited by Rogerstar1, 16 October 2012 - 06:19 PM.

#3 Hereathome

Hereathome

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

I don't know if Azilect helps with tremors specifically. However I was at a support group where a research \ patient doctor spoke. She said Azilect has neuro protective properties to help keep the symptoms away for a longer time. She suggested it was a good idea to start the Azilect early on with supplemental medication such as Sinemet.

I called my doctor today and he agreed to start; me on Azilect. So I am starting tomorrow.

Hope you feel better soon. As I understand, it may take some time to obtain the full effects.

Edited by Hereathome, 18 October 2012 - 09:11 AM.

#4 McCall

McCall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

I just read an article that said in 2011 the FDA unanamously voted down Azilect for the slowing of Parkinsons. It was already approved for treatment of symptoms but that is all.

#5 Beachdog

Beachdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • LocationCape Cod Massachusetts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

McCall is correct. Azile$t "may" be neuroprotective but it hasn't been demonstrated to the satisfaction of the FDA. My brain doc suggested I stop taking it (phase out would be more correct) because of the FDA action and because Azile$t is brutally expensive, even with the insurance I have.

I started (oh my gosh - 3 years ago) on Azilect alone and got very little symptomatic relief. At my next visit 30 days later I started on carbadopa levadopa extended release 25/100 2 times a day at 7am and 3 pm along with the Azilect. Symptoms subsided nicely (although I did not have a tremor to deal with... more rigidity issues).

However, I have seen in another forum where people swear Azilect is a miracle drug so who knows. As we say, when you have met one person with PD, you have met one person with PD. We all have different reactions to treatments.

Good luck and sorry you joined the club.

Rich

#6 Island Woman

Island Woman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationNewport RI

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

I have been on Azilect for a year and have seen no change in hand tremor...maybe slight improvement in arm stiffness but also doing thearpy twice a week which I think is helping more.

#7 Hereathome

Hereathome

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:17 AM

I wouldn't be discouraged just yet. Every treatment is so individualized and everyone responds differently. The doctor I referred to previously has received several multi million dollar grants from NIH (National Institute of Health). She also mentioned the denial of the FDA for azilect as a neuro protective drug, however she also cited some of the political ramifications of their denial. Her contention as a researcher and with her personal experience is that many patients have benefited from the drug. Her research has proven to her that it is neuro protective. Obviously it's a individual response and I certainly hope yours is positive.

#8 aakash

aakash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

I don't know if Azilect helps with tremors specifically. However I was at a support group where a research \ patient doctor spoke. She said Azilect has neuro protective properties to help keep the symptoms away for a longer time. She suggested it was a good idea to start the Azilect early on with supplemental medication such as Sinemet.

#9 LWnFL

LWnFL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Husband 63, PD 11yrs. This yr added Azilect to carbo/levo to extend length of time & effectiveness of the carbo/levo. Increase 'on' time vs 'off time'. Has worked very well for him and allows carbo/levo dosage to be reduced.

#10 cbrf1wr

cbrf1wr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

I'm on 1MG Azilect. Diagnosed PD 3 months ago, but had symptoms for about 2 years now. Mainly Tremor, but some other light PD symptoms. Also taking Propranolol as they thought I might have Essential Tremor to start with. Kept taking Pro cause it seems tremors get worst without it. The Azi definitely helped though when I got on it. The tremor was really bad before I started taking it. Still there, but not as noticeable, and I can stop it for a little while at rest now.

My tremor gets worst when my stress level rises more than anything. If something does not work like it is supposed to I begin to feel the affects and cannot stop the tremor at all.

#11 cathysec

cathysec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

I am moving toward advanced pd and over 14 years of meds, I have tried Azilect 2 times. I had no response either time. I remember feeling more anxious and my balance was off
My Dr. started me on Permax in 1997 at age 45- then Requip, dopamine agonists.
My first symptom was a left hand tremor and then less mobility with my left hand. I was symptom free for several years!... goodluck!

#12 LarryH0123

LarryH0123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationAiea, Hawaii

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

I have been on Azilect for about a year. My first neurologist started me on it and explained it helped to slow down depletion of dopamine. I had no noticeable difference in any of my symptoms until my new MDS combined Rotigotine and PT with the Azilect. My tremor is less frequent but not loss intense. I also tend to shake more under stress like large presentations or public speaking. It seems to me it is the combination of meds, PT and exercise that is helping me now

#13 jb49

jb49

jb49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

Hey Larry,

I have been on Azilect for five years now. It is supposed to make what dopamine we do have last longer and helps it cross the blood/brain barrier. When I was on it by itself though it never felt like it was doing anything.
Don't be hard on yourself, try your best and be strong!

#14 Drummergirl

Drummergirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationWhite River Jct. Vermont

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

I have been on Azilect for 1yr. My neuro prescribed it to help with the wearing off time. I take sinemet 25/100 and 50/200cr. I was having wear-off and the sinemet cr can give me dyskinesia.

The Azilect has helped any I have noticed a positive difference cognitively with it as well. It does not cause any dyskinesia.
Karen

Dx in 95' at 35- Normal MRI, Abnormal Da t Scan- Resting tremor- right foot, leg tremors. RX- 25/100 Carb/ l =600 mg,
0.5 Azilect 1 daily Comtan 200mg 2 day, 0.5 mg Clonazepam 1 daily.

#15 Kristakj78

Kristakj78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

I just started Azilect, in combination with my Mirapex and Sinemet. My MDS said most people don't see a real difference for 2 months, and some not at all, but she too explained how it works hand in hand with other meds such as the others I'm on, and slows progression (I guess some studies have proven it), and I also got that same info regarding the dopamine as JB did in his post above mine. I asker her about a cheaper alternative such as Selegiline, but she has been the 2nd neuro now to tell me it doesn't have the same results as per studies. Ugh, more $$$$.

#16 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

The doctor I referred to previously ......Her contention as a researcher and with her personal experience is that many patients have benefited from the drug. Her research has proven to her that it is neuro protective.

no solid scientific evidence on neuroprotection can be derived simply from "peronal experience" of any doctor, no matter how experienced.
What we don't need : our treatment guided by the "personal experience" (aka personal "preferences") of any doctor.
What we do need : more high quality, multi-center, double blind studies on neuroprotection.
What we urgently need : more strictly defined, evidence-based treatment protocols, especially in regard to young onset PD. aren't they (neuros) done with experimenting? And, yes, i know that each patient is "different" and all that, but come on, decades of research have passed and the hot-shot MDSs continue to argue if agonists are indeed the best initial treatment for us with young onset disease and whether levodopa triggers early dyskinesias or not in the long term. it's crazy.

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

#17 tlstarkenberg

tlstarkenberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBowdon, Georgia

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

Ditto to treatment and one shaking hand. Am thinking of coming down and off Azilect. Trying mukuna pruriens and sinemet.
Had symptoms that I thought were Pian, dr;s didn't. Back 20 yrs ago. 2 wks ago Dr Pag told me to go to a neurologist who dignosed PD and Azilect. Only positive is that the Dr. is young and I am old-66.

#18 littletownguy

littletownguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Started on Azilect late 2006. Was told would take 4 weeks to see impact. 3 days prior to 4 weeks saw major benefit. Was told by my neurologist that 1/3 of people were helped greatly, 1/3 a little and 1/3 not at all. This time I was fortunate to part of the good 1/3. I'm still on it 6+ years later. At one point tried going to 2 mg per day, but had joint stiffness.

Obviously, we are all unique creatures...meds impacting us all differently. I've been blessed to have neurologists who will truly partner with me...realizing that both of us know things that the other doesn't. A journey of continual discovery....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users