21 replies to this topic

#1 DavidTX

DavidTX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

Obviously this topic is not for anyone far into their progression.

I am 2 years in and on 2 25/100mg carbidopa/Levadopa regular 4/x a day and 100mg Amantadine twice a day. I'm happy with my meds right now and my only side effect is right arm and head get dyskinesia.

I usually practice yoga, walk and do weights but wanted to try to amp things up. My wife and I just started p90x and really like it. Has anyone else done intense workouts 6 days a week for more than a month? What were the benefits? What negatives did you experience?

Again, I know not everyone has the level of function (or the interest) in these kinds of workouts so there's no need to comment below if that's where you're at.

#2 Delta

Delta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

I play tennis for 1 1/2 hours 4 or 5 days a week. I do yoga 1 day a week for an hour. I also do a 15 minute walk 3 days a week to improve my gait and about 15 minutes of weights and core exercises on my walk days also.

I take 4-25 100 sinemet and 3-1mg mirapex per day. I've had symptoms for about 10 years and have been on medication for almost 2 years.

I would say P90x is more intense than my 1 1/2 hours of tennis. I have worked out at this level for at least the last 5 years and at a slightly lower level for the 5 years before that. I have been a lifelong athlete lettering in volleyball ,basketball and track in high school and participating in vollyball, basketball, track, softball, swimming and cheerleading in junior high. I played in softball and volleyball leagues until I was 30 and my second child was born.

The only negative effect I have had are extreme tremors when I am working out to my limit. We were doing circuit training lifting 10lb weights over our heads for 5 minutes. My arms started shaking so badly after about 3 minutes that I had to quit. Exercise makes me feel better and more able to move and the physical activity greatly improves my mood. I've only been playing tennis for the last 6 years and I still take tennis lessons and my game continues to improve. My gait is obviously impaired, but is getting better with the addition of sinemet in August as well as the 15 minute walks which stress big movements and proper form. Interestingly, I can play tennis full speed without any gait impairment. People see me limping before the match and try to "run" me to win points. But during a point I have no limitations and am my old athletic self.

I have no scientific proof, but I believe my rate of progression is slow because of all my exercise and physical actiivity. I see my MDS every 6 months and he checks my balance.

I say go for p90x and keep up the exercise!

#3 cnel

cnel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

Go for it! Just finished reading John Balls Book Running Hard Living Well. at the time of his writing the book he had been diagnosed over 20 years and had run the last 9 Los Angeles MArathons. You won't know what you are capable of or what the challenges are until you do it. The PArkins Foundation webinar I recently watched talked about the importance of excersize and the best type being challenging excersizes particularly ones that challenge agility and balance. Everything I learn points to the need to challenge yourself. I have been diagnose 2 years also, I do yoga also plus weights treadmill and a long hard bike ride on the trails every weekend. I try to do something every day. I've lost some weight and feel pretty good.

#4 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

My husband was diagnosed with PD more than seven years ago, has been through BIG training, and attended an intensive physical therapy retreat for PD patients. He retired from work on disability last April and exercises about two hours a day most days. He is on Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine. This research article may be of interest to you. We can't find a month-long in-patient program in the United States but would consider it if we could!

http://nnr.sagepub.c...545968311416990

Husband diagnosed in 2005-Medicines: Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine; Sister and Best Friend from Childhood also have PD

#5 DavidTX

DavidTX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

Wow thanks for all the support everyone! I promise to keep you posted but so far I feel great.

Delta- it's nice to meet a fellow Parkie with the same love for staying active despite adversity. Lets stay in touch man! (PS I got the tremor when I pushed too hard too but haven't seen it since I got on Sinemet last June)

#6 Delta

Delta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Someone dropped out of our tennis match this morning and I had to play both singles and doubles. I've never played singles in a match before and ive never played both singles and doubles in a match. I lost singles 7-9. (We play to 8 but you have to win by 2). I won in doubles 10-8 (we play doubles to 10). All in I played for 3 hours and 15 minutes. Other than my legs being sore everything went great.

#7 SandyD

SandyD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAlabama by transplant

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

I wish I could do P90x. I love watching those ads for the P90x they really look like they just feel great! Of course after they've worked their butts OFF! Literally! But I would guess you feel really strong and ready for anything after 90 days of that intense working out like that. I have very strong muscley legs and love to bike ride, of course I ride a stationary one now(fell down 2 times,1 time too many) anyway, I hope you do well. And get strong.. Hey isn't that a saying... Oh yeah it's "Live Strong."

Sandy
Live, Love and Laugh every day!

#8 DavidTX

DavidTX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

Sandy, maybe you could get a trike? Those work great for PWP that like to ride :)

#9 Delta

Delta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

How many days are in to P90x? How's it going?

Delta

#10 Brad24

Brad24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

I have been told to do the most vigorous exercise you can do. I am only 9 months into DX but have had symptoms for at least 4 to 5 years. I take 1 25/100 mg sinemet 3 times /day and 8 mg of requip XL tabs per day. I have always been very athletic, into running and weight lifting. I am working hard with free weights 4 times per week running at least 2 miles 3 times per week (most of the times pushing my two sons in a baby jogger) and doing yoga 2 to 3 times per week. one thing I have noticed is it takes a lot longer for my muscles to loosen up. Especially my legs, but I always feel better after working out. My opinion of P90x is do it if you can. Good luck and let me know how you like it! Drink lots of water!
DETERMINATION "In the heart of the strong shines a relentless ray of resolve...It cannot be stopped, it cannot be controlled, and it will not fail."

#11 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

Brad24 - From watching my husband with PD (7+ years), I agree with you about the more vigourous the exercise the better. From observing him, I also feel that the type of exercise makes a real difference too. PD specific exercises seem to improve his symptoms more than other activities. He aims for a variety (Tai Chi, PWR! Moves classes weekly) in addition to his daily exercise. He has been through "BIG" training, gone through individualized PT training at a NPF Center of Excellence, and attended a PWR! retreat coordinated by Dr. Becky Farley from Tucson. Next spring in Arizona, Dr. Farley is offering two levels of intense training opportunities for people with PD and their caregivers:

http://www.pwr4life.org/pwr-exercise-events/pwr-retreat/
http://www.pwr4life.org/pwr-exercise-events/pwr-train/

Husband diagnosed in 2005-Medicines: Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine; Sister and Best Friend from Childhood also have PD

#12 Elizabeth K.

Elizabeth K.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

I'm David's wife. He and I are on our 7th week of P90x and haven't missed a work out. :)

I'll let David answer for himself but we both are doing great. Thanks for the encouragement

#13 Brad24

Brad24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

That is awesome ! I hope you are enjoying it. I keep wanting to try it. I do the P90x yoga and love it. I truly believe staying in good physical shape helps with the symptoms of PD. I always feel better at least for a few hours after working. Like I have said my doctor told me to do the most vigorous workout you can at least 3 to 4 times per week. She explained vigorous as whatever you can do that makes you sweat and breath hard. She said she believes exercise like this really slows the progression of PD. It depends on your level of fitness as everyone is different. It may be P90x or running and lifting weights for some or walking for others. The important thing is to do what you can. I also attended a Young Onset Convention in November. A doctor there said the same exact thing. Some days I do not feel like doing anything but I force myself to do it and always feel better afterwards.

DETERMINATION "In the heart of the strong shines a relentless ray of resolve...It cannot be stopped, it cannot be controlled, and it will not fail."

#14 DavidTX

DavidTX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

Hi everyone! Just checking in with an update. We have completed 7 weeks of p90x and I feel terrific! Working out vigorously 6 days a week is sometimes difficult (I should explain that I have a disc problem in my low back that gives me chronic pain and have had a fusion in my neck, in addition to the PD) but I haven't missed a workout. I am not a naturally athletic person. Sometimes the incredible inertia of day to day tiredness coupled with the fatigue from PD is difficult to overcome but if I get up and do it I ALWAYS feel better. I truly believe, at this point, in the value of pursuing the most vigorous exercise you can manage as often as you can manage it has tremendous value. It's a matter of doing as much as you can to empower yourself and preserve what function you do have. Plus I'm getting killer guns! LOL! Thanks for the support. I hope someone else tries it and posts their experience here.

#15 Nospringsaussie

Nospringsaussie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Good on you. I am in my 7th year post Dx. I was a serious runner prior to Dx and PD stopped me (in fact stopped me prior to Dx). I was a competitive long distance (10k, 5k) runner and always in the the top ten for my age group for marathons. My onset was not tremor but rigidity etc. I have recently learned that a none tremor onset for young onsets typically means a rapid deterioration. It certainly did for me and I have since had bi-lattteral DBS. After a 2 year fight to get back on my feet I have finally gotten back into the exercise routine. For me I push for a total of 25mn of exercise with 15mn with my hear rate over 65% of max.I am doing this 3 mornings a week and I feel great aftewards. Next week I am going to add 2 morning of core training with free weights.

I have spoken to so many people about PD and exercise. There is lots of science that points to this being the best thing to happen in PD research since the advent of Sinimet. Also with the huge push in the last 3 years for people with a young onset of initial Dx to jump headlong into vigorous exercise your doing the right thing. The only advice I would give is to not go over the top. If you can do P90x great for you. If you do it 4 days in a row and on day 5 you can't move you need to change the routine and moderate a little. I have developed a strong believe that doing anything to extremes is bad for you. I define extreme as having an unintended and negative impact on another part of your life. PD is progressive so keep fighting but don't fight yourself so hard that you feel as though your fatigue is disrupting your normal life. in my last stitch effort to avoid DBS I started to work out really hard 3-4years ago. I would life 3 days a week and do cardio an additional 3 days a week. The net result - I was built like a tank on the outside but was falling apart on the inside.

I am a 'scale/balance guy' and with that in mind.... everything in balance and avoid extremes.
Good for you though. Cheers

#16 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

The only advice I would give is to not go over the top. If you can do P90x great for you. If you do it 4 days in a row and on day 5 you can't move you need to change the routine and moderate a little. I have developed a strong believe that doing anything to extremes is bad for you. I define extreme as having an unintended and negative impact on another part of your life. PD is progressive so keep fighting but don't fight yourself so hard that you feel as though your fatigue is disrupting your normal life. in my last stitch effort to avoid DBS I started to work out really hard 3-4years ago. I would life 3 days a week and do cardio an additional 3 days a week. The net result - I was built like a tank on the outside but was falling apart on the inside.

I am a 'scale/balance guy' and with that in mind.... everything in balance and avoid extremes.
Good for you though. Cheers

My thoughts exactly. Great post, great advice.

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

#17 Brad24

Brad24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

nospringsaussie, great post. I totally agree. I tried to workout the PD away when i was first DXd. Prior to a year an a half ago I was benching 400# at a 175 weight class, squatting 450# and dead lifting 425# (All natural). On my non-lifting days I would run 3 to 5 miles. I started to notice a decline in strength and began to experience rigidity. Then the tremor started shortly there after. After a being DX'd I began to workout harder to prove I could beat it. Like you said I began to fall apart on the inside. Now I have a good balance of free weights, yoga, and running. Your body will tell you when you are doing too much and PD is exhausting enough you do not want to add on to it. As the old saying goes too much of anything is not good. Everyone just has to know their level of fitness and work at that level.

Keep in touch!

#18 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

nospringsaussie, great post. I totally agree. I tried to workout the PD away when i was first DXd. Prior to a year an a half ago I was benching 400# at a 175 weight class, squatting 450# and dead lifting 425# (All natural). On my non-lifting days I would run 3 to 5 miles. I started to notice a decline in strength and began to experience rigidity. Then the tremor started shortly there after. After a being DX'd I began to workout harder to prove I could beat it. Like you said I began to fall apart on the inside. Now I have a good balance of free weights, yoga, and running. Your body will tell you when you are doing too much and PD is exhausting enough you do not want to add on to it. As the old saying goes too much of anything is not good. Everyone just has to know their level of fitness and work at that level.

Keep in touch!

From your picture looks like the weights have done u well.

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#19 DavidTX

DavidTX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

I feel like my last post triggered several comments opposed to overworking. its got me wondering if something in my post implied people should do that. As i said i did not excercise most of my life, so this created huge emotional inertia. when i spoke of pushing through that, i was not suggesting someone push through PD symptoms. I've not felt an increasing in fatigue (quite the contrary). Also sleeping better and feeling stronger. I can see how someone could try to fix their PD by exercising, but this thread was not started to intend anything of the sort. Just clarifying.

#20 Nospringsaussie

Nospringsaussie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

Great for you. Hope I diDnt misinterpret. I am deeply jealous of you though :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users