#21 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,297 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

Seizures are not common in PD patients but can occur.

Collapsing in Parkinson's disease is most commonly associated with autonomic nervous system issues regulating blood pressure.

An expert neurologist is a great idea.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#22 Lucille

Lucille

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Thank you. He had an EEG today...They put him on anti seizure meds Kappra.......discharged him?? and he couldn't not walk and became very aggressive, he is a laid back guy..so I looked up side effects and there is was: difficulty walking, aggressive behavior and urinary incontinence...I called local neuro and ordered another emergency MRI which showed no change and EEG was today....I stopped the Keppra myself and told local neuro. He had urinary frequency at night and could not get him to bathroom........

We have the appt at LIJH on the 15th Dr. G. Schwartz I called to see if they could take him earlier, husband already on waiting list....
Can PD progress in one day?...I doubt it...like he was in Walbaums and church on Sunday, and Monday he could not walk, he is better but still not back to baseline of Sunday morning...I could understand if another year went by and this happened...........

I know this a shot in the dark..but do you have influence at that facility?..I know its only a week, but look what happend in a day........I am ready to fly to Florida to your institute at a moments notice...I am feeling desperate and scared...

I have VN and PT to house this afternoon..

thank you,
Lucille

#23 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,297 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

Aggressiveness and behavioral worsening can happen with Keppra. I would hang in there and simply get the neurologist to start a different seizure med, start physical therapy, and optimize PD meds. Patience and medication optimization will likely slowly bring him back to baseline.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life

#24 Lucille

Lucille

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

Went to Dr. Schwarts MDS...dx: PSP..I cant say I am shocked, but very sad, indeed. it was the eye movements, I saw that he was not focasing and with a thorough history taking he was able to determine that he may have had this for at least three years, more like four...(it was dedected after his bypass surgery)....

He called in Hospice because Congress passed a bill for dx. PSP to be covered and that because his condition has worsened since the fall/collapse ??? No one knows happend, it was not a seizure.....he needs assistance to ambulate and to tend with his daily needs....i.e. showering...

I can get some help during the week because I am the sole caregiver in the house....I am getting a stair lift..and I will make life as comfortable for my dear sweet husband.

Thanks for your help answering my questions, I actually used your name and how helpful you were, the doc seemed happy and suprised....

I think I may join the curePCP...group now.....

God bless for the good work you do...

Lucille

#25 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,297 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

Lucille, our hearts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users