#1 Kristakj78

Kristakj78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

Has anyone had bad neck pain with their PD? I have had quite a battle with it. At one point a year and a half ago I couldn't even turn my neck. I've had PT, an MRI of my neck, Naproxen, and muscle relaxers, and nothing seems to work when it acts up. It did go away for a while, but it's been back again for a week, and is so painful. Anyone have a similar issue? Solution?

#2 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

This is one of my most persistent symptoms, especially when I am off. I purchased a cape-shaped heavy neck and shoulder cover that you can either freeze or heat in the microwave, depending on the need. Someone at a local PD support group told me about. She did offer one warning: Do not heat for 20.00 instead of the recommended 2.00! It will be destroyed!!
The label on mine reads Therapy for Body and Soul. Don't remember which site I got it from. I've discovered that Amazon may have different prices in different divisions of their site. I also find Biofreeze helpful. Best wishes!
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#3 williamg

williamg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationTrapped in a body of Chaos and Confusion

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

I have dealt with stiff (frozen) sore neck for years. I recently had an MRI done on it but haven't seen the doctor yet for the results. I also have terrible jaw pain. My jaw freezes and won't open, usually when we have steak for dinner. I did crash my motorcycle about 12 years ago landing on the top of my head with my feet to the sky. I had always thought that was the reason for the pain. For me looking up is a killer!
Heat helps a little bit along with a Jack and Coke.
I'm not crazy, I'm just special!! ..No, wait..... Maybe I am Crazy. One second...... I have to talk to myself about this... Hold on......................

#4 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

eeeewwwww!!!!
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#5 williamg

williamg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

eeeewwwww!!!!

I chuckled!!
I'm not crazy, I'm just special!! ..No, wait..... Maybe I am Crazy. One second...... I have to talk to myself about this... Hold on......................

#6 Kristakj78

Kristakj78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

Lol, I will try heat with a nice glass of wine or hot green tea :)

#7 williamg

williamg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

Lol, I will try heat with a nice glass of wine or hot green tea :)

A nice cup of tea sounds wonderful! Although I do believe we have four or five bottles of wine waiting to be un-corked. :mrgreen:

#8 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

The assistant manager of Lake Pleasant RV Park, Ed, and his wife Dianne made my day brighter by responding to a request for assistance easy to swallow protein packed food so it is quite likely that I will have even more energy to be witty tomorrow. My irrepressible spirit has been in no way affected by the Recent Series of Unfortunate Events that did it's best to extinguish my joy. I laugh in the face of Forces Determined to Convince Me I am Unworthy of Love and Consistent Unconditional Positive Regard. HA! HA HA HA!!!
Dianne

#9 KimAgain

KimAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

I've been telling my docs about the dreadful neck pain I seem to suffer with on a persistent, but intermittent basis for years! I, too, have had an MRI and was eventually told I have degenerative disc disease and there is nothing can be done about it but to apply alternately hot/cold compresses. Most interesting.

(Hmm... I think we may have a consensus - PD IS a PAIN in the NECK!!)

Dx 1994, age 45.  DBS surgery, 2009:  Bi-lateral; wires to one battery - on my left side.  500mg Sinemet CR daily.

#10 Kristakj78

Kristakj78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Lol, again, SO true!

#11 Tmj

Tmj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Az

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

I Have horrible pain in upper back shoulders and neck. It progressively gets worse as the day moves on. By dinner sometimes I have difficulty sitting and lifting my fork. My MDS has recommended Botox injections into the the muscle as it should block some of the trigger signals causeing the muscles to tense. I looked into it and am going to try it. I will let everyone know how it goes. First injection should be in a few weeks. The effects can last up tp 6 weeks according to the literature.

Heres hoping for relief!

#12 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:15 AM

I go to a pain management doctor and get steroid epidural injections (like the ones recentlyl linked to meningitis)

#13 roy g

roy g

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

Appears that I not only have but also am one.

roy g

#14 Kristakj78

Kristakj78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

SOOOO bad that I can't sit up in bed or roll over at night. Unbearable, and I'm soooooooo sick of meds, and the Naproxen makes me sick, ugh, I don't know what's worse, the symptoms or the side effects of the meds (aside from the Sinemet, which I am on my hands and knees thanking God for the creation of). I went to my physical therapist last night, and got extra heat and stimulation with those electric vibrations things attached to my neck, and am on my way to my MDS now...but OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure the rush of Halloween, my personality with always pushing myself, my three kids (four if you include my husband, lol, their friends AND that darn hurricane didn't help things!!!! We didn't have power for three days, and we were the "lucky" ones.....many still without, but still.....gosh, my three year old didn't sleep much, scared of the wind and the dark - or the candle shadows.....and boy is my neck and upper shoulder area/upper back paying the price. OUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

#15 AnthonyB

AnthonyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

My neck gets stiff and tight,limited movement to the left normal to the right.
This in turn gives me headaches ,for me i first try a warm shower and relax i find helps more often that not..............but pain meds are a must at times.

#16 williamg

williamg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

I got a call from my MDS today! :huh: It is Saturday Right??? He wanted to let me know the results from my neck MRI. It turns out that I have a bulging disc at the c5-6.

He said he wants me to talk to a surgeon over in the Puget Sound about it. I haven't met anyone yet who had back or neck surgery that went well. I passed on back surgery in 2002 due to my brothers surgery going wrong and have been just dealing with it. Sighhhhhh..... What to do.......

Hey Dianne!!!!!! Maybe I will get to meet you!!!!!!! :smile:

#17 Kristakj78

Kristakj78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

I had a bit of bulging found on my neck MRI too, but my MDS told me it was not causing the pain, and was probably from a previous accident, as opposed to the PD. I wonder if there's different types of bulging, hmmmmm...

#18 williamg

williamg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

I know exactly when I caused the bulging. Riding my dirt bike down the side of a mountain in Idaho and tried to pass my nephew. I went into some tall grass which was hiding a log... Over the bars I went and landed right on the top of my head with my feet to the sky! Jumped up and raced to get by him again! Man I miss riding my bikes...

#19 Kristakj78

Kristakj78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

OUCH!

#20 Brad24

Brad24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

For at least two years prior to my diagnosis this past February I had severe neck pain at the base of my neck. It was so bad I could hardly turn my head and it even hurt when I would lay in bed. I still have the pain but not as often. I believe the meds, sinemet and requip XL, I was prescribed help. I also got a tens unit and use it as often as I can. I also get a lot of cramps in my back, chest and shoulder and the tens unit helps with it also.
DETERMINATION "In the heart of the strong shines a relentless ray of resolve...It cannot be stopped, it cannot be controlled, and it will not fail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users