E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

Teeth grinding from Caffeine or acidic food or drink?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

I hope you and your family are better now.

I am afraid of bone loss resulting from the empty spaces in her mouth. Dentures was suggested but I don't think my mom would cooperate with the daily removal and placement of them. Dentures takes a lot of steps as do implants so I rather have implants. My sister said the dentist she talked to by phone only does not recommend implants for our mother due to her age and illness. She will have to be under anesthesia for the process. To me they might as well do it all while she is under. She might live another 10 years if I have any say so in the matter and I want her to be able to eat all the foods she's used to eating. I keep forgetting her teeth are over 70 years old so I have take it easy.

#22 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

I agree that implants are the better choice if at all possible -- they are more natural and once established require no extra effort to care for, whereas dentures do need daily care and cleaning. It seems especially hopeful now that she has stopped grinding her teeth. Meantime, though, she should be able to eat meat loaf, quiche, and other tasty foods that need chewing but are easy on the teeth. I hope her dentist will "see the light" and provide for the implants.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

#23 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

i basically taste all her food before I feed her to make sure each bite is tender enough for her. She takes calcium gummy vitamins that have the consistency of a starburst but that still requires lots of chewing so i bite it in half for her and shove them both in her mouth and let her chew away. Because she has basically no back teeth she is chewing with her 1 primary front tooth and that's dangerous. I read that front teeth are not meant for the bulk of the chewing so something needs to be done. Her gums are bleeding and swollen from chewing on them as well.

I make or buy canned soup and mix rice with it for her so can get fuller that way. Dry cereal has now been replaced by oatmeal but I put bananas in them just like I did with the cereal so there is more substance. What she really likes eating is yogurt but that's not enough to fill her up.

#24 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Perhaps now that she has stopped grinding her teeth, you might replace the calcium gummies with crushed calcium tablets, perhaps mixed into juice or yogurt, to eliminate the need for chewing them.

The soup mixed with rice is a very good idea, and I would consider adding cooked shredded chicken or turkey, or ground beef for the protein she needs. Most of the canned soups have very little meat. Also, might she like a tuna-noodle casserole? It's comfort food for many, and doesn't take hard chewing.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#25 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

The gummies are ok. I break it down into 4 small pieces for her chew. I discovered ravioli type food is good to give her. I started to increase the Stalevo just for the evening dose from 125 to 150. Hopefully it is not enough for the grinding to start up again. She really seems under medicated now. She can't get up by herself and drags her feet when she walks.

When will the miracle drug that will take care of PD and dementia come around? I am getting so tired of waiting. :cry:

#26 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Ravioli does sound like a good choice for her. I continue to be concerned that she receive enough protein. What about scrambled eggs, or a grilled cheese sandwich?

I do hope the slight increase in Stalevo will help, and will not increase the bruxism. It is a never-ending puzzle to try to adjust PD medications on an individual basis, and I commend your continued efforts to help your mother. In my prayers daily is the hope that a cure for PD will be found, and soon.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#27 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Oh yes she still gets enough protein. I give her hard boiled eggs with her oatmeal and bananas 3 times a week and she also eats tofu and small pieces of meat with lunch and dinner. They are small bites but she eats a lot of it. I didn't mean that she will only eat ravioli.

I have a question about the oatmeal. Shouldn't she be more regular from eating that daily? The only thing that will make her go is Miralax and even that it's still every 3 days or so. My mom has lost the ability to go when she needs to so she lets it build up until it basically has to come out. I do it the digital way and help her every other day. It's actually for my benefit. I rather do this then clean her up after she lets it out in her diapers.

#28 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Oatmeal is rich in soluble fiber -- the kind that helps with cholesterol; it has some insoluble fiber (the kind that helps with constipation) but is not one of the top sources. A better source would be whole wheat or wheat bran, whole rye, flaxseed. Fruits are also rich in fiber, especially apples and pears (with skins), oranges and grapefruit. It's also important that she drink plenty of fluids daily -- water, juices, coffee/tea.

Consider trying a method used for years in hospitals:

Prune Juice Cocktail for Constipation

For people with frequent constipation, a safe and effective remedy is the
"prune juice cocktail," a preparation used in many hospitals.

- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 tablespoons wheat bran
- 6 ounces prune juice

Mix well, and store in refrigerator. Take a tablespoonful a day at first,
gradually adding more if needed, till you find the amount that works well
for you. The bran helps keep the stool bulky and soft, the prune juice
contains a natural laxative, and the applesauce gives a palatable taste
and texture. Aim for 25 - 40 grams of fiber in the daily diet, and drink
6-8 glasses of fluid daily. It may be helpful to also have a serving of
4-6 stewed prunes 2-4 times per week, for added fiber and additional
natural laxative.

This recipe makes about 10 fluid ounces total. The nutrients for the
entire recipe are as follows:

209 calories
6 grams fat
3 grams protein
54 grams carbohydrates
10 grams fiber
22 grams total sugars

The nutrients per serving will depend upon how much is taken at a time.
One ounce (about two tablespoons), will be about 20 calories, 5 grams
carbohydrate, 1 gram fiber, and 2 grams total sugars.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#29 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

Well my mom broke another tooth 2 days ago. The new dentist was no help because I think she didn't want to do anything for her due to her age and condition. She referred us to a teaching hospital. There is a wait of 2 months just for a consult and they required that my mother has an appointed legal guardian that can make decisions for her. I don't know what that takes to happen and I am just disgusted at how things do not flow like they should.

This is dental work and not managing her finances. Of course she needs work done on her teeth so since she can't say anything or know what needs to be done then naturally it falls on the family. It is also paid entirely by me so it's not like she's being taken advantage of or have the wrong decision made for her. Sorry to vent but I don't know what to do. I just want her to be able to eat and smile and have no more pain and to have it done before all her teeth falls out. She's losing weight rapidly because everything she's been eating is mush and when she does finally get to have dental work she will have to eat more mush.

#30 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

I am so very sorry to hear of this latest incident, your mother sure didn't need to break another tooth. I don't have a good answer for you, but here is a thought:

- Contact your local Office on Aging, and tell them exactly what you have told me. They should be able to guide you with regard to becoming a legal guardian (which might require a letter from her neurologist) -- this is important in view of her health, both physical and mental, and is likely to become ever more important if her health continues to worsen. They may also be able to help you with local resources, including financial assistance for your mother.

- Ask the contact if it would be helpful to locate an attorney who specializes in Elder Law who can help with legal matters. These attorneys are well versed in social security, Medicare, and other matters and may be able to assist you and your mother in these complicated issues.

I continue to wish you and your mother the very best, and keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users