E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

Sinemet causing severe speech impairment?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 NicoleZ

NicoleZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

Last night I met a man, a psychiatrist (former), who is now 48 years old, diagnosed at the Mayo Clinic 10 years ago with PD. 5 years ago he was about to have DBS, but decided against it....only taking Sinemet now. He has been on disability for 4 years because in his off times he has such severe gait issues that he sometimes uses a wheelchair....when in an on time he walks pretty well. BUT, when he is in an on time, he has a severe speech impairment - like so mumbled that his words are indecipherable and he communicates by typing on an IPad! Has anyone heard of this as a side effect of Sinemet? He does not have the impairment in off times/skips doses. He usually takes the meds so he is mobile, sacrificing his speech. He had tried many, well really all, the other PD meds and they either caused worse side effects (intractable nausea, hallucinations, etc) or didn't help much at all with symptoms.

I myself am 39 yo with YOPD.... I was very sad that someone as young as this man was so debilitated by either PD or PD med side effects.

#2 gmk

gmk

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:45 AM

Thank you for the presentation. Did they make the diagnosis of PD at Mayo Clinic?
gmk

#3 KiminJapan

KiminJapan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationKanazawa, Japan

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

Interesting. I've found that when I'm overdosed I can't speak easily, and when under dosed cant walk - just like the man you men though not as severe on either end.

#4 joy h

joy h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

When I was on to much Sinemet it caused severe speech problems. I could not complete a full sentence it was just awful

#5 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

Happened to me recently as well.
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#6 KiminJapan

KiminJapan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Thank you for the presentation. Did they make the diagnosis of PD at Mayo Clinic?
gmk

She says he was diagnosed 10 years ago at the Mayo Clinic with PD.

#7 NicoleZ

NicoleZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:03 AM

Thanks everyone....KiminJapan - has your doctor had any suggestions to have symptom control but not the awful side effect of speech impairment? I had never heard of this situation before, and am wondering what other options people might have tried?? Honestly, seeing him like that terrified me - I can't imagine trying to choose the "lesser of 2 evils", walking vs talking :(

#8 KiminJapan

KiminJapan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

I take 1/2 of a 25:100 sinemet every 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Sometimes only 1/4 tab. Dr. Says I'm very sensitive and have brittle response and there's not much to do other than pay close attention to myself and not overdose. When it's right I'm not symptomatic, but that's a pretty elusive state. I choose slightly off over being overdosed, but sometimes it backfires in a big way and I get wayyyy off. Still, everyone is different. You may never have the issue. And I've found that as symptoms change I'm finding new ways to outsmart them as I'm sure you will too.

#9 williamg

williamg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationTrapped in a body of Chaos and Confusion

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

I have had days where I had a hard time talking. It was like my tongue would twist or something. I would slur my speech as if I had a couple too many whiskey and cokes. All I could do is stop talking and start over. This has happened in the past before I took any type of medication. The other day I purposely took more sinemet than I was told to take (the fatigue was terrible that day). Along with the usual dose, I chewed one just to see what it did for me. Doing so made me feel as normal as I have felt in a long time. I had no issues with moving, talking, walking, going down the stairs ( which is the hardest thing to do). I felt great! Next month I will talk to my MDS about increasing the sinemet for awhile to see how I feel. I might be willing to trade feeling like absolute crap for some silence.............
I'm not crazy, I'm just special!! ..No, wait..... Maybe I am Crazy. One second...... I have to talk to myself about this... Hold on......................

#10 Drummergirl

Drummergirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationWhite River Jct. Vermont

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

I as well have had speech difficulties when I'm over medicated with Sinemet. Not to the point of being on- verbal, more of a pronunciation issue.
Dx in 95' at 35- Normal MRI, Abnormal Da t Scan- Resting tremor- right foot, leg tremors. RX- 25/100 Carb/ l =600 mg,
0.5 Azilect 1 daily Comtan 200mg 2 day, 0.5 mg Clonazepam 1 daily.

#11 gmk

gmk

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

The patient with diagnosis PD made 10 years ago at Mayo Clinic has not had a follow-up examination there .
Because he specialized in psychiatry, he is not immunized against a depressive disorder and has not been seen
by family physician either and likely has tried to manage his condition to his best knowledge and experience.
Do frst frst; help him tu find a board certified family physician. who will inform Mayo Clinic about the problems in turn.
GMK

#12 KiminJapan

KiminJapan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

The patient with diagnosis PD made 10 years ago at Mayo Clinic has not had a follow-up examination there .
Because he specialized in psychiatry, he is not immunized against a depressive disorder and has not been seen
by family physician either and likely has tried to manage his condition to his best knowledge and experience.
Do frst frst; help him tu find a board certified family physician. who will inform Mayo Clinic about the problems in turn.
GMK

How do you know the patient has not been seen in 10 years and is self-managing?

#13 gmk

gmk

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

From your note on Nov. 23 #6, Kimin and by accelerated deduction based on historical element in medical thinking.
gmk.

Edited by gmk, 28 November 2012 - 02:10 AM.

#14 KiminJapan

KiminJapan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

From your note on Nov. 23, Kimin and by accelerated deduction based on historical element in medical thinking.
gmk.

That makes no sense. I don't know the person originally talked about. I just shared my experience - totally independent.

And before you tell me how to get care, I'll tell you that I'm seen every three weeks by a neurologist, as well as a hematologist and a gp on a regular basis.

Deduction doesn't work in determining how someone is utilizing their medical care. You can't assume anything from anecdotes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users