• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kmachi

kmachi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

My uncle has been sick for many months. He finally got the diagnosis of parkinsons. He has kept it hush hush and not many people know. What I want to know, is how can I, his niece, support him best? I don't know much about how far along his is, but I do know he seems to have problems processing things said to him and responding, has little to no strength left in his hands and arms, and has lost a lot of weight. Do I continue to talk to him like I always have? I guess I am worried and unsure and I can't talk to him about it as I am not supposed to know yet. Any advice would be helpful.

#2 DANCER

DANCER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

You might tell him you know he has not been feeling well and let him know you are available to help him in any way.
good luck

#3 kmachi

kmachi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Thank you Dancer! I appreciate it! This is so new to all of us. At this point I think we are all still in shock and trying to help without overstepping the boundries he has set for himself. He is still prideful and wants to do things on his own and it is hard for him to admit he needs more help than he wishes to allow others to give him.

#4 noah

noah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

One of the things I have found to be a big relief is knowing that my husband supports me. Just let your uncle know that you are there for him and that he isnt alone. Knowing that my husband has my back no matter what happens makes things easier.

#5 Silverfoxx

Silverfoxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationPitman, NJ USA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

Depression and PD often are "in the same bed". In other words, his biggest obstacle sounds to me to be depression due to the diagnosis. You can help yout uncle by helping him to educate himself as much as possible about PD as he can assimilate. Little bits at a time, or as much as he can take. Another thing for you and his immediate family can do is to reinforce to him that he is not alone with his PD. He has to be assurred if that fact continuously by the entire family. Good luck and keep us posted. We all have been where your uncle is, and we made it ..... so will he!

Remember this: PD is not a life ending illness, but, it is a life changing illness. Not only for the patient, but for those who love him/her as well! We are all bound together by this insidious disease. and we arre here to support and care for each other.
"Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into a flame by another human being. Each of us owes our deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this light." Albert Schweitzer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users