#21 jb49

jb49

jb49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

Hey Shooter, good to see you still here. Actually it would be even better to hear that you got cured of PD.

Kristakj78, being from Canada, we don't even consider cost of tests. Free health care for everyone in the country isn't cheap, not a perfect system, is being stretched, but it works for me. I am glad that I don't have to worry about money and health in the same thought.

Fist to the sky, jb
Don't be hard on yourself, try your best and be strong!

#22 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

My tremor is eased by sinemet,i have a drop foot gait at times,cognitive has faltered in recent yrs.Shoulder pain,but not alot of stiffness in joints.Alot of upper arm and foot cramping.all of these symptoms are intermittant.As for the Drs explanation,he said in the 8 yrs or so since my dx i havent progressed as much as one normally would
Thanks

You haven't progressed much. so, whatever the cause of your parkinsonism, it's not something degenerative. that's GREAT news.
In the recent literature, there are several documented cases with symptoms of PD, very slow progression, and negative Datscans (Scans Without Evidence of Dopaminergig Deficit, SWEDDs). do these patients have a slowly progressive form of otherwise typical Parkinson's disease? do they have an atypical form of "Parkinson's" with a different pattern of cell loss (not visualized by Dascans?). do they have a conversion disorder/psychogenic parkinsonism? do they have some form of dystonic tremor? nobody really knows yet what these patients have.
Unfortunately, the diagnosis of a "conversion disorder" by non-psychiatrists -not only in neurology but also in most other specialties-is often used as a "wastebasket" diagnosis to include all cases for which the diagnosis remains unclear after long term follow up and diagnostic testing. that doesn't mean of course that this diagnosis is always incorrect, but truth is that many patients with atypical presentation of otherwise common diseases end up misdiagnosed with a conversion disorder.

If i were in your place i would also consult a psychiatrist. see if he agrees with the probable diagnosis of a "conversion disorder".
Regardless of the final diagnosis your symptoms should be treated! What were the treatment recommendations by your neurologist?
Are you on any meds now?

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

#23 shooter

shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

My original dx was atypical pd .I was already being seen for major depression.Currently on pristiq w/little benefit.Neuro said to follow up w/psyc and continue present meds and possibly rescan[datscan]in a couple yrs.Psyc when informed with this unofficial dx advised me to get a 2nd opinion in cleveland.Currently waiting till next month to see the psyc.Thanks for your help and insight christie and everyone else.
John

#24 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Psyc when informed with this unofficial dx advised me to get a 2nd opinion in cleveland.

Hmm...psyc does not seem convinced your neurological symptoms are caused by a conversion disorder. i am no neurologist, but i find difficult to believe that a unilateral (resting?) tremor responding to simenet is caused by depression only. just because the datscan is inconclusive and the progression is slower than "normal"...(by the way if there is any "typical" case of Young onset parkinson's i would like to see it!).
i truly hope you will find your answers soon.

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users