#1 Island Woman

Island Woman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationNewport RI

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

I've notice recently I'm getting sores on my tongue..have put it off to spicey foods or to much OJ...do you have any suggestions? Thanks

Patricia

#2 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Patricia, are these canker-type sores -- sore bumps on the tongue? Or are they more like red raw areas? Are they just on the tongue, or also on the roof of the mouth or inside the cheeks? Does it give a constant burning feeling, or more just when you eat or drink?

There are a number of possibilities, including sensitivity to a toothpaste or mouthwash, nutrient deficiency, a condition causing dry mouth, and numerous others. A detailed description is helpful, but it may require visits to your dentist and doctor to narrow it down. Let me know and I will help as much as I can.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

#3 Island Woman

Island Woman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationNewport RI

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Kathrynne, canker type sore on one side of tongue...yes I have dry mouth when sleeping also use a scrpt toothpaste from the dentist...had dentist visit 3 weeks ago...no problem...today decided to try a new multi vit. have slacked off taking a mult. for a month.

Patricia

#4 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Patricia, here are some possibilities:

1) If the cankers began after you started the new Rx toothpaste, you may be sensitive to the toothpaste. Check to see if it contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, that has been a concern for some people. Also, some people are sensitive to the ingredients for teeth whitening and/or tartar control.

2) It could be virus-related; if so, lysine supplements should help as it blocks the ability of viruses to replicate.

3) It could be a nutritional deficiency. Consider whether your diet is replete in folate, B12 and iron, and if not, a supplement may be in order.

4) Dry mouth could also be the cause, you might consider a product such as Biotene to help keep the mouth moist.

Let me know if any of these seem likely.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#5 Island Woman

Island Woman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationNewport RI

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Kathrynne, it seems the new multi vit. has solved the problem so far...will watch it. Not sure which vit. could be deficient or if there are any way of testing.

Patricia

#6 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

If the sores are resolving, I don't think you need to worry about testing. But if they recur, then it may be good to think about overall nutritional sufficiency. Please keep us posted.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users