• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie

Eddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

I was told that Parkinson's "sucks" the calcium out of your bones, and need to rebuild the bones by one of several methods. One of them is "Reclast", its a once a year injection. Has anyone heard of this. I can't find anything linking calcium to Parkinson's.

#2 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

If I had known it was PD causing my osteopenia/osteoporosis all these years, maybe my PCP would have taken my request for Reclast more seriously. I'm seeing my MDS tomorrow and will ask her about it.
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#3 Rogerstar1

Rogerstar1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

I'm not certain that my Vitamin D deficiency was related to PD but when a blood test (or some test) revealed my extreme deficiencies of D and calcium I was put on a supplement and encouraged to get more sunlight. I still take a daily supplement and can't say that it makes me feel any better.

#4 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

Several studies have demonstrated a high incidence of vitamin D deficiency and/or lower bone mineral density in patients with PD. (as compared to age-matched controls without PD). More than two thirds of patients with early-stage PD have levels of 25-hydrovitamin D (25[OH]D) below the "insufficient" level. Long-term insufficiency is probably present prior to the development of motor symptoms. This may contribute to poor bone quality, bone loss, falls and fractures, especially in the elderly patients. (with younger parkies not excluded).

is it possible that vitamin D plays a role in the pathogenesis of PD ? Maybe. Or, inversely, is it possible that PD itself predisposes/causes the hypovitaminosis through a yet unknown pathway? The jury is still out on that one too.

In the meantime, let's ALL :

1.check our levels of 25(OH)vitamin D (with a simple blood test ) AND
2.make sure we get adequate sunlight exposure for vitamin D production. 10-15 minutes at around 10.00 or 15.00 three times a week should do the trick. we may need a little more, so what's a few more minutes of sun therapy?

PS : i had my own levels checked and iit seems 'm severely deficient in Vit D. My total 25(OH)vitaminD is only 9.5ng/ml (normal values are above the level of 30ng/ml! ). On a side note, i'm 37, in the early stages of PD, plus i live in Greece, one of the most sunny countries in the world ! go figure. As far as i am concerned, i'm convinced that PD caused my Vit D deficiency and not the other way around. That's no excuse of course for not enjoying the benefits of sunshine !

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

#5 RNwithPD

RNwithPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

I, too, am vit D deficient. I found out when I was complaining to my neurologist about persistent leg cramps and he said it could be my Vit D levels. I'm on 12,000 units of D3 per day and no more cramps.

Kevin

Currently age 42.  Symptomatic at age 36.  Diagnosed at age 39.  Sinemet 2-tabs every 4 hrs (800-1000mg levodopa daily); Amantadine 100 mg 3 times/day; Primidone 50 mg 3 times/day; gabapentin 200 mg 3 times/day; Klonopin 1 mg at bedtime; Seroquel 50 mg at bedtime; Effexor 75 mg daily; Vit-D3 5000 IU daily;Vit-B Complex daily; Melatonin 3 mg at bedtime

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users