6 replies to this topic

#1 frogger2

frogger2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

Hi
I was diagnosed with Parkinsonism around the age of 21. I was in Collage at the time. My symptoms hit me all at once, I was unable to speak fluently very soft voice, my gait and balance became very weak. I am now 28 and the symptoms have worsted.Is their anyway I could collect on either Social Security or Supplemental Security. I do not have any documented work history. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

#2 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

frogger2, you can go to SSA.gov online and apply for SSI. My daughter has been handicapped since birth and that's what she has lived on since she turned 18. It's not much she supplements with food stamps and Medicaid. The real question is, do you have strong documentation from doctors about your condition, its progression, and how it has made you unable to work. Most people are denied the first few times. Document, document, document and keep trying. good luck!
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#3 frogger2

frogger2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

See My issue is I was diagnosed after the age of 18. I was tryed for SSI a few months ago and I was denied, due to the age. I am not sure of anyway around this unless you can somehow find something in my medical history that would suggest or show I had some of the symptoms before 18. Thank you

#4 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

Did you have any PD symptoms documented by a medical professional before the age of 18. I suggest you call a company called Allsup. I don't know how much they charge, but their specialty is getting people SSD and SSI benefits. Here is the link: www.Allsup.com/Apply-for-Disability,
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#5 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

I think the suggestions from Beau's Mom are good ones. I think the lawyers and companies that assist with SS applications are limited by law to a certain percentage of back payments (maybe 25%?). Supplemental Social Security Income has fairly strict requirements on assests and income. In the new book from the American Academy of Neurology "Navigating Life with Parkinson Disease, there is a good chapter on legal matters with info on different types of trusts to consider if you have significant health problems. Is your family assisting you? If so, along with them, you may want to consider consulting an attorney that specializes in estate planning for people with health problems or special health needs to identify more options.

Good wishes to you. Know you've got good support here!

Husband diagnosed in 2005-Medicines: Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine, Levodopa (1X/Day); Sister and Best Friend from Childhood also have PD

#6 SSDisability

SSDisability

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

If you do not have any work history, you will have to apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. To qualify for SSI, you must be expected to be out of work for a year due to your disability and your income and assets combined should be less than $2,000.

More info on qualifying for SSI.

#7 frogger2

frogger2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

Hi thank you all for your posts. I have not moved forward with this as of yet. Beau's Mom I do not have any pd symptoms documented before the age of 18. I am lucky in the fact that I have a friend who is an Tax Attorney who focuses on estate planning. I have not talked to him about this issue, As I tend not to bring my illness up with friends. But im sure he would be willing to help. If need be. Thankyou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users