#1 Daven

Daven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

I see my MDS next week for my second follow-up appointment. For the most part, we are just observing how I'm doing. Over the last several months I've been very fatigued. So much, that if I'm idle and doing nothing, I fall asleep. I get a good nights sleep every night aided by trazodone so I feel as though I'm well rested when I start each day. I just can't shake this feeling of fatigue, being worn out. I really don't do much to warrant this. I excercise for one hour every day without fail.

What do you do to combat fatigue? Do you take a prescription that alleviates the problem? It's really starting to have a negative effect on my life. My wife is concerned that I'm going to fall asleep at a stop light and to be honest, so am I. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave

#2 newbob10

newbob10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

Dave,

I was initially on Amantadine when I was first trying to figure out what was going on with me. I had been extremely fatigued as you describe, and Amantadine helped significantly. I understand this is a relatively "weak" medication as far as PD motor symptoms go, but it sure helped me with fatique. I hope this helps.

Bob

#3 Daven

Daven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Bob,

Thanks for the response. I guess its good to know that there might be something that might help me. I'm barely functional at work. Somethings gotta give. Today was a rough one with falling asleep at the drop of a hat or the tremor in my right hand kicking in when I wasn't expecting causing me to spill a cup of noodles soup on my hand. The result was third degree burns on my index finger and the top of my hand. I think its time my doctor and I do a little more than observation.

Regards

Dave

#4 Vanillab1027

Vanillab1027

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

My first symptoms were extreme fatigue and all over pain and stiffness. The fatigue forced me to cut overtime, and then 2 years into it, I had to quit working full time. Eight months after that I finally was diagnosed and put on Sinemet and Amantadine for my PD symptoms and a low dose of Nortriptyline to help me get to sleep at night. That worked miracles! I sleep better and deeper and my fatigue level has decreased. It hasn't disappeared but every little bit helps. Hope you find something that works for you!

#5 RNwithPD

RNwithPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:14 AM

Exercise helps somewhat, but I have to take a nap afterwards to recover. Amantadine has also helped me to a degree, but otherwise I'm just suffering through it. One of the worst problems with YOPD is that no one, spouse included, will cut me an ounce of slack for anything. Pain, fatigue, and depression are not visible like tremor and dyskinesias, so they dismiss those complaints as lazyness and attempting to "blame everything on the PD."

Kevin

#6 Daven

Daven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

Vanilla, I take trazodone for sleep. I have pretty extensive nerve damage in my lower back so I take the trazodone to make me drowsy and calm my nerves down some so I can sleep. My plan is to work for at least 8 more years, at which point I should be able to retire and still maintain my current life style. I'm hoping I'm able to travel when that time comes.

Kevin, I'm so sorry that your friends and family dismiss your complaints as being lazy. No one asks for the problems that we are dealt. That's one area where everyone around me seems very supportive. My wife was the one who observed that I might be fatigued rather than just being tired. I've adjusted my life around my peripheral neuropathy in my legs, so I'd really like to discover something that would allow me to overcome this new problem. The fatigue has been building up over the last 6 months.

Dave

#7 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

Kevin, i have this sneaking suspicion that your wife might recognize and understand your challenges and probably cuts you much more slack in her heart and mind than she shows with her behaviour. and i think she might be doing this on purpose under the impression that this attitude will make you feel better, more confident, more "in charge" of your life. sort of a "you can do it" pep-talk. unfortunately, this is the wrong attitude, not helpful at all. this is common in families. sometimes, the patient accepts his/her diagnosis, and while he is in the grieving stage of acceptance, his/her family are still in deep denial ! that's wrong too, not helpful at all.

Have you discussed this with your wife ? i think it's very important to make her understand how you feel. probably even go together to a counselor, strip off this emotional bandade, get it all out, once and for good.

If despite your efforts she still can't cope with this the way she should, the way you would like her to, cut her some slack too and give her some time. maybe time is all that she needs. maybe time is all that YOU need too.
English is not my first language !

#8 RNwithPD

RNwithPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:20 AM

Christie,

I think you're right. I know she loves me very much because she shows me her love every day. It seems that she just doesn't know how to deal with my having PD and also is very worried about the finances right now.

Thanks for the encouragement and words of advice!

Kevin

#9 JakeL

JakeL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Have you asked your doctor about this already? If it's really impacting your life, I think you should ask your doctor more about your situation because everyone is different. I also think it's important to talk about this with your wife. I know how important it is to receive encouragement from others. Have you also tried searching up fatigue topics online? I tend to look online first too to learn more about my health. I also read articles online : http://onforb.es/116FDBU. I think this article was interesting to learn that you can ask doctors online so I think it might be helpful in your case. I hope everything works out for you soon! Best wishes.

#10 Natasha

Natasha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:58 AM

I had the same problem - I couldn't do anything ..
started Requip Modutab and from the first day and min dose I felt much better
now with 4mg a day I fell almost normal :)

#11 LoveMyHubby

LoveMyHubby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

Exercise helps somewhat, but I have to take a nap afterwards to recover. Amantadine has also helped me to a degree, but otherwise I'm just suffering through it. One of the worst problems with YOPD is that no one, spouse included, will cut me an ounce of slack for anything. Pain, fatigue, and depression are not visible like tremor and dyskinesias, so they dismiss those complaints as lazyness and attempting to "blame everything on the PD."

Kevin

My husband is the opposite. He feels a lot of what he experiences has nothing to do with his PD and when I tell him otherwise he gets upset. It's like he's in denial. He knows he has PD but with all the new symptoms I think he's having a hard time coming to terms with what lies ahead for him and for us as a family. I have noticed he is fatigued and not just tired. He can have a pretty slow day at work and he still come home complaining of being "tired".
And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away. -Revelation 21:4

#12 Pokermid2

Pokermid2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

Is that the outfit that Army guys wear?

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company!

#13 zackabenie

zackabenie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationRound Rock, Texas

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

I have been battling the fatigue symptoms for quite sometime now. They got worse after the DBS surgery. For several months all I could do was the basic things. My hubby has been very supportive, and it surely helps that we see a couples therapist. Having that third party to help has been great.
I use amantadine, requip XL, siminet, comtan, azilect and a heavy load of sleep meds, The day meds dont seem to address the fatigue, however, a friend gave me a aderral and that gave me and that was great, I am going to talk to my Dr. about prescribing for me to help with the fatigue. No problem with taking another meds, after all I am a lady of the 50's and believe in the OLD Dow Chemical moto "Better living through chemistry".

Received my Parkinsons kit from the site yesterday, it is great, I completed the med list and hubby teased where was I going to list my ganja - 2 large red/gold/green hairy buds daily.
Joelene -
Smile every day and laugh at least once at something the PD is now causing you to do. I personally love the "left" turns that happen as I walk. The smile really works - it makes everyone worry what you have been up to!

#14 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

My neuropsychologist told me early on that on stressful days, my only tasks are to breathe, eat and sleep. She said if I had any energy left over I should use it on exercise. It was sound advice. Being an overachiever, I immediately added meditation to the list. So much for me following good advice!
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users