5 replies to this topic

#1 caitlinrenes

caitlinrenes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

I first heard about Parkinson's through my mother. My paternal grandmother had it and nodded her head uncontrollably, it scared me a lot and I was always afraid to be like her. My hands have trembled my whole life and people notice and point it out often, some asking if I was scared or on drugs or nervous but I always wrote it off as anxiety and tried to ignore it though it bothered me. I sometimes have trouble doing things such as painting my nails or even typing like I am now. Recently I started looking more into Parkinson's and noticed something new, I've felt awkward walking my whole life never really knowing what to do with my arms and now I know it's because they don't swing. I don't get to visit the doctor very often, but I'm a bit worried. Do these sound like likely symptoms? Are there any other young people experiencing the same thing?

#2 Nospringsaussie

Nospringsaussie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

First things first, slow down and breath. If you are concerned about you symptoms you are in for a long path to get to the bottom of things. You need to be patient enough with the medical profession to get to an answer you feel comfortable with. I assume from your post heading that you are 17 y.o; that being said you will find it difficult to find a neurologist with the courage to label you at a young age with a life long life change diagnosis. It took me nearly 12months to weave through the medical profession until we found the answer that i had young onsets and was diagnosed at he age of 32.

Your symptoms could be many things including essential tremor which need to be ruled out. My advice to you would be to find a neurologist and get a first pass opinion. Then depending on what the neurologist has to say, seek out a neurlogist with a background in movement disorders to get a second opinion. Depending on where you live if may be difficult to find this second type of neurologist. Best place to start is at a major University with a good medical school and ask if the have a movement disorder clinic within the neurology group. This site also also has good references to good docs for your second opinion.

Good luck and whatever the outcome, be positive, strong but true to yourself and realize that even if you don't have PD there are those of us that have and in someway it has already touched your life. With that aid if you can embrace PD as a cause that you feel passionate about we need your help in many ways and please consider; giving, advocating or volunteering (or all three) to further our fight for a better life and a cure. (sorry I couldn't help the advertising at the end, but the PD community can always the help and in particular from younger people)..Cheers..

#3 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

Caitlinrenes....
I agree with Nospringsaussie, first things first, slow down and breath.
1.The fact your grandmother had Parkinson's does not mean you have it too, does not even increase this -extremely small-likelihood.
2.The more you "look into Parkinson's", as you said it yourself, the more convinced you will get you have it too. this is a normal reaction of all concerned patients. don't do this mistake. don't try to self-diagnose your condition. find a good doctor you can trust and let HIM do the job.
3.It is highly highly unlikely you have "Parkinson's". Juvenile Parkinsonism is a very very rare disease and tends to run in families. your grandmother's parkinson's is NOT juvenile Parkinsonism, but idiopathic Parkinson's, which is the commonest neurodegenerative disease in the eldlerly population. i can only guess there's not any other affected relative in your family tree with onset of Parkinsonism in a young age <40 years old. that's good news of course.
4.i agree once more with Nospingsaussie, your symptoms could be many other things, or even nothing at all !

Keep us posted on your doctor's appointment.
Christie
English is not my first language !

#4 Brad24

Brad24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

Listen to nospringsaussie and Christie they give good advise. Assuming you are 17, have you discussed this with your parents or guardians? Just for a while try not to read or look up things on the Internet. There is so many things it could be at your age. Please allow doctors and your parents/guardians to help work this out. Discuss your diet with your doctors. If you drink those awful energy drinks stop! Like the others said it can be many things. Good luck and please allow adults to help you.
DETERMINATION "In the heart of the strong shines a relentless ray of resolve...It cannot be stopped, it cannot be controlled, and it will not fail."

#5 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Relax... And go see a doctor.

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#6 Island Woman

Island Woman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationNewport RI

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

Luthersfaith, good advice....you can drive yourself crazy trying to second guess....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users