#1 cberns

cberns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWolcott, CT

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

I know that everyone is different but what medication gave each of you the biggest improvement?

I am presently going through a trial period with Neupro 2mg and am trying to give it a chance but really don't see a benefit yet. Thanks everyone.

FYI - I was daignosed 2 1/2 years ago but have had symptoms for over 5 years. I am slightly more rgidity dominant than tremor dominant. :cool:

#2 Tmj

Tmj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Az

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

I have been dxd for about a year with systems that became apparent over two years ago. I have been on Azilect but it did not work well as it caused confusion. I have tried rotigotine aka Nuepro patch. I am currently on 100 mg amatadine 3x per day. Have seen some improvement with the amatadine. I have expressed concerns to my MDS about ldopa since I am worried about starting it at age of forty. I think that is where we are headed though. She has been great about working with me looking at alternatives to sinemet. I realize I will have strart taking one day, just trying to hold off as long as i can. I have predominant rigidity, stiffness, and some tremor both resting and postural along with slowness of movement. Rigidity mostly on left with tremor mostly on right, and general leg stiffness when walking.

#3 cberns

cberns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWolcott, CT

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

Thanks Hokie - I am guessing that the Neupro patch was minimally effective along with other agonists?
I also take Amantadine 3xday @ 100mg along with Azilect and it helps.

#4 Tmj

Tmj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Az

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

Your right both of the agonist were minimally effective. I was weened on and off of the rotigotine over a period of about 3 months with no noticeable effects. Swallowing food was a little better but not much. Does the amatadine effect your sleep, I don't sleep well anymore?

#5 cberns

cberns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWolcott, CT

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

Sleep has been ok actually. My problem has been a stiff lower back.

#6 Elizabeth K.

Elizabeth K.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

Not to be complicated but drug combinations can sometimes work better than single drugs by themselves. My husband got the best results from regular sinemet (not ER) but adding Amantadine removed his awful, bone-crushing fatigue (though it shows up every couple weeks).

#7 Vanillab1027

Vanillab1027

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Regular Sinemet and Amantadine gave me my life back, well most of it anyway. Rigidity, pain and unbearable fatigue were all alleviated by this drug combo for me.

#8 Kristakj78

Kristakj78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

For me Sinemet was a LIFESAVER. I started noticing a difference and ease of walking around just over a week of being on it. I had a few neurologists that were against the Sinemet due to my age-34, but, wow, it was the WONDER drug for me. I was on Mirapex and Neupro patch together before Sinemet. I had issues with the patch sticking, and the Mirapex making me have nausea. It did help me sleep however, and have less anxiety. I was extra "jumpy" on two agonists though...so, now I'm on the Sinemet 3x a day w .50 Mirapex 3x day, and Aziliect, with Baclofen to help my muscles and sleep 1x a day.

#9 Brad24

Brad24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Sinemet and requip XL were a blessing. I was worried about starting the sinemet too early but every time I become overdue for a dose the neck, back and shoulder pains start it reminds me how well the sinemet works. I take 1 sinemet 3x per day and 4 requip XL 1x per day.
DETERMINATION "In the heart of the strong shines a relentless ray of resolve...It cannot be stopped, it cannot be controlled, and it will not fail."

#10 CynthiaM

CynthiaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

Mirapex was poison for me. Huge compulsive issues as well as withdrawal problems. Sinemet has been a real life saver.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......It's about learning to dance in the rain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users