• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ScottH

ScottH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hello, I am new to the forum and I appreciate being able to communicate with you all.

I am 45, married father of 3 boys and an owner of a small business. I was diag. with EOP about 4 years ago.

I am on Amantadine and Stalevo, and Trazedone for sleep. I am being weened off of Mirapex ER as I feel it was causing insomnia even with the Tranzedone.

The issue is my lack of focus. I am taking steps in my business to be less hands on physically, however I am seeing myself become unfocused. delaying placing orders, returning calls, and other very important work.

Is this a PD thing, a side effect of the meds or am I blaming PD needlessly?

I would very much appreciate your input/

Thanks!

Edited by ScottH, 12 December 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#2 Nospringsaussie

Nospringsaussie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

G'day, I am also relatively new to the forum and/or don't consistently post.

In a couple of my other post I think people may have been offended by what I wrote. The odd person may have thought I was too direct with my advice. I will caution you that i am direct and candid. My advice is free and cost you or me nothing to ignore. I don't see this forum as anonymous (I can be reached directly at dylankadehardy@me.com) so I give advice that I would give a friend and that is always candid, direct and not wishy washy. So with that said I'll get off my soap box and give you my 2 cents (you asked for it since you posted the question). One more piece of context, I am 37. I was diagnosed at 32. I am married and have two young kids. I work as a sales manager (after taking 4 demotions since my diagnosis) for a decent size technical/scientific company.

I suffer from cognitive issues. I struggle to focus on priorities and get distracted easily. Typically I can't push through it. Fatigue is often at the root of my distractions but not always. I was a very enthusiastic young executive on an extremely fast career path prior to the age of 30 when things started to go off the rails, I was able to hold it together for 2 years until my diagnosis. Back in the day apathy was not in my vocabulary but today I battle with it on a nearly daily basis.

I was on Requip prior to DBS and this made my symptoms all the more complex. Now with DBS behind me I am off Requip (similar to Mirapax) and also on significantly less (90% less) Sinimet I find my symptoms are easier to decipher. I use Lexapro and Seroquel to combat paranoia and depression and find that it is very effective but it also causes drowsiness and I now sleep like a baby but I know what it means to only get 2-3hrs sleep a night every night despite sleeping pills.

I would tell you that you can't ignore the role meds play in driving your lack of focus. This can also be tied back to fatigue which can be tied back to poor sleep from meds and PD. Despite these I can tell you that PD has changed me is so many ways and the one way I cannot deny it has made me apathetic. This causes me to loose focus at work. I struggle with this as I now place much less importance on work than I ever have. This makes my wife crazy as I am the sole bread winner and we can't afford for me to loose my job. I know PD has made me more apathetic however, it has also changed my perspective on life; I can easily focus on spending time with my kids and on this forum from time to time and find some great enthusiasm for these activities. I just can't deny that since my PD diagnosis that work seems so much less important to me and it is easy to apathetic about it. Without PD I don't think I'd feel that way. Lets face it, without PD my life would be different. I would feel like an invincible 30 something, charging up the career ladder with totally different priorities. I would be living my life in with a fantasy/fantastic view of a high powered career and future. I wouldn't be grounded back on earth, living for today and the important things that surround me. I am apathetic to work, but not to my family, kids, etc. Is that a PD problem or did I just grow up and realize what it truly important and become apathetic about everything else? Not sure, I let others be the judge of that.

Trudge on mate. Fight to be happy with yourself and ask all the questions you can. Doctors don't know everything, they help us manage our symptoms. Friends and posting can help you find your self and ask questions no Dr understands.
Cheers.

#3 joyfulnoise

joyfulnoise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Pd effects executive functioning. Medication can play a role but PD effects this, look up the definition for this and you may find it helpful. PD is not a fun disease. I don't have it but my husband does and he is young 54. As I look back it explains a lot of things.

Knowledge is helpful, because it leads to understanding. I find in researching Pd, focus on finding info on the non-motor symptoms of PD. I find that I have more understanding and patience if I understand the disease process. One can also put things in place to try and compensate for the changes PD brings.

Again there is a lot of info on motor symptoms but less focus on non motor and I find the non motor have huge effect for the young onset. You still have family's and work, a lot on your plate.

Blessings to you and your family

#4 rws2266

rws2266

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMontrose, CO

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

I've been off work since April, finally couldn't do it anymore. No focus at all, falling asleep at my desk, office a disaster area and forget about actually reading a set of plans and doing my job. Still have a hard time with simple instructions but getting rid of the stress of work has helped a lot. Good luck to you.
Rob

#5 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

I was at the high point of my career having worked my up to an executive position at a $2 billion asset financial services company when I was diagnosed with YOPD at age 48. I had symptoms for quite some time, but was fully functioning until about a year before diagnosis. I was fortunate that my employer offered a LTD benefit which when disabled would pay 60% of salary until age 65.

When I felt that my quality of work was suffering, and I could no longer cope with the extreme exhaustion, I met with my doctor who agreed to completing the disability paperwork for me. At first I was very sad, but now I look at it as a blessing. I learned to slow down (did I have a choice?), and appreciate what is really important in life.

Good luck to you.

#6 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Well… I need to think about it…
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#7 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Well… I need to think about it…

I think I'm still thinking about it… I think.
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#8 Gardener

Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hi Nospringsaussie,

It's a little discouraging to read that you were diagnosed at age 32 and have already had DBS surgergy. Can you tell me a little more about your symptoms and progression? Were you tremor dominant or rigid/slow/gait dominant? Where did you have your surgery done? I see a MDS at OSU and wonder about their experience in doing this type of surgery. I have the same apathy that you describe but none of my doctors seem too interested in this aspect of the disease.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users