Oakman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

Just saw this headline:
Panel Recommends Marijuana for Parkinson’s Disease

The panel was composed almost entirely of physicians and health care professionals. They recommended Parkinson’s Disease be added to the list of qualifying conditions contained within the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act.

Amantadine helped my muscle stiffness for almost two years, but is now less effective. Has anyone had success with marijuana to help alleviate any PD symptoms?

#2 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

I don't think PD is on the list for medical marijuana in my state. I think it would help my husband's sleep problems. We'll ask the MDS at the next visit.

#3 williamg

williamg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationTrapped in a body of Chaos and Confusion

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

Helps me to relax and sleep. It does lessen the shakes a bit also. I am sure it would be different for each person as to what it will do.
I'm not crazy, I'm just special!! ..No, wait..... Maybe I am Crazy. One second...... I have to talk to myself about this... Hold on......................

#4 patm61

patm61

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:30 AM

I've just started to use it at night to relieve the rigidity in my legs. During the day when I am busy I can mostly ignore the discomfort but as soon as I get into bed I just seem to lie there and stare at the ceiling as I am rigid as a board. I'm sure everyone recognizes this scenario.

I don't need to use much at all but the effect is absolutely immediate. I can feel my legs relax. If I am sitting next to my partner on the lounge with my legs draped over his knees, he can feel the effects also. Sleep is easy then, although only 5 hours these days.

I am in the process of weaning myself off Sifrol due to undesirable side-effects, so my symptoms seem worse at the moment. About half way through the process. I did ask my neurologist about the possibility of getting medical marijuana for my Parkinson's on a script but he neatly side-stepped the question and I did not push it at the consultation as there was a lot to get through regarding the Sifrol reduction and future Apomorphine injections. I am in Australia and this is possible here.

Now that I know it works I will certainly be asking my neurologist for medical marijuana when I see him in January.

#5 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#6 vipowitz

vipowitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

interesting......at the time i was first diagnosed i suspected my marijuana use ( abuse?) might have been the cause of my pd. Now i no longer partake.it makes me wonder maybe my pd was brought on by ceasing my long term usage

#7 williamg

williamg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Vipowitz- Funny you should mention stopping the use and symptoms getting worst. I also had stopped after partaking from sun up till sleep time and the symptoms increased dramatically. I know most who do smoke tend to become lazy/sleepy. I on the other hand become very motivated and tend to get things done.
When my doctor first mentioned PD I was asked to stop smoking to see if it changed my symptoms. The change has been increased rigidity, tremor and less sleep. Even though I live in a state that has made MJ legal for those 21 or older, I will be getting my medical card as soon as I can. With the card I can grow my own which I prefer as it is less expensive.
I'm not crazy, I'm just special!! ..No, wait..... Maybe I am Crazy. One second...... I have to talk to myself about this... Hold on......................

#8 williamg

williamg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

So I went yesterday and got my card. The process was... let's just say strange! The doctor was a quack! Obviously he is cashing in on the whole recommendation thing. $175 and he told me that carpel tunnel is not in the wrist's. He tried to tell me that the issue is in the muscle's near the elbows and the operation to fix it was just a way to make money. :shock: :roll: It was all I could to to keep from laughing out loud.

#9 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

LOL! In my state, a handful of doctor's give the referral for the cards. More than 90% of the cardholders have chronic pain. PD is not on the list of approved condiditons but "muscle spasms" can qualify you so PD might be able to be covered in that category. Plan to ask my husband's MDS at the next visit.

Congratulations for getting what you need fromm a "quack". I say whatever it takes.

#10 williamg

williamg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

His theory was out there!! I joined a co-op yesterday. It was a great place and I am glad I chose it over the other 5 in the city. Very professional, secure and discrete.

#11 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

The doctor was a quack! Obviously he is cashing in on the whole recommendation thing. $175 and he told me that carpel tunnel is not in the wrist's. He tried to tell me that the issue is in the muscle's near the elbows and the operation to fix it was just a way to make money. :shock: :roll: It was all I could to to keep from laughing out loud.

Not necessarily a quack ! Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by compression of the median nerve within the carpal tunnel at the wrist level. However, the median nerve can be injured/entrapped at several other locations : the cervical nerve root level, the cervical ribs (thoracic outlet syndrome), the elbow(pronator syndrome), and the list goes on... http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/6756339

Edited by christie, 05 January 2013 - 01:27 PM.

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

#12 Brad24

Brad24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

I have never tried marajuana but would once I retire to see if it would help my symptoms if it were legal in my state. I do have one question. What affect does it have on your lungs? I have always heard it is nothing like cigarette smoke.
DETERMINATION "In the heart of the strong shines a relentless ray of resolve...It cannot be stopped, it cannot be controlled, and it will not fail."

#13 Oakman

Oakman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

That's a good question... this study is interesting:

Occasional Marijuana Use Not Harmful to Lung Function

Of course PD marijuana smokers would likely not be considered occasional users.

Edited by Oakman, 07 January 2013 - 11:41 PM.

#14 williamg

williamg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

I have never tried marajuana but would once I retire to see if it would help my symptoms if it were legal in my state. I do have one question. What affect does it have on your lungs? I have always heard it is nothing like cigarette smoke.

I have smoked both and I can say that cigarettes are much harsher and reduce lung capacity quickly for me. There are carcinogens in Marijuana but not nearly as many as a cigarette. I have watched people smoke MM for the first time and they all say the same thing... "That is really smooth!"

That's a good question... this study is interesting:

This requires a login to view.....

Not necessarily a quack ! Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by compression of the median nerve within the carpal tunnel at the wrist level. However, the median nerve can be injured/entrapped at several other locations : the cervical nerve root level, the cervical ribs (thoracic outlet syndrome), the elbow(pronator syndrome), and the list goes on... http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/6756339

His Quakiness is the way he presented himself really! He literally jabbed his finger tips into my forearm muscles in a way to create a lot of pain, not wrist pain but pain in general, then asked if it hurt. When I told him that it hurt he said "See, that is the cause of the pain!" Then he went into a full blown Salesman pitch for some topical ointment that he has produced that will cure almost everything......

#15 bajansunbabe

bajansunbabe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBarbados / Duncan, BC Canada

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

I smoke on average four spliffs (part marijuana and part tobacco) four times a day. It relaxes the tight muscles which give me so much pain and definitely helps me sleep. It is very expensive to buy here (Barbados) and of course illegal. It is also not as strong as what we get at home (BC bud)! In Canada I have tried baking with canabutter but find the the consistency in each cookie or square is not even so I prefer smoking a spliff.

#16 Oakman

Oakman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

This requires a login to view.....

Sorry, try this:

http://abcnews.go.co...89#.UOym9m99LzM

#17 williamg

williamg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

I smoke on average four spliffs (part marijuana and part tobacco) four times a day. It relaxes the tight muscles which give me so much pain and definitely helps me sleep. It is very expensive to buy here (Barbados) and of course illegal. It is also not as strong as what we get at home (BC bud)! In Canada I have tried baking with canabutter but find the the consistency in each cookie or square is not even so I prefer smoking a spliff.

When I smoked cigarettes I tried a spliff. I did not care for the cigarette flavor being mixed with the marijuana flavor. Cigarettes taste nasty where as indica or sativa taste wonderful (to me). I quit smoking cigarettes because it was getting hard to breath along with the fact that it destroys everything it (the smoke) gets on. I am now back to sleeping almost the entire night again. I wake up at the usual times but fall right back asleep instead of feeling restless. For the first time in 40 years of smoking marijuana I paid tax on a purchase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users