• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rweinb

rweinb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

I just purchased a 5000mcg sublingual vitamin b12 supplement.....in two out of three days, I have experienced a big off period which is not normal for me. I read an article you wrote about vitamin b6 interefering with sinemet absorbtion thru the blood barrier...is it possible the same applies to vitamin b12?

#2 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Dear Friend,
I am not aware that B12 blocks levodopa absorption, but such a large amount may have effects we have not yet encountered.

The RDA for adults is 2.4 mcg per day, and while a safe upper limit has not been determined, I question the use of 5000 mcg except under a doctor's supervision. If you have not yet done so, I would ask your doctor to conduct a test for serum B12 (ask for a test for methylmalonic acid, rather than the Schilling, it is more accurate), and if you are deficient, then your doctor can advise you as to the best amount to take for repletion.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

#3 joy h

joy h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

I take 500 each day plus a B complex each day

#4 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Joy, if you're not experiencing any adverse effects from 500 mg B12, then it should be fine, although I would not ordinarily recommend that amount unless lab testing indicates a need. You don't say what amount your B complex contains, but in general they have far more than the RDA. That includes B6, which can in some people block the absorption of levodopa, but again, if you're doing well, then that should be okay.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users