Dialing In a Parkinson’s Diagnosis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Dialing In a Parkinson’s Diagnosis
December 28th, 2012
Posted Image
(WGGB) — Tremors, trouble walking, stiff and achy muscles. There are many unmistakable signs of Parkinson’s.
Now, researchers are looking at another symptom that could help diagnose the disease with a phone call.
Listen closely to these men.
“It’s a learning experience every time,” says Richard Bailey, a Parkinson’s patient.
“Yea, I didn’t know what was causing it,” adds another Parkinson’s patient, David Akins.
Do their voices tell you they have Parkinson’s?
“We are discovering new things about how Parkinson’s affects the voice,” says Dr. Max Little,
Little, from MIT, says in lab settings, his team’s technology was able to detect the disease with 99 percent accuracy, just by listening to voice recordings.
The Parkinson’s Voice Initiative is collecting phoned-in voices from around the world and measuring 130 features, including breathiness, tremors, vocal pitch and tone.
“Not all of them are that easy to hear and that’s why you need precision algorithms in order to be able to pick these things out,” says Little.
Little’s goal – “to reduce the costs involved in doing for example mass-scale screening.”
He says it could also help doctors optimize drug timing and dosage by evaluating patients’ voice changes as their medications wear off throughout the day.
Detecting disease – just by dialing in.
So far, more than 18,000 people from around the world, those with and without Parkinson’s, have shared their voices for the research.
All it takes is a three minute call. For the number and more information, log on to this website.

http://www.wggb.com/...sons-diagnosis/
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

#2 Beachdog

Beachdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • LocationCape Cod Massachusetts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Drat ... the project is complete. My voice changes during the day and has changed over time so I do believe that PD "may" be detectable from voice recordings. (I waffle as there may be other fun ailments which impacts the voice.)

#3 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

I wonder if voice changes through the day may be related to medications peaking and ebbing; and if so, how that might affect the voice recordings. However, I imagine the project directors factored that in.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#4 Island Woman

Island Woman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNewport RI

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

I took part in the project but the last news letter from them was in Aug. but no results from my call in so far.

Patricia

#5 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

If it's possible, I'd consider contacting the project director(s) and ask when results might be obtained. Please let us know if you do, I think many folks would be interested.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users