Probiotics help constipation in Parkinson's disease patients

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

I am certain that probiotics, such as yogurt and kefir, are of importance both in intestinal health and for alleviating constipation -- and diarrhea as well. -Kathrynne

Probiotics help constipation in Parkinson's disease patients

01/14/2013 00:37:00 admin
Font size: Posted Image Posted Image

By Jimmy Downs

Sunday Jan 13, 2013 (foodconsumer.org) -- Taking probiotic supplements may help treat constipation in people with Parkinson's disease, a study in Minerva Gastroenterologica and Dietologica suggests.

E. Cassani from Parkinson Institute, Istituti Clinici di Perfezionamento in Milan, Italy and colleagues found patients with Parkinson's disease who suffered constipation significantly normalized stools by taking 65 ml fermented milk drink containing 6.5x109 CFU of Lactobacilus casei Shirota daily for five weeks.

Constipation is common in patients with Parkinson's disease, which is generally treated with a special diet full of soluble fiber supplements and macrogol laxatives, the authors say.

Lactobacillus casei Shirota has been tested in two previous trials for their effects on gastrointestinal symptoms in patients suffering chronic constipation, according to the report.

In the study, forty Parkinson's patients suffering from constipation were treated with dietary therapy for the first week and then were treated by taking 65 mL fermented milk drink with 6.5x109 CFU of Lactobacilus casei Shirota every day for five weeks.

Parkinson's disease patients during taking probiotics significantly improved stool consistency, reduced episodes of bloating, abdominal pain, and sensation of incomplete emptying.

The researchers concluded "This pilot study showed that a regular intake of probiotics can significantly improve stool consistency and bowel habits in Parkinson's disease patients."
http://www.foodconsu...0113130638.html
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

#2 Gardener

Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

I found this post very interesting. I've suffered with constipation for years and have tried every laxative on the market plus prune juice, bran, you name it, with no results. Since I already have a high fiber diet, exercise daily and drink water, I was at a loss for what to do next. My neighbor mentioned Acidophilus so I got a bottle (3 billion cells per capsule) and gave it a try. Results have been amazing!

Gardener, female, 58, diagnosed at 55, 650 mg of Sinemet daily.

#3 noah

noah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

I have been able to manage my constipation through prune juice and that prune juice cocktail you had mentioned. I will be going on vacation and wont have access to either of those. I am going to alaska . Can you recommend something portable and easy to take on a plane and wont require refrigeration?

#4 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Gardener, good for you, and thanks for posting, it reinforces my own thinking.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#5 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Noah, you could take a bag of plain prunes in your suitcase and simply eat a few each day.

Alternatively, if there will be a refrigerator where you stay in Alaska, you could take a zip bag of wheat bran on the plane; then when you get to Alaska, purchase a bottle of prune juice and some applesauce and make the prune juice cocktail.

Another thought is to try probiotic gelcaps and see if that works for you. An example would be Enzymatic Therapy Probiotic Pearls. I would try this ahead of time, however, to be certain it is effective for you.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#6 noah

noah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Where does one get theseenzymatic therapy pearls?

On a different topic does the protein in soy milk interfere with sinemet as much as cows milk?

thank you for all your advice!

#7 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Noah, a good health food store should either have Enzymatic Therapy products or be able to order them for you. I mention the product because many probiotic gelcaps must be refrigerated, whereas these do not. Alternatively, a website such as iherb.com should carry them

Regarding soy milk, the amino acid profile is vastly different from cow's milk, and usually does not cause the same protein-levodopa issues at all. I would give it a try if you think cow's milk is blocking Sinemet absorption. Let us know how your trip to Alaska goes -- wish I were going, too.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users