1 reply to this topic

#1 alcor

alcor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

Hello,
I,m 52, male. After about 10 months since a slight and occasional resting tremor in my right arm and leg apperered, a Datscan confirmed diagnosis of early PD 3 months ago. I exercise regularly as always but when I run for 5-10 min. my right leg blocks. It unblocks immediately if I run backwards or walk. I have not noticed any rigidity or slowness.
Since the diagnosis I have taken Azilect with no difference in my tremor, but lately I have noticed dizziness some minutes after I start walking. My neurologist has told me to interrupt Azilect for 15-30 days and see what happens. I.m on my forth day without Azilect and I have no observed any difference neither in the tremor nor in the dizziness. I don,t know if the dizziness is caused by Azilect or is a new symptom of PD. Besides I am perhaps missing the claimed slowing effect of Azilect on the disease progress.
Thank you for your comments on my case.

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

The slowing effect of Azilect is hotly debated. Its symptomatic effects are small. The problem with your lag sounds PD related and may even be a manifestation called dystonia. I would recommend consideration of a dopmaine agonist or sinemet as these both can work wonders for this problem. If you start an agonist especially as a young person, monitor for impulse control behaviors (gambling, shopping, eating, etc.)

This is information you should share with your doctor.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users