#1 Drummergirl

Drummergirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationWhite River Jct. Vermont

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

I am a 52 yr old female and I have been on Sinemet for 17 1/2 years. I have always been slim but now I am concerned as I can not put weight on. My weight is 110 lbs. and my height is 5'5".

I also take 0.5 mg of Azilect daily. The Sinemet and protien is an issue for me.

I would like to drink a protien milk shake at bedtime and any other foods you can suggest would be welcomed.

Karen
Karen

Dx in 95' at 35- Normal MRI, Abnormal Da t Scan- Resting tremor- right foot, leg tremors. RX- 25/100 Carb/ l =600 mg,
0.5 Azilect 1 daily Comtan 200mg 2 day, 0.5 mg Clonazepam 1 daily.

#2 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Karen, have you lost weight in the past year or so? If your weight has always been around 110 lbs, that's one thing, but if you have experienced a loss of 5% or more of your usual weight, that's another matter entirely.

Also, if you have lost weight, has it been since starting Azilect? There are many possible reasons for weight loss, and if it is related to medications, it would likely require a different approach than weight loss due to, say, depression, or inability to finish meals, for example.

You do require at least .5 grams protein per pound of body weight per day; and if you've lost weight, then I would increase that to .5 grams protein per pound of former body weight per day. I would divide this amount about equally among morning, midday, and evening meals, taking levodopa about 30 minutes before the meals. This will make it a bit easier to time protein and levodopa.

If this doesn't work for you, then I would also ask whether milk protein is a particular problem for you -- milk is especially rich in the amino acids that interfere with levodopa absorption. Some people also find that certain proteins, such as turkey dark meat, or bacon, are problematic. If there is a protein that is better for your purposes, I would focus on that as much as possible.

Regarding a bedtime shake, if milk is no problem for you, then consider adding some peanut butter and perhaps chocolate syrup for a tasty smoothie that is rich in protein. Alternatively, if milk protein is a concern, you might try an alternative such as Rice Dream, add a teaspoon or two of extra-virgin olive oil and peanut butter (to increase calories) plus chocolate syrup. Fruit smoothies are also an option, but I would add some extra-virgin olive oil (very rich in antioxidants) for more calories.

Also consider a couple of tablespoons of mixed raw nuts (rich in valuable trace minerals, vitamin E, magnesium and fibers) as a snack once or twice a day. The fats in nuts are highly beneficial to health, as well as adding more calories.

Let me know if this isn't helpful for you, perhaps I can think of other possibilities.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users