2 replies to this topic

#1 joshzach4

joshzach4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBloomington Il

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Was wondering if anyone on here could offer advice or experiences on working thirds? I took a promotion with a big pay increase to work third shift. Physically the work will be easier just wondering about how my bodily will react?

#2 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

I work from 4:30 am (up at 3:15 am) till 11:30 some days and 2 pm other days. Been doin it for over 7 years. All I can say is pace yourself, keep meds on time and sleep right.

A little advice... save all that extra cash. Live like you never got it.

Edited by Luthersfaith, 20 January 2013 - 09:32 AM.

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#3 RNwithPD

RNwithPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:59 AM

I work 12-hour night shifts from 7 pm (usually arrive at 6:45) to 7 am (typically clock out at 7:30). The work is generally a little easier than dayshift because doctors, managers, and visitors aren't running around everywhere like they do on days, but simply being up all night is much more of a strain on my body than being on days. I definitely cannot rotate my sleep schedule like most everyone else does - I have to stay up all night and sleep during the day even on my nights off in order to get enough rest and stay on a routine medication schedule. I have also found that because I am alone all night when I'm off, I'm generally not as active and I tend to get depressed more from the lack of human interaction. However, I'm pretty much stuck right now because I can't afford to take the pay cut of going to days. In my opinion, unless I absolutely had to have the money, I would stay on days and maintain a normal sleep schedule. You're body will appreciate you for it.

Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users