4 replies to this topic

#1 KatelynElizabeth

KatelynElizabeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Hello, Everyone.

I am a Therapeutic Recreation student and am currently writing a paper on Parkinson's disease. Part of this paper focuses on the supports that exist for those who struggle with this disease. A friend, who's husband has Parkinson's, directed me here--she and her husband think highly of this forum. And I am wondering if you would mind sharing your opinion with me too...

What makes this a good forum?
What are some of the benefits of being a member?
Are there any drawbacks?
What other support resources can you recommend?

Thank you very much, in advance. Having "real life" evidence will add great value to my paper.

Best wishes,
Kate

#2 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

a place to learn
learn about drugs and PD in general... the bad, the ugly and the good
no
PD chatroom/ and having a great / wonderful wife.

Edited by Luthersfaith, 19 January 2013 - 08:00 PM.

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#3 woodbee

woodbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

This is a good forum because people with Pd are welcomed; they can find answers to their questions, they can often find others who are experiencing similar symptoms, people can problem solve and share how to deal with specific aspects of the disease and how it is effecting them. Some very informed people offer their expertise. Plus it is a place to share the emotionsl ups and downs as we each figure out how to accept/grieve lost healthy expectations we once had. The forum is a place to debate (sometimes), argue (sometines), discuss, support, offer compassion and understanding. The face of Pd becomes personal here.
We are also Lucky to have the Ask the Dr. ,Ask the Pharmacist, Ask the Nutrionist, forums ETC. This has been a fantastic support for myself and many others.

Drawbacks? Hm...rarely getting to meet the other members in person. Occasionally it happens but not often enough

#4 RNwithPD

RNwithPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

The greatest benefit of this forum is simply being able to talk with other people who understand what I am going through. A person can study a subject for their entire life but never truly understand it until they personally experience it. It has been amazing to me to discover how many symptoms that we all share in common, yet are often discounted as not being related to PD or seemingly unrecognized by medical science. In some strange way it's comforting to know that there are other people out there who are experiencing the same thing and who simply understand - even when those closest to you don't.

There aren't any drawbacks that I can think of, and I really don't utilize any other "support" services other than this forum.

Kevin

#5 kmcclung

kmcclung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

What other support resources can you recommend? Parkinson's Fourm on PatientslikeMe.

What are some of the benefits of being a member? Resources supplied by NPF.

Ken

Edited by kmcclung, 24 January 2013 - 07:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users