9 replies to this topic

#1 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Learned today that my husband with PD will need rotator cuff surgery. He's checking with his MDS as we know he will need to be his Azilect before the surgery before we set the date. They are telling him that full recovery could take up to six months. Does anyone have experience with this or similar surgery? We've found any injury seems to take longer to recover from because of the PD. Any suggestions for sailing through this smoothly? We have the medicine kit for going to the hospital from NPF.

Husband diagnosed in 2005-Medicines: Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine; Sister and Best Friend from Childhood also have PD

#2 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

I just had this done in December. It was a much bigger emotional and physical strain than I expected, although it might have been lessened by less stress already occurring in other areas of my life. Be SURE to prepare your Aware in Care information. One of the first possible calamities that being prepared and having the Safe w/PD meds list along prevented was being given the wrong anesthesia! Make sure to discuss everything directly with the anesthesiologist, not the nurse anesthetist or any assistant! And do be prepared for a longer than usual recovery period. I have yet to begin passive range of motion after nearly 6 weeks.
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#3 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Oh my! We do have the Aware in Care Info and will get further instructions from my husband's MDS today. They told him to expect 6 months before he is back to his regular activities (bike riding, etc.). Thank you for the info. Do you go to physical therapy? Was yours an in-patient or out-patient procedure?

Husband diagnosed in 2005-Medicines: Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine; Sister and Best Friend from Childhood also have PD

#4 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Mine was an inpatient procedure because I am on a walker full time and my PD is fairly advanced. I spent two days in the hospital and several weeks in rehab facilities receiving OT & PT. I am currently on my second admission to the hospital for depression and have not yet been "home," wherever that may turn out to be. If I had the choice to do it again, I absolutely would not. Your husband's disease sounds much less severe than mine, and I'm guessing his will be an outpt procedure with few complications.

Another suggestion: If your husband spends any time in the hospital or a rehab, ask the doc to write an order that you or he can keep his PD meds at bedside so that you can give them to him on time.
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#5 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the tips, especially about keeping your own medicines. They are planning on an out-patient procedure. Hospitals stays can be hard on people as you learned with your medications.

#6 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

My husband's surgery is scheduled for today. He's come down with a cold so don't know if it will be a go or not. We have all our "Aware in Care" papers ready to take along. It is a terrific kit. A week without his Azilect (had to stop for the surgery) is showing. I hope he can have the surgery as planned so he doesn't have to go longer without the medicine. I'm holding off on making the jello in case he doesn't have the surgery but have everything ready for the chicken soup which would be good for him today either way.

#7 coacht

coacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

Hope all goes well.

#8 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the good wishes. The doctors gave him a go for the surgery even though he had a cold and he came through with flying colors. They felt staying off the PD medications would be more problematic and he was cleared for receiving anesthesia. The shoulder repair turned out to be less than expected so rehab should go quickly. The "Aware in Care" info was appreciated by the hospital staff and the nurses were very receptive to my suggestions on offering directions in post-op to help him swallow more easily (drink slowly, tuck your chin). He's moving slowly here at home but I'm confident he will improve now that he is back on his PD medications.

If you haven't ordered a NPF "Aware in Care" kit, I encourage you to do so today!

#9 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

So happy to hear it went well for you!
Dianne

#10 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

Thank you! He is recovering well. I head back to work today but am confident he'll get along fine. Hooray for my long weekend! My sister came and stayed with us over the weekend too. She is a great help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users