E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

Mirapex--Availability of Teva Brand Generic ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DougF62

DougF62

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationOneonta, NY

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

I have been taking the Teva brand generic for Mirapex since fall, 2011, along with sinement and azilect. In December, 2012, my dose of Mirapex was raised from 0.75 mg 3x per day to 1 mg 3x per day. At the same time, my Rite-Aide pharmacy changed the generic from Teva to another brand. Checking on the Teva web site, I could not find Mirapex (pramipexole). I emailed Teva and asked about the availabilty of their brand of Mirapex. Their response was that they ceased manufacturing it in August, 2012. My pharmacist and I agree that it is preferable to continue with the same generic brand if it is working well. Do you have any information regarding the possibility that Teva may have licensed or sold the rights to manufacture this drug to another company?

#2 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Board Certified Pharmacist

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

I did some serious research on this one. Since it was past hours, I could not phone Teva myself , but I did find the same issue you did. When you pull up the Teva site and try to find it, it is no were to be found. This could be due to a few things. 1- it is made by Teva but distributed by someone else. I did see that when I looked up Teva NDC (national drug code)- which is unique for every single medication made, i found it interesting it was distributed by ANDA Pharmaceuticals.
First, your best bet is to have your pharmacy (which you said was Rite Aid- with whom I worked for), get the NDC of the TEVA brand you have taken. Then have them call McKesson Drug Company (which is a secondary wholesaler) and ask if they have that in stock. If yes-then they can order it for you.**a little insight, pharmacies don't like to order from the secondary wholesaler because it costs more money, because now the pharmacy chain warehouse only carries a brand made by a different company**. If the pharmacist is told "no" it is not in stock, the secondary wholesaler can tell them why(ie. Discontinued, supply can not equal demand, , etc.... Plus the secondary wholesaler can also give a potential release date.
Another thing Rite Aid can do is what they call a store look-up. This is where they can look-up what Rite Aid stores in the surrounding area may have the Teva brand you need and it will also tell them how many the store has on hand.
And an FYI, I looked under the Government shortage and not available list, and generic Mirapex was not there.
Hope I helped and keep me posted .

Edited by MComes RPH, 06 February 2013 - 10:47 PM.

Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#3 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Board Certified Pharmacist

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

I almost forgot, if you follow the link below, it will lead you to a list of all the companies that make generic Mirapex, the NDC, and a whole lot of other info. Enjoy.
http://www.hipaaspac.../P/Pramipexole/
Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users