Use of Levodopa

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 low_ets

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

My Thanks and Appreciation to those moderating this forum. After experiencing what appeared to be a subset of Parkinson-like symptoms, I was prompted by a relative to seek the advice and journalism of our family physician. What started as a mild [resting] tremor in my right hand; - began slowly though surely recognizing some other behaviors [slower than usual movement, terrible anxiety, a change in gait/posture]. Like most individuals, I postulated and considered this for over two years and never actually sought medical attention. Only recently however was I fortunate to have discussed the issue with a Neurologist; - I was of course immediately prescribed Levodopa.

However; - I have one question. What is the typical response of the resting tremor to the introduction of Levodopa/Carbidopa? Although I am certain the result vary from individual-to-individual; what is the general expectation?

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,580 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

When adjusted to the right dose and interval it usually helps or completely captures resting tremor. There are however 20% of cases with no response or an incomplete response to tremor, though other features may respond.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.

Author of Amazon Kindle and Paperback 10 Breakthrough Therapies for Parkinson's Disease
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users