teacher0707

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hey everyone,

I am running a road rally this summer with my YOPD support group to raise awareness and funds for research and to help patients in need in our area get the medication they need. What I was wondering was if any of you had any interesting facts about PD that we could use on our road rally. Or if you have any tasks that are difficult for you that we could easily have the participants reinact so they understand what we go through everyday. Thanks for all the help.

#2 Daven

Daven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

The hardest thing for me so far is overcoming the waves of extreme fatigue throughout the day. It really puts a damper on your day when you're trying to be productive at work.

Dave

Dx: 2014, Onset: 2011 (?)

Sinemet 25/100mg 4X/day  (6:00am, 11:00am, 4:00pm, 9:00pm)

#3 joy h

joy h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

exhaustion like i have never felt before. Some days the thought of showering and dressing seems like a Hugh task, I have grown weaker, thinking before acting, thinking ahead, organization, memory what i need to do where i put things, remembering appts, finding the right word, directions, where i parked the car, tremor makes walking tricky, cant multi task, sleep difficulties, speaking loud and clear, telling folks the same thing twice, cold, dystonia in my fingers, neck, ankles and feet, your way around store or mall, sequence of stops, tying shoes, buttons, weight loss, strange eye movements, dry mouth cause loads of problems. Sorry this is not organized it is how my brain listed it

#4 joy h

joy h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

I forgot to add I'm 53 and have never in my entire life felt this kind of exhaustion There are days when I have to call my home from drive and say im so exhausted [lease come help me undo my bed I need to lay down. Also falling asleep during the day

#5 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

Parkinson Disease is a progressive neurological disorder that has debilitating effects on a persons ability to control voluntary movement.

Symptoms include: Tremor, Slowness of movement, Stiffness of muscles, Loss of balance, Speech & memory difficulties, Freezing and Falling, Along with other symptoms.

Parkinson's usually affects people over the age of 60.However, people with Parkinson's being diagnosed prior to 60 is on the rise.

Young Onset Parkinson's (under 55) accounts for approximately 15% of all Parkinson's Disease cases.

People with YOPD and their families face many challenges unique to their age.

Many are still working or just getting a career underway.Many have families with children under 18.

Most are still paying bills such as mortgages, child expenses, car payments, etc.

YOPD often forces patients & their families to face some very difficult decisions early in life, including long term health care, filing for disability, loss of career and income.

There is a need for support & education for people with YOPD and their families.

http://www.pdoutreach.org/yopd.html
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#6 teacher0707

teacher0707

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

I agree with you Joy I am 22 and have alot of the same issues. Thank you for the information. i am hoping that by raising awareness people like us won't be over looked or seen as scarry.

#7 Tmj

Tmj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Az

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

I grew up watching The Sound of Music - my parents must have made us watch it at least 20 times. So for those of us that know the tune, here is my rendition of the song 'favorite things'.

SIGNS OF PD

Issues with memory and slowness of recall
Losses of balance and fears that I might fall
Problems with neurons that cause me to freeze
These are a few of the signs of PD

Neuro appointments and meds by the truckload
Shaking called tremor and voices of low tone
Cramping and stiffness that causes distress
These are the things we have more or less

Issues with sleeping and expressions of face
Dealing with drooling and slowness of pace
Confusion, depression, anxiety and stress
These are some things upon us that press

When fatigue strikes
When the leg drags
When I’m feeling bad
I simply remember that I have PD,
And that there are worse things to have

#8 bajansunbabe

bajansunbabe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBarbados / Duncan, BC Canada

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Awesome song Hokie! Put a smile on my face!

Deanna

#9 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Once I was able to recall the tune, it was very clearly a song I would love to sing!!!! Thank you.
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#10 RNwithPD

RNwithPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:23 AM

Interesting PD fact: 20-30% (depending on which source you reference) of all PD patients do not have a tremor. In fact, tremor is not necessary for diagnosis.

Kevin

#11 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

Interesting PD fact: 20-30% (depending on which source you reference) of all PD patients do not have a tremor. In fact, tremor is not necessary for diagnosis.

Kevin

interesting indeed...of all four cardinal clinical features of parkinson's (rest tremor, rigidity, bradykinesia and postural instability), bradykinesia is the most specific for PD and absolutely essential for diagnosis. in the absence of true bradykinesia (with reduction of both speed and amplitude, fatiguing and arrests of repetitive movements) the diagnosis of PD cannot be established, even if all the remaining features are present.

Edited by christie, 09 February 2013 - 07:01 AM.

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users