#1 Kristakj78

Kristakj78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

So my genetics testing came back inconclusive, so gotta wait again.....ugh. Was done in mid Dec, and they said results would be back Jan 17th....been playing phone tag, and now they're saying end of Feb cause they need to "make sure." I'm just curious.

#2 williamg

williamg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationTrapped in a body of Chaos and Confusion

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Wait again? Are you doing a second test?
I'm not crazy, I'm just special!! ..No, wait..... Maybe I am Crazy. One second...... I have to talk to myself about this... Hold on......................

#3 Kristakj78

Kristakj78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

So got the genetics test back today (finally). It showed something with the LRRK2 gene. My neuro wants me to talk to the genetic counselor about it more, but she isn't in til Monday. Does anyone know anything about this specific gene?

#4 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

LRRK2 mutations are a known cause of genetic parkinsonism. This is a dominant gene, meaning that even a single copy-inherited by the mother or the father-may cause the disease. Each child of a carrier of this mutated gene has 50% chances of inheriting the mutation. However, the actual risk of developing parkinson's later on in life is much lower, because the gene is expressed to cause parkinsonism only in a small percentage of all mutation carriers. Mean age of LRRK2-related Parkinson's is 60 years of age (resembling late-onset PD). The progression is slow.

Information on LRRK2-related PD can be found here: http://www.ncbi.nlm..../books/NBK1208/

Edited by christie, 16 February 2013 - 12:07 PM.

English is not my first language !

#5 woodbee

woodbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Sorry gang, i was just reading the above posts and accidentally hit the quote tab. Wish I knew something to contribute but I don't.

eileen

Edited by woodbee, 15 February 2013 - 11:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users