#1 4laurant2

4laurant2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

Hi Dr. Okun,

I read about a treatment using ultra sound to help relieve the symptoms of Parkinson Disease, instead of DBS. Are you familiar with this treatment? Please comment. Thank you in advance.

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

It has been studied for essential tremor, and the publications have yet to hit the presses. What they do is shoot ultrasound waves into the brain to make holes (lesions) to improve symptoms. This is safer than radiation therapy (gamma knife), and it remains for the data to clarify the safety of this approach compared to DBS (this approach is an irreversible lesion). The advantages to this approach is that there is not a need to cut open the brain as the ultrasound is fed in through a machine you lay down inside of....the downside is that these structures are tiny (millimeters) and a miss could leave you with an irreversible side effect. It is very interesting and we will continue to watch for you.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 4laurant2

4laurant2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

Dr. Okun,

My Neurologist is suggesting that I see a Neurosurgeon to see if I qualify for DBS. The problem is my insurance doesn't cover it, unless it's deem necessary. My tremors are mainly on my left side, but it gets worse when I go to the doctor. Otherwise I have good control. Have you seen patients that have the same problem or I’m unique? Thanks in advance.

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

In the United States most insurance companies with adequate documentation support the use of DBS for tremor or Parkinson's disease. Remember to try adequate doses of levodopa, agonist, and in some cases anticholinergics to try to treat tremor. Sometimes people under-dose levodopa or alternatively have not checked the gastric emptying (drugs not absorbing). DBS is a very good treatment for medication refractory tremor.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users