10 replies to this topic

#1 McCall

McCall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

My husband has developed moderate irritation of his eyes in just the past week or so. It is not pink eye, and while it might be dry eye, usually that does not come on that fast and that severe. I have dry eye and it came on over a very long time and even untreated is not as bad as his is in just a week.

First I thought I read that Dry eye or eye irritation is another PD affliction, but I can't find where I read that now. So is it?

Second what is the best treatment? right now we are using an over the counter homeopathic drops by Similasan with Beledona as well as other stuff in it. Helps some. Tried other moisture drops did not do much at all.

Any other suggestions?

#2 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

My dry eye started in earnest after I has Lasik surgery on my eyes but was initially caused by PD's slowness of blink rate. I use full strength night time eye gel (a combination of petroleum jelly and mineral oil). I prefer the brand name GenTeal. I actually have damaged corneas from the severity of my dry eye.

Every so often one or the other eye gets really inflamed and nothing seems to help. Pinkeye is not the only eye infection one can get, and when mine gets that bad, I've had to get antibiotic eye drops from my doctor.

I hope this helps.
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#3 she-ra

she-ra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

I have used Systane Ultra drops, suggested by my neuro. If my Sinemet is working properly, I do pretty good without it.

Sheila ^_^

Current age= 61

Symptom Onset- 2009 (56)

Current meds:Sinemet 3X/day (25/100) 

#4 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Great advice from Dianne and Sheila.
Reduced rate of blinking and tear film abnormalities are common in Parkinson's disease and may result in dry eyes and/or conjunctivitis. Artificial tears and other eye lubricant products may be helpful in reducing discomfort and preventing secondary eye inflammation (conjunctivitis or keratitis).
useful information on this issue can be found here: http://www.pdf.org/en/vision_parkinson

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

#5 Kristakj78

Kristakj78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

I have dry eye too, mainly due to the way I blink. I was actually at the eye Dr. yesterday, and they gave me a different contact lense (Air Optics). I love them! They also told me to use an over the counter eye drop lubricant called Systane.

#6 sarahjo

sarahjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

thanks ladies, I have also been having this issue but didn't put two and two together, will try the drops. are the scrips, or over counter?

#7 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

I use gel drops (Genteal) during the day. At night I use GenTeal nighttime eye ointment. I have corneal damage due to so many years of slow blink rate.
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#8 OneWingedVictory

OneWingedVictory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:55 AM

Ugh. Just another thing to thank PD for giving us.

I have noticed my vision really detriorating over the past few years. My optometrist has been surprised as well. He didn't realize, until I mentioned it, that this could be PD related. Thanks for the link and other information, Christie. I will share it with my optometrist.

I'm beginning to feel like a celebrity with this ever growing team of healthcare professionals I see on a regular basis....

The One Winged Victory of Samothrace is a metaphor for our struggles, despite the odds, to keep steady and accept grace in the face of punishing adversity.

#9 patdel

patdel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

my husband was diagnosed with pd about a year and a half ago.  in the past six months or so he has been suffering with what the dr. says is dry eye.  as soon as he is  outside his eyes begin itching and burning.  he uses drops but nothing seems to help. he also wears heavy duty sunglasses.  this makes it very unsafe for him to drive.  right now he is retired but still works one to two days a week. thank god he only has to go about 4 miles.  i drive any time we go out of the area.  he also has a hard time turning his head to look both ways.  anyone have any suggestions? i would like to find people with the same symptons as my husband.  i am also in the dark as to what to expect and how soon.  right now only his legs have tremors and it isn't too bad.  although when he is more stressed it is worse. i know i've gotten off of the subject, but i really don't have anyone else to talk to. would appreciate any feedback. thanks

#10 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

I had severe dry eye many years before I was finally diagnosed. It was caused by slowed blink rate. LASIK in 2001 made it worse. I use gel drops during the day, every hour, and a nighttime eye ointment of petroleum jelly and mineral oil (there are several OTC brands, but my insurance pays for an off brand. Store brands tend to be too thin. The consistency needs to be more like Vaseline than mineral oil. I have also had my tear ducts plugged on the bottom. Vision is starting to reduce again, so I'm going to an ophthalmologist soon.

Dianne

#11 AnthonyB

AnthonyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

You can also get dry eye problems from lack of sleep with PD, i can second Systane Ultra for over the counter med.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users