3 replies to this topic

#1 CarlaL48

CarlaL48

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Hi,

My 69-year-old husband was diagnosed with PD this past November. After learning more about the symptoms, we believe he's had it for a year or two prior. He's had several falls (The ER knows us). He shuffles when he walks, he drools, and his voice which never carried particularly when he was at his peak is even fainter, with occasional stuttering.

Immediately, the neurologist prescribed levidopa/carbidopa, which seemed to help somewhat with hubby's balance. Next, the doctor prescribed Requip and my husband became an instant zombie, dizzy, light-headed, no appetite, and drove off the road a couple of times. After that, the doctor had him try Mirapex. Again, dizziness to the degree that hubby fainted walking down our hallway. As far as we're concerned the agonists are not worth the misery of more trials. So no more.

What my husband is most interested in now is some relief from the bone-weary tiredness and anxiety. We've mentioned this concern before to his doctor, but we always left with prescriptions for agonists. My husband used to be so vital and capable of tackling most jobs around the house or yard, but now, when he gets home from work (yes, he still works full-time in an office) he's completely spent. In fact, it's difficult to harness the energy to even go to work.

What might you suggest?

Thanks so very much.

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

First, I agree that agonists are not for everyone. When one causes side effects...usually they are not improved by switching to another.

The first thing I do is review all meds and look for ones that can cause tiredness.

Next, I usually get a sleep study and I am often surprised that sleep issues are at the core of the daytime issues.

Finally, I look to be sure I am not either under or overmedicated on the sinemet.

Finally, I would suggest a possible second opinion as pure PD rarely starts with walking problems.

Hope that helps.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 CarlaL48

CarlaL48

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Indeed, your advice is very helpful, Doctor. I believe we'll start with a second opinion, then proceed from there.

Thank you and God bless you.

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Good luck.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users