#1 teacher0707

teacher0707

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Every time I go through the scanners at the airport (the new chemical ones) I set them off and always have to get patted down. I was wondering if that happens to anyone else? I wasn't sure if it was because of all the meds I am on that set them off.

#2 bajansunbabe

bajansunbabe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBarbados / Duncan, BC Canada

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Interesting.....I too get patted down! Pain in the butt......I even make sure I have no jewelry on, take the belt off if I am wearing one etc.

#3 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

When will you return to northern climes? I have an important question for you.
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#4 jb49

jb49

jb49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:24 AM

I am bionic, sorta. I have had hip replacements and as I approach the scanners I always tell them that my titanium hip joints are going to set off the alarms. With bored looks and impatient gestures they push me through the gate like a cow in a stockyard and guess what? yep!! Bells ring like a breakout at Alcatraz. And then they get all excited and call for backup and a SWAT members descend from the rafters like monkeys on vines to search and pat me down like I got a sawed off shotgun and I'm going to hijack the friggen plane to Bora Bora with all my Parky Pals....hey, would you guys like to...
Don't be hard on yourself, try your best and be strong!

#5 KimAgain

KimAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

I am loathe to admit to cowardice of this magnitude, but since I have had my DBS, I have not flown--for fear of the whole swat team, explaining probes in my head, wires down my neck, a battery in my chest thing. :ph34r: This is very inconvenient--my family all live in England and it's about time I visited home. :shock:

Dx 1994, age 45.  DBS surgery, 2009:  Bi-lateral; wires to one battery - on my left side.  300mg Sinemet CR daily.

#6 OneWingedVictory

OneWingedVictory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

I travel regularly and fairly frequently for work. I almost never get pat down and I have not walked through the body scan. I simply wait my turn and when I get to the front of the line I tell them that I have Parkinson's and cannot keep my arms still long enough to use the machine. Then I get waived through. Often the TSA agents are very sympathetic. I am tremor dominant and it probably helps that I can "turn on" my tremor when it is expedient to do so.

It is always nice to find something that Parkinson's is good for!
The One Winged Victory of Samothrace is a metaphor for our struggles, despite the odds, to keep steady and accept grace in the face of punishing adversity.

#7 Sean

Sean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNE US

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

I travel regularly and fairly frequently for work. I almost never get pat down and I have not walked through the body scan. I simply wait my turn and when I get to the front of the line I tell them that I have Parkinson's and cannot keep my arms still long enough to use the machine. Then I get waived through. Often the TSA agents are very sympathetic. I am tremor dominant and it probably helps that I can "turn on" my tremor when it is expedient to do so.

It is always nice to find something that Parkinson's is good for!

I, too, travel on a regular basis for work and will try this the next time I'm traveling. Such a great tip! Thanks!
Take care,
Sean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users