#1 teacher0707

teacher0707

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Every time I go through the scanners at the airport (the new chemical ones) I set them off and always have to get patted down. I was wondering if that happens to anyone else? I wasn't sure if it was because of all the meds I am on that set them off.

#2 bajansunbabe

bajansunbabe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBarbados / Duncan, BC Canada

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Interesting.....I too get patted down! Pain in the butt......I even make sure I have no jewelry on, take the belt off if I am wearing one etc.

#3 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Dianne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

When will you return to northern climes? I have an important question for you.

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#4 jb49

jb49

jb49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:24 AM

I am bionic, sorta. I have had hip replacements and as I approach the scanners I always tell them that my titanium hip joints are going to set off the alarms. With bored looks and impatient gestures they push me through the gate like a cow in a stockyard and guess what? yep!! Bells ring like a breakout at Alcatraz. And then they get all excited and call for backup and a SWAT members descend from the rafters like monkeys on vines to search and pat me down like I got a sawed off shotgun and I'm going to hijack the friggen plane to Bora Bora with all my Parky Pals....hey, would you guys like to...
  • Golden01, Vanillab1027, Island Woman and 1 other like this
Don't be hard on yourself, try your best and be strong!

#5 KimAgain

KimAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

I am loathe to admit to cowardice of this magnitude, but since I have had my DBS, I have not flown--for fear of the whole swat team, explaining probes in my head, wires down my neck, a battery in my chest thing. :ph34r: This is very inconvenient--my family all live in England and it's about time I visited home. :shock:

Dx 2004, age 45.  DBS surgery, July 2009:  Bi-lateral STN placement; wires to one battery - on my left side. Battery sustained for right at 8 years and a new one was implanted October 27th, 2016.   Zero Sinemet CR daily (this took six and a half years to accomplish). 100mg Amantadine 3 x daily.  60mg Cymbalta daily.  SPS: Right. I invite communication with anyone who wishes to discuss DBS, PD, or any related topic; my email address is:  wyndsong@charter.net - email me if you'd like my phone number.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." --Plato

#6 OneWingedVictory

OneWingedVictory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

I travel regularly and fairly frequently for work. I almost never get pat down and I have not walked through the body scan. I simply wait my turn and when I get to the front of the line I tell them that I have Parkinson's and cannot keep my arms still long enough to use the machine. Then I get waived through. Often the TSA agents are very sympathetic. I am tremor dominant and it probably helps that I can "turn on" my tremor when it is expedient to do so.

It is always nice to find something that Parkinson's is good for!
  • Vanillab1027 likes this
The One Winged Victory of Samothrace is a metaphor for our struggles, despite the odds, to keep steady and accept grace in the face of punishing adversity.

#7 Sean

Sean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNE US

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

I travel regularly and fairly frequently for work. I almost never get pat down and I have not walked through the body scan. I simply wait my turn and when I get to the front of the line I tell them that I have Parkinson's and cannot keep my arms still long enough to use the machine. Then I get waived through. Often the TSA agents are very sympathetic. I am tremor dominant and it probably helps that I can "turn on" my tremor when it is expedient to do so.

It is always nice to find something that Parkinson's is good for!

I, too, travel on a regular basis for work and will try this the next time I'm traveling. Such a great tip! Thanks!
Take care,
Sean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users