New Treatments Emerging for Parkinson's Disease

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

New Treatments Emerging for Parkinson's Disease

Carol Pearson
February 21, 2013

As people around the world live longer, maladies of old age are becoming more common. And that has doctors searching for ways to treat or prevent diseases like Parkinson's...a degenerative brain condition that usually develops after age 50, and that's known for its disabling physical tremors. Medications today can treat the symptoms of Parkinson's, but researchers are hopeful that soon, there will be a way to halt its devastating advance.

Sarah Taylor knew something was very wrong, but she never dreamed she had Parkinson's disease. "It was a shock. But it was a relief when I found out what was wrong with me, though," she recalled.

Five years ago, when Taylor came to Medstar Washington Hospital Center for treatment, she could hardly move. "When I first came here, it was awful. It was terrible. I couldn't stand up. I couldn't get up out of the chair. I was struggling," she stated.

Now she has only mild symptoms. She credits her improvement to following Dr. Mark Lin's advice -- from daily exercise to taking medications on a precise schedule.

Parkinson's disease develops when cells that make dopamine, a brain chemical that controls muscle movement, mysteriously die off. Scientists believe genetics could play a role in a small number of Parkinson's cases. A new U.N. study says man-made chemicals in everyday products are to blame. Other researchers say exposure to toxic chemical pesticides could trigger the disease.

Whatever its cause, the best way to control Parkinson's is to treat it as soon as a diagnosis is made -- usually after the onset of tremors and walking difficulties. But that can be too late, according to Dr. Hubert Fernandez at the Cleveland Clinic.

"By this time, though, a considerable amount of degeneration has already occurred in the brain," Fernandez explained. "Ideally, we would like to have a test that is specific for Parkinson's disease. And, ideally, we would like to have that test become positive even before we see the shaking."

There's currently no such test for Parkinson's, but at Northwestern University, researchers think they might have found a way to slow its progression.

"We looked at the cells in the brain that were most vulnerable to the disease. What we saw was they allowed lots and lots of calcium into their cell bodies," said Jim Surmeier, Physiologist who spoke to VOA by Skype.

The calcium eventually killed dopamine-producing cells and triggered Parkinson's symptoms. But the Northwestern University scientists found a drug that limits the brain cells' uptake of calcium, without harmful side effects. In a Skype interview, co-researcher Tanya Simuni told VOA another clinical trial is being planned. "The primary question to be answered in this study is whether the drug is effective in slowing the progression of Parkinson's disease disability," she said.

Current drugs used to control the tremors and walking difficulties work well for about five to ten years. If scientists could develop a new therapy that could double or triple that time, it would enable Sarah Taylor and the ten million other people living with Parkinson's disease around the world to lead much more normal lives.

http://www.voanews.c...se/1607833.html
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

#2 Drummergirl

Drummergirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationWhite River Jct. Vermont

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

Hi Kathrynne,

Thanks again for sharing these interesting studies and other helpful information.

Should PD patients not take calcium vitamins? I currently do not, but have been thinking I should be.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Karen

#3 Beachdog

Beachdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationCape Cod Massachusetts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

She hit the nail on the head... "The primary question to be answered in this study is whether the drug is effective in slowing the progression of Parkinson's disease disability,"

#4 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Karen, the calcium of concern in this study is not affected by intake of dietary or supplemental calcium. Calcium has many tasks in the body, among them operating in tiny amounts inside cells. In this case a cell pathway goes astray and allows too much calcium inside. But the problem is not due to eating too much calcium, it's due to a deranged pathway.

We still need calcium for muscle movement, bone strength, and many other purposes. If you're an adult female getting 1000 mg calcium daily in dairy, dark green leafy vegetables, fortified orange juice and other fortified foods, you're getting enough to protect your health. If not, then supplements are a good idea, and calcium citrate is well absorbed without being constipating; and does not need to be taken with food. (Women over age 50 are advised to up their calcium to 1200 mg/day.)

Folks with PD are at greater risk for falls, and thus for fractures; I advise adequate intake of calcium, magnesium, vitamin K, and vitamin D for bone strength.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#5 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Agreed, Beachdog. However, Dr. Simuni is a top-notch researcher, and the study could not be in better hands. Keeping all my fingers crossed.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users