18 replies to this topic

#1 woodbee

woodbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

Quinoa, Corn,Black Beans and Lima Beans with Cilantro a great filling for tortillas

This is not my recipe. I know not who to credit .Some other lovely person came up with it but I added the lima beans.
It's a fast recipe.

Rinse 3/4 cup quinoa and simmer it in 1 and 1/2 cup of vegetable broth or water for 15-20 minutes or till all liquid is absorbed. set aside.

Chop one large onion and 3 cloves of garlic and in a large skillet or large pan saute onions and garlic in 1 T olive oil til onions are cooked 3-5 minutes.

measure 1 cup frozen corn and 1/2 cup frozen lima beans and stir in to the onions. Drain 2 cans black beans and add them to the skillet mix

Add 1 tsp. ground cumin and 1/8-1/4 tsp cayeene pepper and 1/2 tsp salt

Cook/stir mix till all ingredients are hot through.

add 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro right before serving

Makes enough filling for approx 8 large tortillas. optional toppings: salsa, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, meat, avocado, shredded lettuce
hmmmm, perfecto ENJOY

****seasonings can be adjusted to suit your taste

Edited by woodbee, 26 February 2013 - 01:12 AM.

#2 jb49

jb49

jb49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

Hi Eileen, a recipe thread. Good idea. I don't recognize some of the ingredients but if you say its good, it must be good.

jb
Don't be hard on yourself, try your best and be strong!

#3 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Southern Style Cobbler

courtesy of Granny Cothrane, my daughter-in-law's grandmother, may she rest in peace

One quart sliced, canned peaches in light syrup.
1 C flour
1 C sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 C milk
1/2 C (one stick) butter

Preheat oven to 350.

In a 2 quart shallow casserole or a 13" x 9" pan, melt butter. Meanwhile, stir together flour, sugar and cinnamon. Add milk and stir until well blended. Pour the batter over the melted butter. Top with peach slices and juice, spreading evenly over the surface. DO NOT STIR.

Top with desired amount of cinnamon/sugar mixture.

Bake 45-55 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm, with vanilla ice cream if desired.

***This recipe can be adapted to any fruit. If using fresh or frozen berries, or sliced apples, add one cup sugar to fruit and let sit overnight in the refrigerator to create juices.
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#4 DANCER

DANCER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER RECIPE

2 Bags Whole Corn1 can creamed corn
1 box or bag frozen lima beans
3 TBSP flour
2 cups cooked diced chicken
2 cans chicken broth (I usually boil/steam the chicken above in 4 cups water
and use that instead of canned broth)
1 small onion diced
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1/4 lb butter
up to 1 TBSP sugar (as needed based on sweetness of corn)
Salt and Pepper

Saute onions in butter until onions are translucent then sprinkle flour over
onions and stir into a roux.
Add chicken broth, corn, lima beans and tomatoes, mix well and bring to a
boil and then turn down to simmer.
Add Chicken, salt & pepper to taste.
Add Sugar as needed. Garnish with Corn strips.

Edited by DANCER, 26 February 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#5 carruthers209

carruthers209

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationStockton, CA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

Way to go! I love it and what a nice way to share our "favorite things." I predict great success and good things for this thread. Keep it up.

#6 carruthers209

carruthers209

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationStockton, CA

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

Gee-what happened to such a good idea? I guess I should share a recipe. I love the idea of improving one's health through the simple process of changing out healthy foods for less healthy foods. (I'm kind of lazy and exercise just isn't high on my "must do" list). Every night I try to make a healthy salad and a healthy vegetable to serve with our meals. My salad has to be tasty otherwise my husband won't eat it. I use very green salad leaves-not ice berg-, chopped up spinach (very high in practically everything healthy it seems), chopped up green onions (supposedly very high in antioxidants and very tasty), chopped up cilantro (high in great taste), and added walnuts (high in anti-cancer, etc) and craisins (dried cranberries-yummy) , small mandarin oranges, with sprinklings of feta goat cheese or blue cheese (my husband won't eat salad dressing). This salad has stood the test of time and we eat variations of it every night. My husband's mother said-"well, I never" when I served it at her house because he never ate salad all his life-he hated salad. I know he's getting really high quality nutrients along with all that fiber and he loves the salad.

So, if anyone out there has great vegetable recipes-another thing my husband hates-please share because I cook a side dish of veggies every night and I need some ideas for great spices-condiments to put on my broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Have you switched out your oils for olive oil only? I found it works well for practically everything-I don't deep fat fry-and it seems to have stood the scrutiny of health reports.

Edited by carruthers209, 14 July 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#7 chelle

chelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationDeep South Louisiana

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

Gee-what happened to such a good idea? I guess I should share a recipe. I love the idea of improving one's health through the simple process of changing out healthy foods for less healthy foods. (I'm kind of lazy and exercise just isn't high on my "must do" list). Every night I try to make a healthy salad and a healthy vegetable to serve with our meals. My salad has to be tasty otherwise my husband won't eat it. I use very green salad leaves-not ice berg-, chopped up spinach (very high in practically everything healthy it seems), chopped up green onions (supposedly very high in antioxidants and very tasty), chopped up cilantro (high in great taste), and added walnuts (high in anti-cancer, etc) and craisins (dried cranberries-yummy) , small mandarin oranges, with sprinklings of feta goat cheese or blue cheese (my husband won't eat salad dressing). This salad has stood the test of time and we eat variations of it every night. My husband's mother said-"well, I never" when I served it at her house because he never ate salad all his life-he hated salad. I know he's getting really high quality nutrients along with all that fiber and he loves the salad.

So, if anyone out there has great vegetable recipes-another thing my husband hates-please share because I cook a side dish of veggies every night and I need some ideas for great spices-condiments to put on my broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Have you switched out your oils for olive oil only? I found it works well for practically everything-I don't deep fat fry-and it seems to have stood the scrutiny of health reports.

This is a great idea. I haven't really cooked healthy in about two months but my whole family loves zucchini and squash cut up drizzle with olive oil salt and pepper and we have cooked it on the pit but in the oven is fantastic as well. Now if anyone wants some cajun recipes I can share those.

#8 woodbee

woodbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

For any of you who love beets or have them in your garden and have too many try this:
or for anyone who wants a filling but meatless burger:

BEET BURGERS- may sound strange but is really quite good

1 and 1/4 cup cooked, cooled brown rice
1 cup cooked, brown or green lentils cooled, drained well
1 cup of peeled, raw, shredded beets
1/2 tsp salt
fresh black pepper
1 tsp thyme, rubbed between your fingers
1/2 tsp ground fennnel or finely crushed fennel seed
1 tsp. dry mustard
3 Tbl. very fine chopped onion
2 minced cloves of garlic
2 Tbl. smooth almond butter Or peanut butter
1/2 cup very fine breadcrumbs , plus more if using crumbs to dip patties in before frying

1. cook the rice and lentils, let cool
2. peel and shred the beets. Can shred by hand or use a food processer
3. If using a food processor, pulse the brown rice, beets, and lentils until the mix comes together and looks like ground beef. ( I use a pastry fork (tool instead)
4. Transfer mixture to a med bowl and add all the remaining ingredients, using your hands or pastry tool to mix the ingredients well.
5. chill mix 30 min or more. or 15 min in the freezer
6. pre-heat pan to med-high. (this recipe will make 4 large burgers) using a greased 1/2 cup measuring cup , heap the mix into the cup each of 4 times. shape it into a patty, dip in panko crumbs or cracker crumbs*optional and fry in canola oil on a teflon grill or pan about 6 min each side. Serve on a bun with mayo, lettuce and tomatoe slice. Very filling. Enjoy

some of you may have a food processor or blender to use if you want to. I hate all the clean up so I just use a pastry fork tool.

Edited by woodbee, 16 July 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#9 Brad24

Brad24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:00 AM

Chelle, please share. I love Cajun food ( was in the military). Please post something with shrimp! I will think up one of my venison recipes.

Thanks and great topic Woodbe.

Edited by Brad24, 17 July 2013 - 06:53 PM.

DETERMINATION "In the heart of the strong shines a relentless ray of resolve...It cannot be stopped, it cannot be controlled, and it will not fail."

#10 chelle

chelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

Will do I'm not home right now so ill post later..... we have our deer made into cubed steak. We stuff with cream cheese, jalapenos, then wrap in bacon.... its amazing

#11 chelle

chelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

Shrimp and Sausage Jambalaya

INGREDIENTS:

* 1-lb Smoked Sausage (we use Cajun Smoked Sausage) cut into 1/4 in slices
* 1-lb Shrimp
* 1 Yellow Onion
* 1/2 cup celery
* 1/2 cup green onions
* 1 cup green bell pepper
* 4 bay leaves
* 2 cups tomatoes (peeled, seeded, and chopped * canned or fresh)
* 1 tbsp Garlic
* 2 Tbsp Veg Oil
* 2 cups long grain rice
* 5 cups chicken broth
* 1 tbsp salt
* 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper

This is the hard part for me cause we usually just do it as we go so...Fry down sausage...add veg oil, onions, bell pepper cook till soft... then add everything else (lol) till rice is tender. Don't over stir cause it will make rice mushy and don't over cook. It should still be a little juicy cause the juice will soak up as it cools. I know this is not very explanatory but we never follow directions or ingredients over here we just throw in what we see fit but this is everything we use. this usually makes a pretty big pot.

My husband makes a bad ass shrimp stew but ill have to wait till he is home to put the recipe.

PS If you make stew or gumbo or pretty much anything with a roux if you add eggs just crack and straight into the pot raw they will cook with food and be OMG amazing. Probably sounds gross but you gotta try it. Hope everyone has a blessed day.

#12 Donald Ennis

Donald Ennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

Ummm.... Jambalaya, 'est tre bon

#13 carruthers209

carruthers209

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationStockton, CA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:35 PM

We'll be right over-what time is dinner!?

#14 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

Sheryl’s KALE SALAD:
This recipe came from a friend who is a Registered Dietitian. Make a day before and refrigerate to let flavors mingle overnight. It gets better with time and keeps well.

Dressing:
1/2 cup mayo
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon grated ginger

Chop:
2 large bunches of kale (remove rib/stem) curly & Dino, red, etc.
1/2 cup walnuts or pine nuts
3 carrots
1 small head red cabbage
1/2 cup dried cranberries

1. Mix dressing and let sit.
2. Mix with greens and other ingredients.

Serves 8-10 people.

Husband diagnosed in 2005-Medicines: Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine; Sister and Best Friend from Childhood also have PD

#15 LoveMyHubby

LoveMyHubby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

I'm not big on recipes that have a lot of ingredients (HAHA) which is why I LOVE my crock pot, plus it's less involved. I can't stand in one place for long, it hurts my back. ANYWAYS, one thing I make using my slow cooker is BBQ chicken. Just toss in frozen chicken and your favorite BBQ sauce leave on low 6-8 hours or on high 4-5 hours. Our oldest isn't a huge fan of BBQ, I think b/c I make it so often but the rest of the family enjoys it. You can also do the same but instead of the BBQ add your favorite creamy soup, like cream of chicken and you can even add a whole or half pack of dry ranch mix. Serve over rice if you like and veggies. Yum. Pinterest is a GREAT source for finding recipes.

OH, and then there's an AWESOME lasagna recipe I recently found and my DH LOVES it. Here's the link, which I hope is allowed, otherwise I'll type it out, lol.

The Best Lasagna. Ever by The Pioneer Woman
http://thepioneerwom...he_best_lasagn/
And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away. -Revelation 21:4

#16 KimAgain

KimAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

Eileen,
Do you grow your own cilantro, I wonder? I have tried and tried and tried, but mine always dies on me! Parsley, tomatoes, basil, cukes, you name it--except cilantro--and I'm fine... what am I doing wrong??
Kim

Dx 1994, age 45.  DBS surgery, 2009:  Bi-lateral; wires to one battery - on my left side.  500mg Sinemet CR daily.

#17 woodbee

woodbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:03 AM

Kim I wish I could help you but, no, I don't grow my own cilantro. However I did try once a few years back and it seemed to be a very fragile plant if I remember right. But there must be some tricks we are misssing out on otherwise we would not see such nice organic bunches in the store.LOL /good luck

Edited by woodbee, 20 July 2013 - 02:03 AM.

#18 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:42 AM

Egg

Get a pan
put water in it
ad salt
heat water
add egg (in shell or out)
boil water
wait a while
take out egg
EnJoy !
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#19 carruthers209

carruthers209

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationStockton, CA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Are you adding mushrooms to your salads-and everything else? Mushrooms are considered a "superfood" and full of great nutrient benefits. It doesn't take much, just a few mushrooms a day. Dr. Oz highlighted mushrooms on one of his shows stating that they are full of trytophan which is a precursor to dopamine. How good is that?! And you can use them raw or cooked. It looks like shiitake mushrooms are at the top of the mushroom scale for beneficial claims but even button mushrooms are beneficial. Trytophan is noted for relaxing you and helping you sleep. I would fry up some mushrooms when I was especially stressed at work and it seemed to help me. I felt better in a couple of days which intrigued me. In Thailand a street vendor cooked up a meal with extra mushrooms for my pregnant daughter-told her they were good for her; that was thoughtful. I try to serve mushrooms daily in our dinner salad and use them in vegetable and meat dishes-they add a lot of taste and flavor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users