#1 johnnys

johnnys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Locationnys

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

The other day my wife told me she observed me not breathing for awhile than I woke up with a gasp.I dont remember any of it.Anyways I thought Id ask for feedback on sleep apnea.Their is a condition called central sleep apnea where the brain fails to keep the breathing going.parkinson is listed as one of the possible causes.It doesn't alarm me but Im going to see my doc.friday about it.

#2 williamg

williamg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationTrapped in a body of Chaos and Confusion

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

My wife sleeps all night so she has never told me that I don't breath. However I do have an issue with not breathing at random times. I have been told to breath by my wife and by doctors while at a checkup. It seems that I hold my breath a lot for no reason and I don't realize that I am doing it. I have been thinking about doing a sleep study to figure out what wakes me up at midnight.

Let us know how your doctor visit goes............
I'm not crazy, I'm just special!! ..No, wait..... Maybe I am Crazy. One second...... I have to talk to myself about this... Hold on......................

#3 johnnys

johnnys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Locationnys

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

I see her tomorrow,but if they do a study it will be awhile ,the VA is going to do it,are any of you vietnam vets?

#4 Gaby

Gaby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

My husband has parkinson and when he has same problem. He does not use the nose to breath while he is sleeping. Inmediately he strarts to sleep, he breath by the mouth opened. But I observed that it happens only when he sleeps in right position. If he sleep by side (looking to the left), he does not do that.

#5 Drummergirl

Drummergirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationWhite River Jct. Vermont

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Interesting, as I have told my husband and Neuro that sometimes when I wake, I feel like I haven't been breathing and that I have to make myself breath.....then I'm almost too scared to go back to sleep. And my right arm or sometimes both arms are almost numb for a while. Until I put them above my head.
My Neuro wasn't convienced that it could be from PD......

Anyways, also a mystery.
Karen

#6 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Sleep apnea may be central or obstructive. Obstructive sleep apnea is relatively common and associated with several other conditions including heart problems and obesity. Central apnea may be caused by neurodegenerative diseases such as PD.

I seem to have sleep apnea too.( I'm 37 years old by the way....) I wake up with a gasp (exactly as johnys described it) and tachycardia. it's scary. my neurologist is not certain it's caused by my PD, and suggested a sleep study.

Note: anyone else with sleep apnea AND gastroesophageal reflux and/or indigestion problems? (i have symptoms of gastroparesis and GERD-gastroesophageal reflux disease). Gastroesophageal reflux during sleep may cause laryngospasm and sleep apnea.
English is not my first language !

#7 williamg

williamg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

I have acid reflux or whatever you want to call it real bad. I cannot lay on my right side or the burn is terrible. I can not say how many times I have woken up choking on vomit. Sorry, it is a gross subject. I do take prescribed antacid daily. The first thing I notice when I wake up is that I am very uncomfortable, sore and my hands are asleep (numb).
I'm not crazy, I'm just special!! ..No, wait..... Maybe I am Crazy. One second...... I have to talk to myself about this... Hold on......................

#8 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

Have you tried elevating yourself with an extra pillow and not lying flat? Certain foods are off limits, too. I have reflux and take prescription strength Prevacid in the morning and prescription strength Zantac at night. Reflux does have an impact on your breathing, so it's important to have it treated.

Ever wonder why we have all this other crap to deal with in addition to PD? Every time someone says to mr "God won't give you more than you can handle," I tell them that he can move onto someone else now, I have my full share.

#9 woodbee

woodbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

I'm so sorry folks....I got this post in the wrong place. I had intended it for the good morning post on the young forum. My apologies. This is such a PD thing to do..real typical of me lately. Ha

Good morning all

Sunny day here. I don't know what to write so will just go with what's on my mind

Elephants are dying in Africa today for the ivory trade, hospital administrators are earning millions, Syrians have been dying for their freedom for 2 plus years now, Polio is close to being erradicated,(just 3 countries remain), women continue to be brutalized all the world over, children are being sold into sex trade/rings, gun control is yet to be resolved, the ocean is warming up, people are responsible for earthquakes in the midwest and east, due to fracking activities, Catholics are giving up Catholicism for lent, (just joking- I borrowed that one from the newspaper this morning) what more can I say? It is overwhelming at times but I must remember that I can most do some good in how I choose to interact with others today.

What I CAN do is make life a bit nicer for someone else, stay informed, be careful what I buy or spend money on ( there by indirectly or directly supporting good or not so good causes) and try to understanding that money being the blood of the economy, drives many of the worst things/ behaviors happening in the world. Be careful how you spend it. and in all other ways have a good day, remembering that
good things are still happening too...fill in the blank....what are you thankful for? Today I am thankful I have a roof over my head, good family, and I can still manage to do many things I enjoy. In the whole scheme of things I think I can still manage that. oh..and take care of myself by doing x y and z but mostly x-ercise

Ps...beautiful snow Jb
Have a beautiful day I hope you will,
e

Edited by woodbee, 02 March 2013 - 12:39 AM.

#10 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Every time someone says to mr "God won't give you more than you can handle," I tell them that he can move onto someone else now, I have my full share.

Good one.
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#11 Drummergirl

Drummergirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

Really, the line " God won't give you more than you can handle" is crap....

..I do wake up thankful everday for all that I have had, have and hope to have. It is dfficult some mornings to wake up and feel thankful when you have been up most of the night, because your too scared to go back to sleep, for fear and discomfort of not breathing.
And all the little things that go along with PD.

Then you read or see in the news those that are self inflicting drugs in their bodies to make them have or do strange things.
You wonder, why can' they be the ones ones with PD. Not me, I always appreciated more body and health and at 35, the prime of my life was suddenly taken over by uncontrolled movements and medications that can do even more harm......
Grr, as youo can tell, I had one of those nights. I know I need to have a slep study, I just don't want to hav one more thing controling my body.....

Karen

#12 williamg

williamg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

Have you tried elevating yourself with an extra pillow and not lying flat? Certain foods are off limits, too. I have reflux and take prescription strength Prevacid in the morning and prescription strength Zantac at night. Reflux does have an impact on your breathing, so it's important to have it treated.

Ever wonder why we have all this other crap to deal with in addition to PD? Every time someone says to mr "God won't give you more than you can handle," I tell them that he can move onto someone else now, I have my full share.

I have used 3 pillows. 2 pillows, 1 pillow and 0 pillows. It makes no difference. If I lay on my left side I am fine but if I roll over to my right side I instantly have reflux up to my mouth... I don't remember what the ant-acid is that they prescribed me but if I don't take it I cannot lay down at all.

#13 johnnys

johnnys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Locationnys

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

I went to see my doctor at the VA .Ill have to wait till later this week to see if the doc in Buffalo approves the test.Till then I realy dont worry to much because my doctor says there was little risk of this but lost sleep. She did say it might elevate your blood presure as a result of sleep apnea.Mine has been higher than normal140/85 for some time now even though Im in good shape..I did a hour today on the skier and felt better later,less stiffness.

#14 johnnys

johnnys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Locationnys

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

the worst case would be to wear a breathing device .There is a adaptive service ventilator that monitors your breathing and only comes on when you need it .It later goes off after your breathing becomes normal again.So it's not on all night or anywhere intrusive as the ones that run all the time.I do think that mine is central but will wait till I get it checked.

#15 prd

prd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Hi All,

(My first post on this newly released site)

I had symptoms of sleep apnea (apnoea) - my wife counted them for a while - and so did the local hospital when I went in overnight for "sleep interruption" monitoring.

Apparently I was having between 20 and 25 apnea per night; their duration was between 15 and 90 seconds each. The worst case was when I was asleep laying on my back as my windpipe was mainly closed and thus I snored heavily. When I awoke I felt breathless, so I had to draw sharp deep breaths for a minute or so.

When I slept on my side the snoring was less but the apnea pattern continued. I saw my Doctor regarding this and was given an appointment at the hospital.

To my delight no surgery was diagnosed. Instead I was given a CPAP machine for home use. Basically this is a compressor, pump, hose and mask all condensed into a machine which packs into the size of a very small holdall. When out the bag it sits nicely on my bedside cabinet.

When it detects low or no airflow, it (simply ?) pumps air into the lungs at a rate which is changeable to suit the person it's servicing.

I have been using the CPAP for some months now and the apnea have reduced to an average of below 6 per night !

The machine is made by Philips (Respironics) BV

If anyone wants any more informationabout it, you know how to find me !

#16 johnnys

johnnys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Locationnys

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

I got the results of my sleep study today.It says i have moderate sleep apnea with about 25% of clear apnea events.Thats when your brain fails to monitor breathing. The good news is it won't kill me .Im going for a followup apponitment next week to sleep with a modified cpac.Il let you all know how things work out.Till then I go to bed later and get up early.Seems to help for now.
Hope all is well with all of you.

#17 RNwithPD

RNwithPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

Drummer Girl,

I have been having the same problems with my arms going numb at night. Maybe we're just sleeping in a bad position, though it seems to happen even when I'm on my back (I.e. not lying on an arm).

Kevin

#18 Drummergirl

Drummergirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

I thought that as well, but it doesn't seem to matter what position I sleep in. I can tell tonight will be one of those nights....
God luck....

#19 johnnys

johnnys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Locationnys

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

I saw this tonight about sleep apnea relating to parkinson.
Home > Diseases and Conditions > Central sleep apnea,pubmed health.
it explains numbness and weaknessI have all three .
The devices listed seem to help alot.

#20 sarahjo

sarahjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

hey all, my name is sarahjo, and I am new to all this, being treated for pd for just about 2-1/2 months now and went for follow up this past week and dr. says that some of my exhaustion can be caused by sleep apnea, changed meds around and last two nights seem to be a great start, don't know how long this will last but sure have enjoyed waking up these past two mornings feeling rested. so ? is, Is the exhaustion due to sleep apnea, or just needed meds changed,. any ideas? (how do you know if you are not breathing when you are asleep? Lol) Oh by the way thanks for your post they really have helped in the past 2 months, (haven't written on here, been poking around trying to make sense of it all.) Looking forward to reading more post and hopefully being a blessing to someone else. Have a great day everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users