E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

Poem from a loved one...

Parkinsons Mask Parkinsons poem Parkinsons Caretakers of Parkinsons Parkinsons loved ones Parkinsons family

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 A.Legato

A.Legato

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

I've been watching my dad decline over the years and am so thankful his condition hasn't progressed as quickly as it could have. My mother takes the most amazing care of him, which has affected her health as well. My dad was a hands-on dad that I have so many wonderful memories with. I wanted to share a poem I wrote for him in watching his decline over the years. I expect many of you loved ones feel the same way.

Parkinson's Mask

Watching you grow older,

Grows more difficult each day.

Think back to childhood memories,

Now seem so far away.

Used to hold my bike steady,

Now hands constantly shake.

Used to have a sharp wit,

Now here and there, it will wake.

Used to fix what was broken,

Now mobility minute.

Used to have a strong voice,

Now almost as if on mute.

Used to push me on my swing,

Now I push you in your chair.

Used to make silly faces,

Now your face, a vacant stare.

Watching you grow older,

Grows more difficult each day.

Memories I’ll always cherish,

As this disease has its way.

© Andrea Legato

#2 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

Thank you for sharing your beautiful words.

Husband diagnosed in 2005-Medicines: Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine; Sister and Best Friend from Childhood also have PD

#3 A.Legato

A.Legato

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

You're welcome, Golden01. I'm glad you liked it.

#4 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

Wow... heart warming and scary.
Thank you.
I would personally change the last line to: "As the result of sin has its way."
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#5 A.Legato

A.Legato

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

Well, considering those who are affected by Parkinson's are not affected as a result of their sins and this poem was written about my father that, although not perfect, has always been a good and kind man, the last line I have fits perfectly and is as it should be. That is excluding the fact that your suggestion also has too many syllables (from a proper poetry writing aspect). Thank you for your input but the way it's written is the way it's meant to be said.

#6 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

I understand. As a person with YOPD At the age of 54, I found your post very powerful. Like your father I have a Daughter who may very well write a poem much like yours one day (She is an English teacher). The most powerful part of your poem which I found scary is that it describes what probably will happen to me. It feels like being on death row. This is where I become theological. I have been thinking a lot about sickness health disease and what life is supposed to be like without them... Before Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit. I will continue my thoughts on another thread.

Thank you for your poem.
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#7 hkewf

hkewf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Andrea-
I am glad that you stuck by the words you chose for your poem about your father. What Luthersfaith said about changing the last line to reflect PD as a result of sin really struck a chord with me and not in a good way. My husband was diagnosed with Parkinsonism and, I think, has always lived by the Golden Rule even though he is not a spiritual person - much less a religious one! The disease will have its way regardless of any notions or subscriptions to which we might believe. Thank you for the very touching poem. Not that it matters, because all of the words are of your own selection, but I think your poem shows that each word was chosen quite deliberately and with a great deal of thought. Thanks, again.

#8 Gardener

Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:37 AM

Luthersfaith - If you feel that God is somehow punishing us for our sins by giving us PD, how do you explain children with cancer and all the other horrible diseases that they must deal with - is God punishing them for sins they might one day commit? I realize that this is probably not the place to take up this discussion, but your response to Andrea and her feelings about her father really struck a nerve.

Gardener, female, 58, diagnosed at 55, 650 mg of Sinemet daily.

#9 A.Legato

A.Legato

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

This disease, or for that matter, any other including cancer (which my father has as well) is NOT a result of the sins humans commit. You are correct, children who have cancer are innocent babes that are a perfect example that it is not a result of sin, present or future. No one should have to experience this. And Luthersfaith, I can't even imagine how scary it is to picture yourself in the future with my poem. My heart goes out to you and I wish for you that you don't go through it. All of us on this forum have been affected in some way and have sadness or fear with what it brings. I did choose each word carefully, thinking of watching my father's decline as well as the wonderful times I have had with him. I wish it were different but so is life. I don't understand it but not all is meant to be understood. I truly wish for all of you that you find strength where you can and smiles in your heart.

Edited by A.Legato, 18 March 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#10 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Luthersfaith - If you feel that God is somehow punishing us for our sins by giving us PD, how do you explain children with cancer and all the other horrible diseases that they must deal with - is God punishing them for sins they might one day commit? I realize that this is probably not the place to take up this discussion, but your response to Andrea and her feelings about her father really struck a nerve.

Hi, I will answer your question in another thread in the near future.

My words 'I would personally change the last line to: "As the result of sin has its way."' were in no way directed at Andrea's feelings about her father. Sorry you or anyone else took them that way. Two things:

One is that I see all sickness as a result of one man's sin (Adam). Note I said 'sin' and not 'sins.'
Two is that we must define what is meant by the word 'sin.'

This current world is not what God intended - Genesis 1:31a "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good."

Edited by Luthersfaith, 18 March 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#11 LoveMyHubby

LoveMyHubby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Beautiful poem. I used to write poetry, DH did as well. It may become an outlet once again in the future.

I guess I was the only one who understood the suggestion for the word replacement. It's because Adam sinned that we are so imperfect and suffer bad health. But I do agree, you wrote it from your heart and so it was written as it should be. If or when I write a poem for my PWP I hope to muster up the courage to share it on here. :)
And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away. -Revelation 21:4

#12 A.Legato

A.Legato

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Thank you LMH for the compliment. No, you are not the only one that understood the suggestion....it's not that difficult to comprehend. It was out of line when it is written from my heart about my father. I shared it so others can identify and feel comfort in the fact that we are all going through these feelings. When someone shares their heart about something so personal, it is not in good taste to state how it 'should' be written. Especially when written about one's loved one and the person is already heartbroken. It is not a religious poem and if one wants to bring religion into it, then write and share your own. I have my own religious views, political views, even am a vegetarian but those are mine and mine alone. I don't push them on other people that they should think and write how I believe as what I believe may differ from what you do and that's perfectly fine.

#13 demoore321

demoore321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

Do you mind if I share this?  I will give you the credit.   I sit here wiping tears because this describes my father in every way. 

#14 A.Legato

A.Legato

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

Demoore321: I am so sorry I have not responded sooner. I did not receive a notification regarding your message. And I'm glad it touched you but so sorry it resonates what you're going through with your dad. My dad finally lost his battle a month ago. Although I am glad he is no longer suffering as Parkinson's wasn't his only ailment, I of course miss him. Please, do share my poem. And again...I'm sorry.

Edited by A.Legato, 22 July 2014 - 11:42 AM.

#15 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

So sorry for your loss. You are a wonderful daughter and your words will give voice to many of us over time. 

Husband diagnosed in 2005-Medicines: Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine; Sister and Best Friend from Childhood also have PD

#16 Annikin

Annikin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

The worst day of my life was the day I lost my dad. It felt like all the oxygen had been sucked out of the room and I felt the pain down into my soul. The only relief I felt was that he was no longer suffering. My heartfelt sympathies for your loss. I find myself grieving along with you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Parkinsons Mask, Parkinsons poem, Parkinsons, Caretakers of Parkinsons, Parkinsons loved ones, Parkinsons family

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users