E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

How many of you need assistance walking, like a walker or cane?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

I haven't but I think O'Kane might be helpful.

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#2 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

I am usually on a big-wheeled walker full time due to balance issues. Since I can't use my walker due to rotator cuff surgery, I am limited to walking indoors with a cane and outside with a cane and a gait belt. For rough terrain or long distances I am required to use a wheelchair. Knowing that I will eventually need it, my insurance has ordered an electric wheelchair for use so I can get out on my own, since I can no longer drive.
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#3 jb49

jb49

jb49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

I like using a walking stick Dianne and Luther .
1. for balance
2. I look intelligent leaning on it and thinking deep thoughts
3. Its a weapon against coyotes that want to bite my tasty flesh
4. When I sit I can whittle it with my pocket knife
5. It makes my non swinging right arm swing as it hits the ground.
6. I like banging the end of it onto the ground with a military like cadence
7. When I pick it up the dogs know we are going for a walk
8. I have many sticks. Some are old shovel handles, some are saplings cut from the woods or even old hockey sticks.
9. They are good for whacking things like fenceposts and tree trunks to accent my curses on bad days.
10. Sometimes they are light sabres as I battle aliens from outer space, swords as I turn back pirates, rifles as I defend the wagon train and even golf clubs as I invert it swing at a frozen horse apple and sink a 200 yard 4 iron shot to win a major golf tournament.

I think walking sticks are very good
They should be made of solid wood.
Swinging them hard as you can
Defeats the Parky Boogey Man
Don't be hard on yourself, try your best and be strong!

#4 McCall

McCall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

I just bought one of those Hurry canes you see advertized the bottom swivels, I found it to be too stiff for me so I gave it to husband who is the PWP. So far I can't get him to use it.
His problem and the need for cane is balance he sways about quite a bit, I wish he would realize he looks better and more in control with the cane than thinking he looks normal without it.

#5 Delta

Delta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

No balance isssues yet, so no walking aids yet. I bought a pair of walking sticks and keep them in the trunck of my car "just in case." I do practice my balance through yoga.

#6 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

I am actually terrified of the possibility of needing some kind of assistance walking rather soon.

My balance problems are getting a little worse, and i must admit i wouldn't feel comfortable as a 37 year old woman walking with a cane.

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

#7 jb49

jb49

jb49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

Christie, I can't picture you terrified. Everyone has a crutch of some shape or form. We need to accept the tools that will make our life safer and easier. I suspect that you would use a cane with flair when and if required. I understand you though. It isn't how we pictured ourselves is it as we live this life.

Keep up the good work and cheerful suggestions Christie.

jb
Don't be hard on yourself, try your best and be strong!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users