E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

Airport Full Body Security Scanners harmful to DBS Patients?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 simct

simct

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:07 AM

Currently many airports are using Millimeter Wave full body security scanner to scan passenger for concealed weapons, explosive and other contrabands. The scanner works by emitting very high frequency electro-magnetic wave onto the passenger's body for a short duration and forms an image of the passenger’s naked body, together with any concealed items, from the waves reflected from the object’s skin.

Airports such as London Heathrow has even made this into a mandatory requirement, if you are unfortunate to be selected for such scanning. No other alternative screening method will be offered to you. They have adopted the policy of "No Scan-No Fly".

In the London Heathrow website, it was stated that pasengers with implanted medical devices will NOT be exempted from the requirement, which brings me to my question - does such scanning method interacts or have any detrimental effect on the implanted neurostimulator, leads, electrodes, etc of a DBS patient?

Thanks.

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

I have not yet heard of a detrimental effect. Sometimes the scanner may accidentally turn your device off so carry your remote control!

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users