#1 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Yes, for me it is true... good can come from PD.

PD is a terrible dis-ease that robs life's normal routine, balance is poor, walking is very difficult and a bunch of other crap is making my body act as if it was 98 - I'm 54

Yet in the dis-ease I have been amazed at the wonder of what I use to consider "normal."

For example, walking three steps is simply amazing to me now. How our bodies and minds keep balance as we shift all of our weight from one leg to another without even thinking about it! Some people believe this body of ours developed by "chance" (evolution) with no Designer putting us together. Our body is so complex... I cannot believe it came to be without some One designing it.
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#2 Ken_S

Ken_S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Wisconsin (Lake Nebagamon)

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

From my perspective: Yes, good can come from having Parkinson’s.

However, my good may be someone else’s not so good.

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome

#3 bjenczyk

bjenczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationLittleton, MA

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Absolutely, yes. It gives me the opportunity to live my faith, to honor my Lord and to serve others. It lets me learn joy in suffering, contentment in trial, and strength in weakness. It let's me serve as a witness to God's goodness. As Paul says in Philippians chapter 4: "... I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

Dx'd 3/12 @ 48. Symptoms 7 years prior.
carbidopa/l dopa 25/250 6x daily, CR 2 pills at bedtime
No DaT scan, normal MRI. Dx'd by observation of neurologist,

Symptoms: left side rigidity when "off", sleep disruption, no sense of smell, minor fatigue, back pain

Still an optimist - what is wrong with me?

#4 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

YES!!!! PD has taught me to bloom where I am planted, and that the quality of my life depends not so much with what happens to my body, but what goes on in my mind!
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#5 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

I'm still waiting..........

#6 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

"Good" and PD simply don't match...Ups...wait ,yeah, there is something...PD made me realize who my real friends are. Who really cares for me and who doesn't. Who i can count on. Total eye opening experience. not always pleasant. my path now is much more difficult and lonely than before. but somehow i' ve learnt that no "good" can come from living in a dream.

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

#7 OneWingedVictory

OneWingedVictory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Can anything good come of having PD? Yes, I guess it is a much clearer understanding that we have a finite amount of time and should not waste it in unhappiness.
The One Winged Victory of Samothrace is a metaphor for our struggles, despite the odds, to keep steady and accept grace in the face of punishing adversity.

#8 vietkieu

vietkieu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

A book " Until I say Goodbye" written by Susan Specer-Wendel a woman who has MS whose only part of her body she can control is her right thumb with which she typed 89.000 words on her iPhone the "final wonderful year of her life" was a real inspiration for those who suffered serious illnesses like hers. Her philosophy was there 's death but first there is life and her advice is do what you delight in and do it no matter what. Quit complaining, accept and live with joy. The sale of her book world wide and the copyright to a film will bring her millions of dollars and will ensure financial security for her husband and children. What a marvellous example!

#9 Mihai

Mihai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Hello friends,

I agree with others here that PD can be used for good. Sure, if it had been my choice, I wouldn't have asked for it. However, I believe that we are often presented with trials in this life so that we can become more like the One who orchestrates the trials in the first place, but also so that we can eventually be of help to someone else who is facing or struggling with the same thing. Empathy is a great quality...but remember that to gain it, we must be taught by the very "beast" that we are eventually able to empathize with. There's no way around that. My trust is in God...who created me, sustains me, and desires the best for me...it's not always easy, but growth of any kind never is. He doesn't promise an easy road (in fact, quite the opposite), but He does promise to always be with me. Faith is my lifeline...I've always been up front about that. I know there is always a reason for what God does, even if it's only to cause me to depend on Him more. Peace and blessings to each of you...

Mihai

Diagnosed in 2001 at 33 years of age

#10 OneWingedVictory

OneWingedVictory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

Susan Spencer-Wendel was diagnosed with ALS in 2011 when she was 44 years old. She is married and has three children. The following is an excerpt from a recent interview with the couple on NPR:

"For [Susan's husband, John], it's been an understandably difficult time. "Every day I wake up, and I feel sad. That's my first emotion," he says. "And then I roll over, and I look at Susan, and I realize that she's not allowing herself to feel that way, so I can't, and I don't." Susan adds that she has down moments but is "generally doing pretty darn well.""

Wow. Inspiring indeed.

Thanks, vietkieu, for sharing Susan's story.

Edited by OneWingedVictory, 25 March 2013 - 07:05 AM.

The One Winged Victory of Samothrace is a metaphor for our struggles, despite the odds, to keep steady and accept grace in the face of punishing adversity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users