• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 simct

simct

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:30 AM

I am a Pakinson patient who had DBS done about 10 years ago. In a few weeks time, I will be travelling to Paris from London using the high speed train, Eurostar. I am concerned whether the high voltage line (25kV) that runs along the roof of the train a few feet above my head, plus other electrical systems on the train will have any detrimental effects on my DBS implants. It is not clear from the internet resources whether the train operates on magnetic levitation technology. If it is, then there is another area to worry about, isn't it?

Appreciate your expert opinion and advice.

Thank you

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

I am unaware of any DBS patients having trouble on this train. I would bring your remote in case you cycle off, but I doubt you will have any problems. You can also call your device company's support line.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 MIMILASTER

MIMILASTER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

I am a Pakinson patient who had DBS done about 10 years ago. In a few weeks time, I will be travelling to Paris from London using the high speed train, Eurostar. I am concerned whether the high voltage line (25kV) that runs along the roof of the train a few feet above my head, plus other electrical systems on the train will have any detrimental effects on my DBS implants. It is not clear from the internet resources whether the train operates on magnetic levitation technology. If it is, then there is another area to worry about, isn't it?

Appreciate your expert opinion and advice.

Thank you

You don't have to worry about high speed trains. I use it all the time, I even used it coming home from DBS surgery in Grenoble eleven years ago . IF it were a problem we would know by now, given the number of DBS patients treated in Grenoble, among which quite a few must have traveled by train.

Mimi

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

Thanks Mimi!
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life

#5 am0665

am0665

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Having a family member going on 15 years DBS, I have a few hopefully helpful comments, though no direct answer.

I remember the early years when neither Medtronic nor hospitals claimed or wanted to know about environmental electro-magnetic interference (EMI) with the IPG and extension wire. Then in-hospital danger like MRI and diathermy started being recognized.
Patients started complaining of special symptoms and IPG turn-off in a variety of situations. Cases of low probability of occurrence, but of significant impact. Medtronic published a small article http://www.medtronic...99300962cEN.pdf , also added special shielding to the IPG, modified the reed switches for IPG on-off and recommended no more looping of bilateral extension cords around both sides of the head. Beyond Medtronic's list of potential situations, patient forums were also mentioning cases of:
- walking near high tension transmission wires
- living near a military airport, where aircraft were testing electromagnetic jamming devices
- the vicinity of large speakers with magnets
- being outdoors in an electrical storm
- certain stores using particularly potent entry-exit screening devices

I've seen no information connecting high-speed rail to DBS. I reason that being away from the locomotive may help. SIMCT, you may wish to review what DBS model and extension routing you have. And maybe Medtronic has an answer for you. The issue is not whether the field exists; we all live immersed in electrically charged environment. The issue is the level... which hopefully is low enough.

#6 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Great post! Thanks for sharing.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users