#1 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#2 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#3 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

#4 OneWingedVictory

OneWingedVictory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

Great thread, Luther! One day we ought to have a dance party....

Here is one of my favorites:

The One Winged Victory of Samothrace is a metaphor for our struggles, despite the odds, to keep steady and accept grace in the face of punishing adversity.

#5 OneWingedVictory

OneWingedVictory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

And this:

The One Winged Victory of Samothrace is a metaphor for our struggles, despite the odds, to keep steady and accept grace in the face of punishing adversity.

#6 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

Oldies

#7 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

Sit back and relax

#8 OneWingedVictory

OneWingedVictory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

This is amazing.

#9 Rogerstar1

Rogerstar1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

Wow...perfect, thanks for posting that one. Who were the honorees? Not Robert Plant and Jimmy Page but Robt Bonham, the songs author? Best rendition of that one I've ever heard. Nice seeing the Prez & Michelle out enjoying themselves, too.

We've all known bits and pieces of the lyrics to "Stairway to Heaven" over the course of our lives, but can't say as I've ever had the opportunity to read them all as I've done this afternoon...many times. I'm interested in what meaning(s) parkinsonians think the writer meant to deliver with them and how you interpert them. Also, the musical term in latin or Italian that describes a song that builds to a crescendo as "Stairway' does - a word appearing frequently on sheet music.

Ok...figured it out, I think: Honorees were the band Led Zeppelin, of which John Bonham was rhe drummer and gets feted by his son on drums in the clip. Songs message to me was a cautionary on materialism and the evils of cocaine & heroin; standing up and staring down temptations. Crescendo is the word I was seeking about a songs musical build to climax.

If you have to get stuck in late afternoon PD mind stickiness loops...researching that video is a good place to have it happen. Thanks again for posting it.

Edited by Rogerstar1, 09 April 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#10 OneWingedVictory

OneWingedVictory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

Glad you liked that one, Roger! Here's another good one from a band with an excellent name, "The Alabama Shakes." Please enjoy~

#11 LarryH0123

LarryH0123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationAiea, Hawaii

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

Awesome rendition of Stairway! What an honor to one of the best rock and roll bands ever. I agree with Roger on the materialism message. I can't quite get the cocaine and heroin reference or inference though.

I also enjoyed the introduction to the Alabama Shakes.

#12 LarryH0123

LarryH0123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationAiea, Hawaii

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

Another moving song form that era. One of my favorites.

#13 OneWingedVictory

OneWingedVictory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

This isn't too shabby either:

#14 OneWingedVictory

OneWingedVictory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:58 AM

Just because~

#15 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

Yes, a great song. I must say though that Paige and Plant's voice and guitar work cannot be beat.
http://youtu.be/9Q7Vr3yQYWQ

My interpretation is different than R-R-Roger's.
I don't see materialism at all. I hear shadows of a drug influenced vision, with fairy-tail and eastern religious influences...

"There's a feeling I get when I look to the west,
And my spirit is crying for leaving."
= death

"Then the piper..."
= The “Pied Piper of Hamelin,” is the story of the man with the pipe that steals the towns children.
The “Pied Piper,” drew children, to follow him, to their deaths.

"...will lead us to reason."
= “reason,” may refer to either heaven or hell, because in traditional stories, including a personified death (the piper), they choose the eternal resting place of the dead.

The Original Sin that cast Adam and Eve out of Eden was eating from the Tree of Knowledge / Human Reason (Genesis 3:4) “You will not surely die,” the serpent said to the woman. “For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.””

"Yes, there are two paths you can go by" = self-explanatory

"Your head is humming and it won't go [away] , in case you don't know,
The piper's calling you to join him" = the piper leads to certain death

"And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last.
When all are one and one is all..." = Take your pick: Pantheism, Panentheism or Pandeism

Edited by Luthersfaith, 10 April 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#16 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

If you have to get stuck in late afternoon PD mind stickiness loops...

A line to remember. tanks R-R-Roger

#17 LarryH0123

LarryH0123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationAiea, Hawaii

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

Another from the era of drugs, sex, and rock and roll. This one tells of a stark reality of the day.

#18 LarryH0123

LarryH0123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationAiea, Hawaii

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Yes, a great song. I must say though that Paige and Plant's voice and guitar work cannot be beat.
http://youtu.be/9Q7Vr3yQYWQ

My interpretation is different than R-R-Roger's.
I don't see materialism at all. I hear shadows of a drug influenced vision, with fairy-tail and eastern religious influences...

"There's a feeling I get when I look to the west,
And my spirit is crying for leaving."
= death

"Then the piper..."
= The “Pied Piper of Hamelin,” is the story of the man with the pipe that steals the towns children.
The “Pied Piper,” drew children, to follow him, to their deaths.

"...will lead us to reason."
= “reason,” may refer to either heaven or hell, because in traditional stories, including a personified death (the piper), they choose the eternal resting place of the dead.

The Original Sin that cast Adam and Eve out of Eden was eating from the Tree of Knowledge / Human Reason (Genesis 3:4) “You will not surely die,” the serpent said to the woman. “For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.””

"Yes, there are two paths you can go by" = self-explanatory

"Your head is humming and it won't go [away] , in case you don't know,
The piper's calling you to join him" = the piper leads to certain death

"And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last.
When all are one and one is all..." = Take your pick: Pantheism, Panentheism or Pandeism

Interesting interpretation Luthersfaith. There is no doubt of the drug influence. Many of their songs were fairy tale influenced. LIike this one with a clear connection to the Hobbit by Tolkein.

#19 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

Thanks OWV

#20 OneWingedVictory

OneWingedVictory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

In the same vein~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users