4 replies to this topic

#1 Wondermom

Wondermom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:03 AM

April is Parkinson's Awareness Month. Here's some things you can do to make a difference.
1. Contact your local Parkinson’s Association to find out about local events.
2. If you’re able to, attend the Parkinson’s Unity Walk in NYC on April 27. I went 8 years ago, my parents are going this year for their 4th time. Team Tutu Train has raised almost $11,000 this year!
3. Email your friends and family. Tell them you have PD and ask for their help in finding a cure by donating to one of the following organizations;

a. The Michael J. Fox Foundation

b. The Parkinson’s Association

c. The Parkinson’s Unity Walk

d. The National Parkinson’s Foundation

e. The Parkinson’s Institute

f. The Davis Phinney Foundation (my favorite)

g. Whatever PD group you support

h. Need help writing the letter? Let me know. I’ll gladly help you.

4. Change your Facebook picture to the PD Awareness red tulip.
5. Add Parkinson’s Awareness Month and logo to your email signature. Personal and work, if you can.
6. Ask your employer if they do donation matching. If so, make a donation to one of the organizations listed above..
7. Ask your employer if you can organize a fundraiser with your coworkers.
8. Organize a fundraiser anyways. https://www.michaelj...fundraiser.html
9. Ask your kid’s sports coach if the team can wear red ribbons, socks, headband or sweatbands for PD awareness. My son’s baseball coach put PD Awareness stickers on all the boys’ helmets. How cool is that?
10. Call your local senators and congressmen and/or congresswomen. Tell them you have PD and you vote! Ask them to support research at NIH and other programs.
11. As a Young Onset Parkie, you have a story. Call your local news station and pitch them the story.
12. Do something for yourself. If you are not getting the support you need from your neurologist, find a new one. Be your own advocate and demand the care you deserve.
13. Join a YOPD group in your area. If there isn't one; start one!
14. Join a research study. Where? Check out https://foxtrialfind...ichaeljfox.org/
15. Follow YumaBev’s blog, http://parkinsonshumor.blogspot.com/ I promise you’ll laugh.
16. Spit. Go to www.23andme.com/PD and get genetic testing. It’s free for Parkies.
17. Get informed. Add google alerts on PD. Information is power.

Together we can all make a difference. Let’s work to find a cure!

#2 Sunnydaydreameer

Sunnydaydreameer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

How AWESOME!! Thank you sooo much for the information.. There is not a YOPD group in Northern Kentucky, and I would like to find a way to be part.. Im 39 and I am currently in a fight with the YOPD and been in the fight for over a few years now..

Thank you soooooo much for the information!!

#3 jb49

jb49

jb49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

Good morning and welcome :razz: daydreamer

Hey WonderMom.
great list. Thanks for taking the time to write it down.

I have met and listened to YumaBev's songs in a Parkinson's Chatroom. She is a great personality!

jb
Don't be hard on yourself, try your best and be strong!

#4 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Like, Like, Like, ditto, ditto, ditto!
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#5 Sean

Sean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNE US

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

April is Parkinson's Awareness Month. Here's some things you can do to make a difference.
1. Contact your local Parkinson’s Association to find out about local events.
2. If you’re able to, attend the Parkinson’s Unity Walk in NYC on April 27. I went 8 years ago, my parents are going this year for their 4th time. Team Tutu Train has raised almost $11,000 this year!
3. Email your friends and family. Tell them you have PD and ask for their help in finding a cure by donating to one of the following organizations;

a. The Michael J. Fox Foundation

b. The Parkinson’s Association

c. The Parkinson’s Unity Walk

d. The National Parkinson’s Foundation

e. The Parkinson’s Institute

f. The Davis Phinney Foundation (my favorite)

g. Whatever PD group you support

h. Need help writing the letter? Let me know. I’ll gladly help you.

4. Change your Facebook picture to the PD Awareness red tulip.
5. Add Parkinson’s Awareness Month and logo to your email signature. Personal and work, if you can.
6. Ask your employer if they do donation matching. If so, make a donation to one of the organizations listed above..
7. Ask your employer if you can organize a fundraiser with your coworkers.
8. Organize a fundraiser anyways. https://www.michaelj...fundraiser.html
9. Ask your kid’s sports coach if the team can wear red ribbons, socks, headband or sweatbands for PD awareness. My son’s baseball coach put PD Awareness stickers on all the boys’ helmets. How cool is that?
10. Call your local senators and congressmen and/or congresswomen. Tell them you have PD and you vote! Ask them to support research at NIH and other programs.
11. As a Young Onset Parkie, you have a story. Call your local news station and pitch them the story.
12. Do something for yourself. If you are not getting the support you need from your neurologist, find a new one. Be your own advocate and demand the care you deserve.
13. Join a YOPD group in your area. If there isn't one; start one!
14. Join a research study. Where? Check out https://foxtrialfind...ichaeljfox.org/
15. Follow YumaBev’s blog, http://parkinsonshumor.blogspot.com/ I promise you’ll laugh.
16. Spit. Go to www.23andme.com/PD and get genetic testing. It’s free for Parkies.
17. Get informed. Add google alerts on PD. Information is power.

Together we can all make a difference. Let’s work to find a cure!

Good Morning Wondermom...such a great moniker!
Thank you for this wonderful information. I hope to utilize many of your suggestions and hope we can raise awareness of PD and, in particular, YOPD.
You are most generous in sharing and it's much appreciated.
Take care,
Sean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users