Sean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNE US

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

Hello All,
Thank you so much to all of you who have been so kind to me in my short time here. I can deal with the tremor, the aches and pains associated with PD, but really have difficulties with one particular aspect of dealing with this disease, drooling! This has only surfaced w/in the past year but I find it especially difficult and it only seems to get worse with each passing week. I bend over and saliva pours out of my mouth or I find it slowly dripping out of the corner of my mouth while working or doing just about everything! I find having to remind myself to swallow so the saliva doesn't pile up to the point that it seeks escape.
Any others out there battling this issue? I have a 3 month old grandson, Nicholas, and it seems we have much in common! I drool, as does he. I have tremor in my arms and legs, as does he as he learns to control his arm and leg movements, and so on. We make a funny pair, eh?
Take care,
Sean

#2 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

Hi Sean,

I've had drooling issues for not quite a year. To treat the drooling, every three months I get Botox injections in my saliva glands. It's almost painless and works like a charm! I wouldn't recommend it for your grandson, though! :)
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#3 Sean

Sean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNE US

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Thank you, Dianne! I hadn't given a thought to such a thing! Botox, eh? Wonder if he would shoot a few into other facial areas while he's got the needle out?!
Take care,
Sean

#4 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

I have started to chew tobacco, so I have to spit a lot!

NOT!
Yes it is a problem...

Edited by Luthersfaith, 01 September 2013 - 06:06 AM.

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#5 Kristakj78

Kristakj78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

I drool at night, and we won't talk about how my pillow is in the morning :oops: I also had excessive saliva during my pregnancies which made me have super bad nausea.

#6 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

I just had my third Botox injection late this morning. I can have up to four a year. They make a big difference, but not all MDS are qualified to give them. It makes a big difference for me.
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#7 KimAgain

KimAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

My MDS told me that Botox shots can be given in the facial muscles, feet, salivary glands, hands, even armpit sweat glands... well, all sorts of places, really! Worth looking into perhaps?

Good Luck!

Dx 1994, age 45.  DBS surgery, 2009:  Bi-lateral; wires to one battery - on my left side.  300mg Sinemet CR daily.

#8 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

I drool at night, and I have to wear mask at my neck for my trach humidifier. Talk about gross! I always put a soft towel on my pillow

#9 Richie10000

Richie10000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Hi -am a new member. I too had trouble with drooling, but after taking Amytrptiline as an anti-depressant, it has a side effect of drying up your mouth and therefore stops the drooling.

#10 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

Some days are better than others. What really is bothersome is when I drool during the day! I'll be doing something and all of a sudden "drip, drip"
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users