11 replies to this topic

#1 noah

noah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

On one of the other forums someone mentioned that you had mentioned using mg citrate for constipation and she took it before bed and was able to have a BM(I cant even believe I am talking about this LOL) in the am. I am going to be traveling and wondered if that would be a good way to ensure a BM every day.

#2 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

Noah, magnesium in various forms is very helpful for constipation. For example, Milk of Magnesia, taken at bedtime, is an old, old remedy to relieve or prevent constipation. The liquid form of magnesium citrate is used to cleanse the colon in preparation for a colonoscopy. Tablets of magnesium citrate are also useful.

Today's processed foods strip away a great deal of magnesium, unfortunately, giving another reason to ensure we get enough daily. Aim for around 350 mg per day. If constipation still occurs, you can up the amount for a day or so, but talk with your doctor about long-term use of high amounts.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

#3 Beachdog

Beachdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationCape Cod Massachusetts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

For me, I wouldn't try to force a daily movement. I tend to go every 3 or 4 days and my bod tends to tell me when the time is right. Sometimes the toilet has trouble but the schedule works for me. Of course, when people think I'm full of it, they are usually right.

#4 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

Great response, Beach Dog -- I often forget that everyone is different in this regard, I needed that reminder. And I'm sure no one thinks you're full of it. Oh, maybe once in awhile....... ;-)
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#5 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

Kathrynne, you recently posted a recipe for constipation that included unprocessed wheat bran, which is insoluble fiber. I can only have soluble fiber due to constipation dominant IBS. Can you recommend a soluble fiber substitute for that recipe, which included applesauce and prune juice? Thanks!
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#6 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

Dianne, you can omit the wheat bran, and just use the applesauce and prune juice; prune juice contains a natural laxative which may work just fine for you. You can also try a serving of 4-6 very well-stewed prunes instead. I would also consider use of probiotics, particularly kefir, to help normalize the colon. For cramping and/or bloating, you might try enteric-coated peppermint oil capsules. It would also be ideal to rule out any food triggers; common ones include wheat products (including gluten), dairy products (if sensitive to these, kefir and yogurt must be avoided), corn, peanuts, citrus, soy, eggs, fish, rye, barley, and tomatoes.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#7 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Thank you, Kathrynne. I am already on an IBS diet which precludes the foods you mentioned and more. I take four stool softeners and four Amitiza 8 mcg tabs daily. I have been on both for at least four years. My PCP upped my water intake to 16 oz. every three hours from 6 AM to 9 PM about six months ago. Oat bran was suggested to me as a soluble fiber product. I don't know the consistency of that vs. the unprocessed wheat bran; it might not be a tasty combination. I do have bloating and will try the enteric-coated peppermint oil capsules. I avoid all pain medications that cause constipation as well as antihistamines like Benadryl. If there is anything else you can suggest, I am open to any and suggestions. :)
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#8 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

Oat bran is predominantly soluble fiber, although it does contain a lesser amount of insoluble fiber, I could not say whether it might present a problem in your particular case, though. Flax seed also contains a large amount of soluble fiber, with a lesser amount of insoluble.

For a non-dairy probiotic, consider gelcaps. They are easy to swallow and can be very helpful.

Also, there is fairly recent research linking some cases of IBS to insufficiency of vitamin D. The recommendation is to have blood levels checked and if low, take supplemental vitamin D. As people with PD have frequently been found to have low-to-deficient levels of vitamin D, I would recommend asking whether your physician has tested you in the past year; if not, I would ask to have this done.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#9 shell

shell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Noah, magnesium in various forms is very helpful for constipation. For example, Milk of Magnesia, taken at bedtime, is an old, old remedy to relieve or prevent constipation. The liquid form of magnesium citrate is used to cleanse the colon in preparation for a colonoscopy. Tablets of magnesium citrate are also useful.

Today's processed foods strip away a great deal of magnesium, unfortunately, giving another reason to ensure we get enough daily. Aim for around 350 mg per day. If constipation still occurs, you can up the amount for a day or so, but talk with your doctor about long-term use of high amounts.

What is your opinion regarding flaxseed and its use to relieve constipation?

#10 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

Shell, a couple of studies have shown benefits of flaxseed for constipation.

Grind the flaxseed, and start with 1 teaspoon daily, gradually working up to 1-2 tablespoons daily, taken with meals. It can be mixed into hot cereals, soups, or casseroles, or alternatively mixed with 8 oz water per tablespoon flaxseed and taken at mealtime. Like psyllium, it must be cooked into food or mixed with water, as the dry form can cause bowel obstruction.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#11 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

I've read on the open forum that some PD patients have been told by their doctors to avoid Metamucil. If it is working well to manage constipation and there is no known gastroparesis, is there a reason to avoid it as long as the person with PD is taking ample water?

#12 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

Golden, Metamucil is not my top choice, by any means. I prefer a diet naturally rich in fiber and when necessary, prunes, prune juice, bran flakes.

But generally, if something is working well for an individual, my thinking is -- "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." For one thing, it provides a large glass of water that people often don't care to drink otherwise; plus the fiber. If gastroparesis is not present, it should be safe to use it. BUT -- if your doctor has advised against it, s/he may have other reasons, so please abide by his/her counsel.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users