#1 Gardener

Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:54 AM

Hi Dr. Okun,

I was diagnosed with PD about 18 months ago at age 56. I'm on sinamet 25/100 3X day, and mirapex .50 3X day. I've been experiencing strange random weakness and pain in my limbs (both right and left). At times when I am mobile, my leg will "give out" or my arm will be painful between the elbow and shoulder. I have had pain in my hands (started on left) prior to my diagnosis, from base of thumb to wrist, and weakness in my wrists. I have had my hands x-rayed for other causes and recently had a bone density test - all normal. I also have chronic achilles tendonitis and a great deal of discomfort in my neck (I do have degeneration in the neck and back confirmed by MRI). Are these symptoms related to PD? Is it possible that my diagnosis is incorrect? Should I seek a second opinion? I've seen a MDS at OSU for 5 visits and she has not changed her diagnosis except that on my last visit she noted Parkinsonism instead of PD on my checkout sheet. She had no response to my pain issues.

As always, thank you for your time.

Gardener, female, 58, diagnosed at 55, 650 mg of Sinemet daily.

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,732 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:02 AM

This is a tough one. In most cases it is PD and there is also pain from another cause (arthritis present). However, over the years I have been humbled by simply increasing the sinemet dosage to test whether the pain is responsive to a change in PD meds. If it is I use a higher dosage. If it is not I lower the dosage. Hope that helps and this is definitely something you can share with your doc.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users