#1 bjenczyk

bjenczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationLittleton, MA

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

I am a CPA, and I am currently taking Pramipexole and Levodopa/Carbidopa. I take my meds at 3:30 AM, 9:30 AM and 3:30 PM. Sometimes I might be at a meeting or conference, and I get into a position where I cannot easily take my meds on time. Today I was in a training and I was over 2 hours late. I can feel it when I miss the timing, and I am curious if anyone else works in a public setting where you cannot get away to take your meds. How do you deal with this? I am open at work about my PD, and I don't mind having clients know. I just don't want to stick out and I can't always get away to take my meds. Has anyone dealt with this in a way that works for them? Thanks.

#2 OneWingedVictory

OneWingedVictory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

I carry a very small pill case that can fit into a pocket. I got mine at the MUJI store online. If I need to take my pills, I either excuse myself to go to the restroom to access water there or if I am on a site visit, I carry a small flask with water in it. If all else fails, I've swallowed the L-dopa/carb pills dry but I don't recommend it as they can stain your teeth.

It is far far better to suffer a small inconvenience or interruption during a meeting or training than to miss a dose! I've found if you do this nonchalantly, no none really even notices.

The One Winged Victory of Samothrace is a metaphor for our struggles, despite the odds, to keep steady and accept grace in the face of punishing adversity.

#3 Drummergirl

Drummergirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationWhite River Jct. Vermont

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

I also carry a small pill case that fits in my pocket. I take them wherever I am. It is not worth waiting, then having a wear-off. I think the wear off and worrying about a possible wear-off can be very disruptive.

I might open the case under the table or turn away if I can.
Dx in 95' at 35- Normal MRI, Abnormal Da t Scan- Resting tremor- right foot, leg tremors. RX- 25/100 Carb/ l =600 mg,
0.5 Azilect 1 daily Comtan 200mg 2 day, 0.5 mg Clonazepam 1 daily.

#4 annfisher43

annfisher43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

Maybe have meds in your pocket and excuse yourself to the bathroom and take them

#5 Vanillab1027

Vanillab1027

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

I carry a pill case on my keychain and either ask for a break or take a pill during a meeting. I act like it's the most normal thing in the world, even in front of clients, and nobody has ever said a word about it. People take medication on regular schedules for all kinds of reasons. In my experience over the past year, nobody reacts or even seems to notice.

#6 vipowitz

vipowitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

I just open my pill case, take my 2 pills and wash it down with a gulp of water from a bottle. If my clients are offended by this, not one of them has ever made it known.

#7 bjenczyk

bjenczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationLittleton, MA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:20 AM

Very helpful, thanks. This may be one of those instances where I am much more aware of my actions than anyone else is. Probably need to be less self-conscious.

#8 Island Woman

Island Woman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNewport RI

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

Think of it this way...if you had a head ache you would say...excuse me and down acouple pills or upset stomach...pop some tums...don't fight it...do what's right for you because you're the most important person.

#9 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

Very helpful, thanks. This may be one of those instances where I am much more aware of my actions than anyone else is. Probably need to be less self-conscious.

Yes... if you slip a pill in your mouth and drink water no one will notice anything odd.
I'm not in a professional setting so I get to shout "time for some drugs" and people just smile.
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#10 McCall

McCall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Be sure you always have a bottle of water with you in meetings or on your desk with clients, perfectly natural. You need to stay hydrated anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users