E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

Buzzzzzy Body, Tingly feet... is it just me?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 KimAgain

KimAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

Does anyone else experience a "buzzy" feeling in the body--inducing uncontrolled jerking and an inability to sit still sometimes? My hands and feet---even up to my knees sometimes--have excruciating pins and needles, too.

#2 Joe64Jones

Joe64Jones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:22 AM

I get that feeling now and again, never really thought that much of it though. I have only been diagnosed a couple weeks ago and I am still getting used to the idea of it and still researching what all symptoms I might have. Is this really one of them? This has been happening to me for a few years now.

#3 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • LocationSeattl, WA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

Kim, I've experienced that feeling in my arms since my mid-20's. I had no idea what it was until they started talking about RLS on commercials. It wasn't till after my diagnosis 30 years later that I recognized it for what it was. I used to call it the "weeblies."
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#4 Sean

Sean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNE US

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Does anyone else experience a "buzzy" feeling in the body--inducing uncontrolled jerking and an inability to sit still sometimes? My hands and feet---even up to my knees sometimes--have excruciating pins and needles, too.

Hello Kim,
I do get internal tremors in my torso when I'm overly tired and if I get off schedule with the meds. They're not really painful but they are annoying and can be quite strong. I had them for a couple of days this past week and one nearly flipped me out of bed and one almost caused me to punch my wife in the face while in bed!
I don't think we are talking about the same issues, though.
Take care,
Sean

#5 KimAgain

KimAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

3:30 a.m. and the the Buzzy feet thing has me out of bed again... still, at least this time I am at home, so I have a good connection allowing me to pass the time pestering Parky people! Tomorrow, we are going back to the RV for a few days and a very dear friend of mine has agreed to house and puppy sit so we can have some "alone" time, so if they don't have the connection up and running, you should all get some peace and quiet, too!

The biggest problem with the Buzzies, for me, is the whole body thing where if feels almost as if I've touched an electrified fence or something... just, a sudden Bzzzzzzz, during which my whole body tenses and my limbs or back draw up. It lasts only a second or two (seems like a lifetime) and then it goes off, but I'm left with the pins and needles in my feet and even sometimes, my hands.

I have only one theory...

The very first time it happened to me, was in the early days after my dx when insomnia was raising its ugly head for the first time. One night, desperate to sleep, I took a Tylenol PM--and, ended up not only getting no sleep, but sat up all night having the Buzzies all over my body. It was the first time, so I didn't know if it was a permanent nerve damage thing or what. Wayne sat up with me, holding me as tight as he could when each successive spasm would come on and thus we stayed up until his 6:30 alarm, at which time we were both exhausted. Gradually, the feeling got better and I was not troubled by it any further for some time. I mentioned it to my neuro's and they all agreed that the Tylenol PM contains something that either reacts poorly with my meds or my body, so it was probably that. There is Benadryl in Tylenol, so they put it down to Benadryl intolerance.

WELL... A few years ago, I got into a yellow jacked nest and was stung repeatedly (we lost count aft 37stings). Luckily, an anesthetist friend was just across the street and so we took a chance with Benadryl because we had to do something about the histamine reaction. No problem at all. Hmm...

Thurs. May 2nd 4:11 p.m.
Good grief! Fell asleep at my computer last night! (Not complaining, I'll take my sleep any way I can get it!) We are at the lake now, so where was I...? Oh yes, the Buzzies! My only theory is that it probably is something in Tylenol (and similar products) because it usually occurs when I have taken something like that for sore muscles or something.

So, has anyone else experienced this kind of thing? (If not, please for the love of Pete, someone lie!! I feel weird enough as it is!)
Kim

#6 newbob10

newbob10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

Kim, I am not lying when I say I know exactly what you mean. I have had this since the early days - Pre diagnosis. I have described it as feeling electrified or at times, like my body is being charged up. I will charge up until my body can't hold any more and then - Bam my legs will jerk, or my head will snap to the left or my arm will spasm. Usually it is my legs. I can feel it coming but can't do anything to stop it. Sometimes it will keep me up for hours. Today I could feel it coming on during a meeting and was able to head it off a little by moving my legs around under the table. Lucky guy across from me had no idea how close he came to getting kicked in the shins.

I've also had the feeling frequently that I am simply vibrating from the inside out. I lay straight, clench my jaw, fold my arms tightly across my chest and grit my way through it until I fall asleep or start with the sequence above.

Needless to say, I no longer sleep in the same bed as my wife, so at least one of us will get some sleep.

The one thing that does help is clonazipam. I take it once in a while when it is particularly bad. I dot like to take it all the time because it makes it hard to get up in the morning when I need to go to work.

If you get any suggestions from your docs that help I'd love to hear about them.

Good luck, and hope you get some relief!

Bob

#7 newbob10

newbob10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

Oh, on the tingly hands and feet, I have that in my hands right now. Drives me nuts. Haven't had it in my feet.

#8 KimAgain

KimAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:12 AM

3:02 a.m. by the lake still... Newbob, that's it exactly. Sometimes it only happens a few times, but most often it lays waste to a good nights sleep andm ggeberakkh...

I was trying to say that generally a clonazipam and muscle relaxer is the only thing that truly helps (as you can see, they are kicking in as I type!). I'll talk more tomorrow,
Night,
Kim

#9 Hokie

Hokie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Az

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:15 AM

I get what feels like electrical pulses that move from my shoulders down my arms. I always assumed it was pinched nerves because my shoulder muscles spasm and are really tight into my mid back regions. Botox injections into the shoulders and back help the pain and spams for a short time while relieving the sensation but returned rather quickly. Increasing the neupro dose has helped for awhile but lately seems to be getting worse again.

I guess I am lucky as the sensation is only in my upper body. Can't imagine having all over as it is not pleasant. Hopefully you find something that works. I take clanazopam as well to help with sleep but have not noticed it helping with the spasms. I find that lying on my back with arms tucked across my chest helps a little, although I usually wake up and my arms are numb. If it is not one thing then it's the other...

Here's wishing you a buzz free day.

#10 KimAgain

KimAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

I know it's a low bar, but it completely helps to know that my level of Parkinson's "abnormality," is... sort of, "normal!"

Thanks to everyone - and, please keep sharing, because I plan to print these out and take them with me to my MDS... Every little info helps, I believe.

#11 Mandy Neagles

Mandy Neagles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

I have been on clonazepam for years and while it is not the "best" med to take (d/t dependency and toleration issues) I couldn't function without it...

#12 newbob10

newbob10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

Morning fellow buzzers
I changed my anti-depressent from effexor to pristiq a couple weeks ago, and though some side effects are better (not as much constipation - yeah), my buzzing is much stronger again. Going to let it ride out as I know it takes a few weeks for these meds to settle out, but find it interesting.

Today its like I Hokie described - electric pulses just moving around in my upper body - in particular around my shoulder and upper arms, and my calves. Been feeling a lot more of the internal tremors lately - kind of annoying. I don't have my hand tremor as much, but to be honest, I think I'd prefer a nice hand tremor to feeling electrified.

No complaints - my life could be a LOT worse.

Hope all are well - I've been pretty silent on the forum lately - actually typed in a big reply the other day on my phone that got lost. C'est la vie

Bob

#13 KimAgain

KimAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

GROUP HUG!!

Honestly, I feel sometimes, like I'm talking to an alien when I try to describe these feelings to a doctor! I feel (almost) certain that there is a meds connection, but I cannot pin down exactly what, when, or which because, frankly, I think sometimes my body reacts this way to meds, sometimes it does not. So, in fairness to my docs, it's near impossible to pin down a diagnosis on a symptom that is this erratic.

I have been on clonazepam for years and while it is not the "best" med to take (d/t dependency and toleration issues) I couldn't function without it...

I save the Clonazepam for long-term sleep deprivation because I'm afraid it will stop working if I use it too often, but I second your sentiments, I too could not function (ESPECIALLY) when unexpected, "idiopathic" anxiety kicks in.

...Been feeling a lot more of the internal tremors lately - kind of annoying. I don't have my hand tremor as much, but to be honest, I think I'd prefer a nice hand tremor to feeling electrified.

No complaints - my life could be a LOT worse.

Hear! Hear! I have actually asked my husband to feel my leg in the past, to see if he can in any way detect the internal tremor you describe. I feel it so keenly, I am at a loss to understand how it cannot actually rise to the level of a visible tremor. It actually causes as much (or more) muscle pain when it goes on for a protracted period. It's next to impossible to get an MDS to adjust my DBS to correct it, without ending up over stimulated or stimulated in the wrong way--if you see what I mean?

On the, "no complaints" front...

As I explained to my MDS recently: I tell him every symptom I have, no matter how slight, but not always because I have any hope or expectation that he can or will be able to offer a solution. I share the information not to complain, nor to whine, but purely for his edification as a physician with regard to this disease and how it effects me as a patient. In other words, I said, "just because I tell you about it, it doesn't mean I'm asking you to fix it! So, unless I say it's a big issue, or you ask, please take it in the spirit it is given--for purposes of FYI only, in hopes that it may some day help myself or some other patient." He agreed and, in fact, told me that sometimes, "we doctors act like parents--if you are telling us about something, you must want an answer." I appreciated his candor and, consequently, felt that we had a much more "comfortable" visit because we were both open and honest in our expectations.

I guess it's the same thing with the Forum--I don't think any of us come here to complain or whine (though, God knows, many of us often have good reason and every right)---I think we come here seeking information, clarification, understanding, edification, or any number of other things that may or do serve to help us in our understanding and/or management of this disease. So I say, if you need to complain sometimes, go for it, I do not and will not judge as I've certainly done enough complaining of my own!

Channel 12 promised a rain-free day today, so I am going to head out to my yard to do a little "titivating." I just love playing in the dirt!

Live tough,
Kim

#14 KimAgain

KimAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

Oh, btw... Mandy, I'm certain I'm not the first to say this but, Welcome to the Forum. I'm glad you found us, but I'm sorry you had need to do so. ;-)

#15 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Ya feet, toes, mostly.
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users