#1 Judo

Judo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone here smokes Cigars or Drinks Coffee? I've been a coffee drinker ever since I joined the US ARMY (Infantry) Back in the 70's and I still do twice a day. I'm also a Cigar smoker and still do occassionally. Cigars and Coffee IMHO has never been an issue even after being diagnosed with PD.

#2 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

Coffee yes, smoke no. A few cups each morning, lately though Its been in the form of a16 ounce coffee energy drink.

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#3 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:15 AM

Nicotine and caffeine are just perfect for PD...And here's the evidence:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10857708

"We have begun quantitative studies of both acute and chronic nicotine in PD to assess both cognitive and motor effects......Preliminary analysis shows improvements after acute nicotine in several areas of cognitive performance, particularly measures such as reaction time, central processing speed, and decreased tracking error. Improvements in attention and semantic retrieval were not seen. After chronic nicotine, improvements were seen in several motor measures suggesting improved extrapyramidal functioning. This appeared to be sustained for up to 1 month after drug. The treatment was well tolerated. Nicotinic stimulation may have promise for improving both cognitive and motor aspects of Parkinson's disease."

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11772120

"Both retrospective and prospective epidemiological studies have consistently demonstrated an inverse association between cigarette smoking and PD, leading to theories that smoking in general and nicotine in particular might be neuroprotective. Nicotine has been shown in animals to stimulate the release of dopamine in the striatum, and to preserve nigral neurons and striatal dopamine levels in laboratory animals with lesioned nigrostriatal pathways. Coffee and caffeine consumption have also been shown in epidemiological studies to be inversely related to PD risk. Caffeine is an adenosine A(2A) receptor antagonist that enhances locomotor activity in animal models of parkinsonism. Theophylline, a related compound that has A(2A) receptor blocking properties, has been shown in one small trial to improve motor function in patients with PD. Recently, potent and highly selective A(2A) receptor antagonists have been developed that have demonstrated improvement in motor function in animal models of parkinsonism. Exciting findings are emerging that demonstrate attenuation of dopaminergic neurotoxicity with caffeine and other adenosine receptor antagonists in mice given the neurotoxin 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP), suggesting that these compounds may be neuroprotective. Evidence for the neuroprotective potential of nicotine and caffeine is compelling, but further work is needed before testing these and related compounds in clinical trials for both individuals at high risk of developing PD and those with early, untreated disease"

So...ENjoy !!

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

#4 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

Nicotine and caffeine are just perfect for PD.

...minus the well known health risks (lung cancer,cardiovascular diseases, etc....) associated with smoking, regardless of parkinson's. I would probably stick with lots of coffee and a cigar every now and then....Until the pharmaceutical industry finds a way to make nicotine-based drugs for parkinson's without the nasty side effects....

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

#5 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:44 AM

I'm thinkin about a pipe.
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#6 phaedrus

phaedrus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

There is a nicotine option - the gums and patches used by people trying to quit smoking. They deliver nicotine without all the other nasties in cigarettes - and nicotine itself ISN'T all that bad on it's own. Google "nicotine health benefits" for some eye opening discussions!
Reading all the studies on nicotine and PD, my personal opinion is that nicotine in a gum or patch form seems to offer PWP a lot of benefit with minimal concern over other health issues.

#7 Judo

Judo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

Yes! I've read that also Phaedrus! Thanks Christie and Luthersfaith for your reply! I've never been an Alcohol drinker but I Love Starsbuck Cafe Mocha and a Stogie now n then! Wishing All The Mothers in the House a "Happy Mother's Day"!!:-)

#8 Vanillab1027

Vanillab1027

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

Wow I haven't had a good cigar in a long time, and certainly not since I was diagnosed. I'll have to remedy that! My caffeine comes from tea though and that's a daily must for me. Can't function without it!

#9 Judo

Judo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hi Vannilab!
Smoked a Stogie this past Saturday after working in my back yard. Then had a Padron Cigar after dinner on Mother's Day with an expresso! It was Priceless!! Then rode my Harley Davidson with my Daughter who is on my sig picture here! Everyone tells me that She looks like Me! :razz:

#10 Oakman

Oakman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

Two cups of coffee every morning for me. Smoked one cigarette a day for years and recently switched to a vapor cigarette. Perfect for me since smoking only one cig a day results in 2/3 of each pack would be stale. I'm really liking the vapor cigarettes. Sometimes a few puffs is all I want. It is cheaper, I don't smell like smoke, no tar in the lungs, and I even like some of the oddball flavors like vanilla and peppermint. Can also choose among different strengths of nicotine. And the brand I bought warrants the battery section for a lifetime. Haven't tried the disposables.

Edited by Oakman, 27 May 2013 - 07:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users